main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pahk your cah in the yahd: The Bawston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Saper, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saper

Saper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2006
    [image=http://www.sd84.k12.id.us/hw/steve.miller/images/boston-red-sox_000.jpg]

Sweet, I get to make the thread for my favorite sports team of all time.

You are recommended, although not forced, to speak in Bostonian.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Um..saw Chowdaw....Chowdaw!

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I keep hearing on Sportscenter that there is still no progress on the Matsuzaka negotiations.

How is it that Boras (Not to be confused with Borat) thinks his client is worth 100 million?

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    How is it that Boras (Not to be confused with Borat) thinks his client is worth 100 million?

Because he always thinks his clients are worth more than they are?

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It's just the way Boras operates, and he's without a doubt the best in his business.

Deadline is midnight Thursday.

6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I don't think we're going to make the deal.

By the way, if we do, what's our rotation? Without him we have Schilling, Papelbon, Beckett, Clement and Wakefield. With one of them we have an odd man out? Who is it? Clement? Wakefield?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ESPN was also reporting on the 6 PM Sportscenter that if this deal falls through, Roger Clemens will be pursued relentlessly by Epstein.

Who Knows.

8. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Ewww. I know clemens makes sense...but I dont want him.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nothing official, but it sounds like the Sox might have reached a preliminary agreement with Matsuzaka

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2696321

10. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    edit: I am an idiot.

Anyways, 6/52 sounds pretty solid to me. Certainly a deal the Sox can be happy about.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    6y/$52m to him, overall 6y/$103m, or just over $17 million/year.

If he pans out to be the star he's expected to be, he'll be worth it, but thats a lot of money to have on the hook otherwise.

12. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Don't forget the merchandising/TV money he can bring in from Japan.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Thats true, and that won't be insignificant.

Also helps the chances of the Red Sox getting free agents from Japan in the future to boot.

14. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    The Sawks ah wicked awsome!

15. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Negative.

Clement has to be the odd man out though. Wakefield didn't have that great of a season last year for you guys but Clement simply got shelled.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

16. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
  17. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    And the Red Sox defeat the Yankees during their only pre-season game, J.D. Drew going to straight-away center for his first homerun while apart of the Red Sox (I forget who he had hit the homer off). Great game, Red Sox pull off a 7-5 victory.

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Since I am a Cubs fan I am by default a Red Sox fan.

19. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    As long as they do that, say, around the Sept time-frame, I'll be happy about it.

I have no idea what the heck we're going to do about a closer though.

20. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Well I am hoping this game is a sign as to what is going to come during the regular season.

On the closer bit, I really, really liked Papelbon last year, though this year, I am not sure what we are going to do, I just hope this matter is settled by the time the regular season comes around.

21. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    So true. The opposite goes for me as well. :p

I'm worried. I'm afraid he will exhaust himself way to fast in the game and not even be able to go 6 or 7. Though he was a successful starter in the minors, so I'm praying that he can adjust back to it well.

22. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    This thread hasn't been posted in since March 13th, and we've already had opening day at Fenway? :eek: My goodness...

I can't believe I *still* haven't caught a game with Matsuzatzka yet... maybe I'll watch tonight? In any case, this should be an interesting year. The media is so wound up, I can't remember how many articles about Dice-K I've seen already, and I've seen a lot of David Ortiz interviews, etc, too...

23. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I was at the home opener yesterday. Very good game, Beck did a great job, he was in the zone. He threw a ton of strikes, I think he ended up with about 73 strike percentage, which is better than is norm [like 50/50 :rolleyes::p ]

Ichi went 0 for 3 and struck out each time. I wanted to check SC to see if that was like a first for him... was it?

24. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    I made my first trip to Fenway for Wednesday night's game, and for all the Dice-K hype in Boston, you'd think he might have pitched better :p .

Seriously though, he looked OK, but his opposition looked great in comparison. What a time for the Bosox's bats to go to sleep.

Anyway, Fenway is an awesome ballpark, as I'm sure you're well aware.

Yankees Suck!

25. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Daisuke didn't get any run support whatsoever, and you can't win games without runs. He pitched fairly well, in my opinion. Fifteen K's in 2 games now, is it, with only three earned runs in the two. He'll win us a good amount of games if the Red Sox bats don't fall asleep (and I think we all know that's not going to happen too frequently).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.