main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Fighter Pilot costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Back up!

I just scanned my design drawings for this if anyone is interested, I can email you jpegs.

BTW-- yes that is all of Quincy's own hair.
    I put it all into 6 ponytails and made 4 sections in each pony tail with small clear hairbands. Then I used approximately 2"-3" sections of 1/2 wide silver metallic wired ribbon and clear tape to tie around each hair band. This will stay in place if you wrap the clear tape all the way around each ribbon.

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes! I'm interested. *smile* This is my "less involved" project for the beginning of next year, if there is such a thing.

I now understand why you padded the helmet for Quincy. I just got one last week, and ow! It does not sit easily on the head. Plus, the gap around the ears looks kind of funny, so I want to fix that, too. Eventually. *laugh*

3. tinka

tinka Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    I too am interested and would like the sketches to be emailed! I might need this someday for reference. Thanx! :)

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Here's a picture of the back of Quincy's head from before the DC parade. It doesn't show the silver bands, though, because of the helmet.

5. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I didn't get to do Quincy's hair for the parade....we bearily made it there on time for the parade to start...I just threw some water in my face and slid into my armor and ran down there.......

Quincy did have the hair-do done for the MotF costume event, she was in the Royal Court.

Does anyone have pics of that??

I was in armor and a full mask, so I wasn't directing any camera shots.....

By the time I yelled to Vince to get some shots of Quincy, he had used up all of the film.......

6. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Here are some tidbits of info on how I did parts of this costume:

I kept the tunic in 2 separate pieces. (front & back)
    I put velcro at both shoulders and down both sides.
    Quincy is growing so fast, I wanted to keep it as flexible to growth as
    possible.

I used 1/4 round, cotton piping cording for the piping all the way around
    the tunic.
    I used the material itself, wrapped around the cording as the inner ridge,
    and then I made cording out of strips of the same vinyl for the outer ridge.

I used the clothesline for the outer most edges of the gaunlets and the
    cotton piping cording for the inner ridges.
    You can get piping cording by the yard (it should be relatively inexpensive
    ~ $0.25 per yard) in the trims department of your fabric store.

I did end up sewing the fine vinyl to a (brown) denim to give it a lot of
    stability. You don't see the denim at all. I lined the insides of the
    gauntlets with a brown satin-y lining material. I found out later, after
    they were done, that I could have sewed them closed and Quincy would still
    have been able to get them on and off her arms, but I did end up putting
    velcro on them.

I did also use a length of featherweight boning (it's plastic) down the
    center of each gauntlet so they wouldn't collapse. I had the boning left
    over from the bodice of my cancan dress. You can use boning for lots of
    strange different applications though. I haven't even hardly begun to find
    the boning's full potential.

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Maggie posted some pics of Quincy (and Zha Zha Binks) on the Padawan's Guide.
    here and here.

8. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    WOW!!

EXCELLENT!!

THANK YOU!

I was in such a hurry to get her dressed and then get me dressed and out to the event, that I did not get any pics.

That really did look good.

(P.S. I can't see a thing in that mask!)

9. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Mrs MayimNaar where did you get those behind the scenes pic of Natalie in the N1 Flightsuit from ???

If only I could pics like of every other costumed character.

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Nos glad I could help!

Jarsis, I assume you mean the pics on my website. [face_clown]

They are from the Access Hollywood special. I believe there is similar footage on the "P-19 making-of" special on the OS.

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I did finally get some of my design sketches for this costume scanned recently.

12. roguetrader255

roguetrader255 Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2002
    hi looks like this thread is pretty much dead but i was wondering if anyone could still help me. I'm gonna make the Naboo pilot costume for a convention in march and it will be my first costume! Anyways did anyone make make the Ep2 mods to the don post naboo helmet? i was thinking of somehow moulding/attaching an airgun or ski mask to the helmet. any other ideas? (p.s im a guy if that makes any difference to the helmet - design, fitting etc.)

thanx for any help!

Mike

13. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    The helmet is pretty small and odd-shaped, therefore a little off-balance.
    If you don't have one yet, get one to see how it fits you.
    You have a good idea with a motorcycle or ski helmet face shield.

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Unlocking and bumping.
    :)

15. Darth_Doomgiver

Darth_Doomgiver Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    Hi there, does anyone have any patterns or know what materials or clothing can be used for this costume, my mum is a dressmaker so it should be ok to make them, i would like it to look acurate aswell

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I was just looking through pictures & drawings of the costume I made and the fabric remnants I used.

I used knits for the shirt & pants, upholstery vinyl for the tunic and a garment weight vinyl for the gauntlets.

17. Darth_Doomgiver

Darth_Doomgiver Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    Could horse riding pants be used if you dyed them?
    What about a thick type of long sleeved shirt dyed aswell?

Im snookered on the boots lol

18. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Hi there,

just posted it in a separate thread, but to push this one up again...

www.leosworld.de > Jedicon2004 > Seite 14

Enjoy !

BTW,

maaaany Amidala Pilots, but no Typho ?! A damn shame that I will correct in the near future :D

19. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Darth_Doomgiver

I suppose you could use those ready-made clothing items. If you are able to find them in the shapes you need. Although, dying fabric (and acheiving the colors you want) is not as easy as it seems. You have to be aware of what type of fabric you are trying to dye.
    I have found that for me, it's easier & faster (in the long run) to just make the pieces I need from scratch.

Padme's pants seem to look straighter than most riding pants / jodhpurs that I have seen.
    I just made a pattern based on elastic waisted, pull-on pants and tapered the legs from the knee down and added stirrups at the instep.

20. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    For my girlfriends costume we mainly used found clothes, e.g. the undershirt, and the pants. the pants are gymnastst pants, hence the white stripe at the sides. we didn´t care to remove it, but now that really bugs me. It is quite hard to find matching clothes, though. And really annoying when you find something almost perfect, but not the right size, or with horrible printing and other decorative stuff over it ;-)))

Michael

21. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query. :)

22. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    I'm doing this costume for CIV and I was wondering if anybody had modified the Rubies helmet and how they did it? A friend who does helmets and props will be helping me for that but I figured I would ask first for any advice!

So I got the helmet: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/helmetrubies2.jpg

The boots: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/bottespilot.jpg

The gloves: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/gants.jpg

The hair (which I have been growing mostly for this costume!): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/hair2.jpg

Got the fabric for the pants and the shirt: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/tissuspilote2.jpg

I still need to get a belt, do the pouches, figure out how to do the belt buckle and the gauntlets, find the perfect gunmetal-gray/very-dark-weird-color pleather or vinyl for the vest, do a black dickie and decorate the aluminum hair beads! I'd better get started soon...

23. Marianne_Solav

Nov 12, 2001
    I finally started this costume and I have a month to do it. [start panic mode]!

I modified my suede boots to make them more screen accurate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/bottepilotfinie.jpg

I found a brown belt and gray vinyl to make the vest. I also found some bottle green vinyl at home but I think I'll use the gray. It's more neutral and I think it will look better as a whole.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/tissuvestepilot.jpg

I started to make the belt buckle with wire and sculpey, but I'm not sure the end result would be great! First progress picture:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/buckle1.jpg

I already have some red pants for my Ysanne Isard costume so I might end up using them instead of making a new pair.

24. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    looking forward to seeing how your buckle turns out :)

25. Marianne_Solav

Nov 12, 2001
    Me too!

The rest of the costume is well advanced, so I'm very happy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Costumes/Pilot%20Padme/halffinished.jpg

Note: The back of the vest is not done yet. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.