main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme doesn't die at all???

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Emperor_Sebulba, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor_Sebulba

Emperor_Sebulba Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    I was thinking about Padme's death and I decided that it is quite possible she doesn't die at all, at least not in the film time period. Here are some quotes to support my theory.

Yoda in Episode II:
    "Do not assume anything."

Padme in Episode II:
    "I've been dying a little each day since I met you."

Obi-Wan in Episode VI:
    "He ceased to become Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."

Leia in Episode VI:
    "I didn't know her very well, she died when I was very young."

At any rate, the idea of "death" in Star Wars is very vague and I think it's quite posssible that Leia was taken to the Organa's, Luke to the Beru's, and Padme is still alive in hiding at the end of Episode VI.

edit: Sorry, but this is redundant. Please visit this thread here.

2. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    That would be a great waste of one of the most important characters in the prequel trilogy, and it raises the question of why on earth didn't Padme ever help any of her children? I think Padme's death is something that's very important in Episode III, as it'll be a turning point for Anakin, when there's no way for him coming back to the Light Side of the Force.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Padme is too strong-willed to hide the rest of her days and let her children suffer. She dies in Episode III.

4. Emperor_Sebulba

Aug 5, 2001
    Was Padme too strong willed to resist Anakin? Was she too strong willed to stop Chancellor Vallorum from being ousted? Was she too strong willed to leave Coruscant for the vote in Ep II? She's strong but not THAT strong. Maybe she was still in love with Anakin and didn't want to fight against Vader. It's not like she was that upset about the Tusken Massacre after all.

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    the line you quote "i've been dying a little bit each day..." fits perfectly into "she died of a broken heart" - any speculation beyond that of her survival into epVI is silly.

i am sure leia and bail were at the funeral.

6. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    She has to die. I agree with Oaksteve if she was still alive in ANH, she would have helped her children. And it'd be cruel of George to have her die between Ep. 3 and 4. I have a strong inkling she'll be dying on screen. It will bring about the emergence of Vader.

And I think she'll go down fighting. Sure, Padme loves Anakin but she wouldn't die because of him. She's too strong a person.

Here's a quote from the Visual Dictionary that I like:
    "...and if she is to be destroyed, she will go down fighting."

I'd love to see Palpatine kill her and then convince Anakin it was Obi-Wan's fault.

7. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Padme does NOT have to die.

1) Leia remembers her.

2) and most importantly. Anakin only must THINK Padme dead. Palpatine will pin it on the Jedi, furthering Anakin's descent to the darkside. This will also allow Padme to give birth to the twins in secret. (this is my pet theory BTW. I don't know if I can wait 3 years to find out. Any Ep3 bootlegs yet? :D )

8. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Yes, Leia does have to remmeber her, but that doesn't mean Padme survives. Especially considering how definate it is when Leia says "She died when I was very young." For me, Leia's conviction with which she says this makes me believe it to be true. And I just can't see George having Padme die off-screen between the trilogies. She's too important a character for her fate to be unknown.

9. Emperor_Sebulba

Aug 5, 2001
    Good point Mad...reminds me of another important quote in episode II.

Yoda in Episode II:
    "He has gone to the dark side. Lies and deciet his ways are now."(Paraphrasing)

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Well unless Leia remembers her through the force than she lives for a little while. Children don't start remembering things until the age of 2.
    This is however "Star Wars" so all bets are off.

11. Emperor_Sebulba

Aug 5, 2001
    "Yes, Leia does have to remmeber her, but that doesn't mean Padme survives."

But more importantly, it doesn't necessarily mean she dies. The classic trilogy is more about Luke, Leia, and Han, not about Padme, Anakin, and Obi-Wan. She's not as central to that plot as you might think. You must unlearn what you have learned.

12. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    There are going to be alot of things that happen off screen between trilogies. Padme dying (both when and how) may just be one of them.

That's just one of the hurdles of making a prequel trilogy. There isn't much wiggle room.

Of course we're also assuming that the twins are born at the end of Ep3. While it makes alot of sense and would be great cinematically, it's not set in stone.

For we all know the twins could be born half way through and Padme dies at the end.

13. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    But if Padme's children were fighting the Empire, she is not one to sit back. She'd take a stand and help the rebellion, especially since she saw the formation of the empire. Plus she'd be greatly affected by the destuction of Alderaan, considering her daughter was there for all she knew. I would think that would drive her out to join the rebellion.

And yes, Palpatine could probably try to trick Anakin, but Anakin is the most powerful Jedi ever, more powerful even than Yoda. Palpatine might trick him with words, but wouldn't Anakin be able to sense if Padme was alive? If he thinks she's dead, she would have to be.

Back to Leia again, she seems to remember her mother's death. She emphatically says her mother is dead, and she'd be the one to know. As for her remembering her mother, dramatic, life-changing events in our lives are always remembered, regardless of age. Yes, Leia can't be an infant when Padme dies, but I can see her being a year or so old. Her mother's death would be something burned into her memory, especially considering her ability to use the Force would enhance her memory. Additionally in the ROTJ novelization, Leia remembers being hid in a chest as an infant as protection against the Empire. Granted Lucas has occassionally changed what the novels have said, but the fact that Leia could remember this makes it possible she could remember Padme even though she was 'very young.'

Good point, Mad. I kind of have a feeling Anakin and Padme are going to be seperated for much of Ep. 3 as he falls to the Dark side. It makes total sense that he falls in the middle of the movie and the twins are born and then at the end, Padme dies and there's the final duel. But I definately think we'll see the birth of the twins. McCallum said somewhere in an interview we would see that.

14. timewarp13

timewarp13 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Since Lucas is filming new material for the Ep. IV-VI DVD release, it is possible that Padme will show up in the final cut, if she survives Ep. III, that is.

15. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    MadMardigan said exactly what I have been thinking. Anakin THINKS Padme dies. That will be in part what drives him over the edge. I can't imagine that Anakin wouldn't go after her if he knew she was alive. At the same time, Obi-Wan and Yoda must hide her.

I also think that we may not see her death. We most likely will be seeing the twins being born (ending the movie on somewhat of an up note). A child doesn't really form memories of their parents until they are around 2 years old. I doubt Lucas will all of a sudden, at the end of the movie, jump ahead a couple of years to show Padme's death. But who knows? Only Lucas.

16. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    We'll know in three years! :)

17. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
  18. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    Could Anakin sense Padme if she were still alive? I don't know. Vader wasn't able to sense Luke or Leia until he already find out. The force is a guide. It's not really like a mind reading super power. Things aren't exact from using the force. The force is more like a heightened intuition. So no basically. If she were still alive he may not be able to sense her.

A better reason might be if she were still alive would he want to sense her? Once he turns, Anakin ceases to be Anakin and becomes Vader. He casts off all of himself that was in order to become who is.

My feeling is that the turn and Padme's apparent death will coincide at the same moment. The "it's all obi wan's fault he's holding me back" line is critical to Ep3. To Anakin OB symbolizes the Jedi as a whole. So in essence the Jedi are holding him back.
    Palpatine will play off this in Ep3. Probably in a scene very similar to the end of ROTJ.
    The Jedi will find out about Palpatine and assign Anakin to stop him. he argues with the council that he should be in charge of protecting Padme who is headed into battle. Yoda disagrees.
    YODA: (slightly taken back) NO. Obi wan will be with her. Stop Palpatine you must.

Anakin storms off and boards his ship to stop Palpatine.

I foresee a scene aboard a Star Destroyer prototype with Chancellor Palpatine over looking a battle.

Anakin arrives to try and stop him. palpatine will tell him to leave the Jedi and help him put an end to this terrible conflict.
    ANAKIN: The Jedi are defenders of Peace. You do nothing but try and start a war.

PALPATINE: (vindictive) Jedi! The Jedi are corrupt and powerless. These Jedi are the ones who prevented you from saving your beloved padme. Look out there Skywalker. All of your powers. And the Jedi sent you here. To a powerless old man.

ANAKIN: (somewhat surprised) Obi Wan is with her. She is safe.

PALPATINE: No Anakin. She has been destroyed. Obi Wan was powerless to stop it. The Jedi are weak Anakin. (Anakin starts to break down) But you Skywalker. Are not. Had the Jedi let you go...SHE WOULD BE ALIVE, IN YOUR ARMS RIGHT NOW SKYWALKER! Defenders of peace. They have single handedly brought the Republic to its knees. But you Anakin, can stop it.

I think you get the point. From there his anger builds and he turns. Later when he confronts OB and discovers Padme is still alive its a little too late. He is no longer Anakin anymore so Padme no longer has any meaning anymore.

Anakin has a lot power in the force. But the anger and darkside clouds much of it.

19. Darth_Tyrannous

Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    If Padme doesn't die, it would be the easy way out and could rob us of possibly one of the greatest scenes in Star Wars history. I think Ep III should end with Vader at Padme's grave with across the stars playing softly.

20. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Remember how Leia remembers her mother. I can not remember the exact quote but she talks about how she is sad a beautiful. So she might not remember specific more images, i think we can all relate to that.

Also i do believe we have to know 100% the fate of Padme. It is a must.

21. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    great image Darth T.

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I agree with a lot of what has been said above, but I feel that Padme will live at least a year (or two) past the birth of the kids. My gut says that Padme will be injured in EPII and will go into hiding with Leia. My thought is that Obi Wan's warnings that she must protect her children and her own injuries are the only things that could prevent her from going out and fighting the empire. Somehow her dying at the end doesn't seem to fit for me, I'll have to ponder why.

I guess part of it is that I want Padme to be her own character, and not just an excuse for him to turn to the Dark Side.

23. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    Two threads to see:

Episode III: Padme
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6914719&replies=12

The Fate of Padme (old thread, but useful)
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=780377

24. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I agree that Padme must die onscreen. You can't have that important of a character die of screen in between Ep. III and ANH. If that happens then the EU will say she still is alive. She must die. I personally would like to see Anakin kill her in a fit of rage. Maybe she hides the children from him because he has turned and he kills her and that seals his place as Darth Vader.

25. Wheeler1978

Wheeler1978 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Leia states that her mother died very young. Who is to say that the mother she is speaking of is Padme. Maybe it is her adoptive mother, Mrs. Organa. Afterall, Leia goes with the last name Organa, not Skywalker. She doesn't know that Anakin is her father until Luke reveals it to her. Maybe the whole Padme dying at birth is true, or maybe Dooku kills Padme, as the Trade Federation have always wanted and he hired people to do in Epidsode II, and on learning this, Anakin turns to anger and hate and destroys Dooku....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.