main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's master plan

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by slimybug, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm just trying to get Palpatine's whole plan to become emperor in check, without, of course, getting spoiled for Episode 3.

So he's a senator from Naboo, and secretly the master of the Sith. He wants to become Emperor. To d that, he first needs to become chancellor. To do that, he first needs to get the current chancellor booted. To do that, he needs to manipulate his planet's ruler to make a vote of no confidance. To do that, he needs a crisis. He pays off the Trade Federation to raise their taxation prices, knowing that Queen Amidala will refuse to pay. He orders the Federation to blockade Naboo because of this. All the while, everyone else thinks that the Federation is doing this for their own greed, and even the Federation does not know that Sidious is Palpatine, or why he's paying them to do this.
    After a while, Sidious tells the Federation to start an invasion, making it legal by making a contract available to them that, if signed by the queen, wil make the invasion legal. Just as Sidious had planned, the queen escapes to Coruscant, where she pleads her case to the Senate. When they do not react fast enough, Palpatine encourages her to make for a vote of no confidance in Chancellor Valourum?s leadership. Just as he had planned, it goes through, and he is nominated for the new Chancellor. His ?case? gives him a strong sympathy vote, and he is elected chancellor.
    Next, he needs to create another crisis to have himself granted emergency powers, while. So he sends his apprentice, Darth Tyrannus, to Kamino, under the guise of the recently deceased Jedi Master Sifo Dyas to Kamino to arrange for a Clone Army to be created for the Republic, without anyone else actually knowing about it. They are cloned from a bounty hunter that Dooku recruited called Jango Fett. Next, since Sidious ?betrayed? the Trade Federation, the Viceroy comes to Dooku for help. Just as Sidious had planned. Now they have an excuse for the Federation to be fighting against him. Dooku spreads the word to outlying star systems that a Sith is in control of the senate, and rallies them to separate, with the Federation?s droid army as their force should it come to war.
    As Sidious had planned, Senator Amidala is a strong voice against the separatists, making her an object of assassination. Sidious hires Jango Fett to assassinate Amidala and purposely allow them to follow him to Kamino, where they will discover their army. As the separatists threat increases, it is known that the senate will not make for the Clone Army to be fully made legal for their use in time. So they grant Palpatine emergency powers. Just as he had planned.
    After the ?Clone Wars? is over, and the jedi weakened, Palpatine uses the Clone Army, which follow his commands, to take over Coruscant and declare himself Emperor, hunting down and destroying all the jedi knights.

I think that?s pretty accurate, but I have just one question.

After Chancellor Valourum had been booted, Palpatine had what he wanted. He didn?t care what happened after that. So why would he send Darth Maul to Naboo?

Slimy!

2. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Maul was eager to bag himself some Jedi.
    It's quite possible that Maul acted without orders from Sidious...

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm going to allow this to stay for the time being, but it does deal with PT issues only. When the PT forum opens Saturday, I will move the thread there. Cheers.

4. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    It's possible he was testing Maul - to see if he was powerful enough to take on Jedi Master Qui-Gon and his padawan, Obi-Wan.

He obviously wasn't up to the challenge. Enter Count Dooku.

5. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Maul attacks the Jedi on his own accord. Palpatine tells Maul:

"Be patient...let them (the Jedi) make the first move."

Maul was the one who sought them out instead of being patient. His impatience was his undoing and Sidious knew this.

However, Palpatine sent him there because he was counting on Maul's impetuousness getting the better of him.

He knew that Qui-Gon would be no match for Maul and would die. This would serve two purposes.

First, he knew that Jinn's former Master, Count Dooku, would leave the order. He knew he could use his padawan's death, along with the political corruption of the Senate, to lure Dooku to the Dark side.

Second (and most importantly), he knew that without Qui-Gon's guidance, Anakin would be VERY vulnerable to the seduction of the dark side. That's why at the end of TPM, Palpatine tells Anakin:

"I will be watching your progress with gret interest."

He was planting seeds and molding the impressionable Skywalker from that second on. He realized that he could become the "father" that Anakin didn't have.

Palpatine knew that Anakin's passions would get the better of him. That's why he suggested that Anakin go with Padme (ALONE) to guard her on Naboo. He knew that Anakin would grow attached to her and Palpatine knew he could use that to manipulate Anakin to the dark side.

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Makes me wonder how he got to be the Senator of Naboo in the first place [face_thinking]

As for sending Darth Maul to Naboo? Maybe he just didn't want to leave anything to chance. After all, it probably took a while for him to actually get elected chancellor. He did have a couple of other senators to run against.

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Makes me wonder how he got to be the Senator of Naboo in the first place

There's an EU answer if you care to hear.

8. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Didn't Sidious send Darth Maul to Tatooine to deal with the Jedi first? Wouldn't it be the same reason for sending him to Naboo?

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Sure :) I love the EU. Well, most of it anyway ;)

10. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    the trade federation took over naboo to protest the taxation of trade routes

11. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh. I thought. Well, you know what I thought. But why would htey blockade Naboo, of all planets?

Slimy!

12. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    No, you are right about that, Slimy. It wasn't a coincidence, obviously, that it was Naboo. That was part of Palpatine's plan.

13. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Because the exact reasons you listed. The "blockade because of taxation" was only a facade of the plan to generate Palpatine a sympathy vote. Obviously Palps wasn't going to tell Gunray, "Hey, listen, I'm going to manipulate your organization into taking over Naboo so that I can get a chance to become Chancellor and eventually Emperor."

No, he manipulated the Trade Federation into actually thinking their cause was a noble one, and that the Republic was a failing organization not capable of sustaining itself, let alone worlds like Naboo. A line of thought that transfers right down to the reasoning behind the CIS.

14. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    Yeah, but why would the Federation blockade Naboo of all planets. I thought it was because they taxed them and they efused to pay.

Slimy!

15. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    The Old Republic was taxing trade routes, which was hurting Trade Federation profit. Sidious manipulated Nute Gunray into thinking that blockading Naboo, and launching an invasion to make the Queen sign a contract to legalize the blockade, would get the Republic to relieve the taxation on those routes.

Palpatine, however, had no care about the taxation part of it-- he wanted to generate a Vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum because of his failure to keep the Trade Federation from invading Naboo, and get a sympathy vote from the Senate to help him get into office.

16. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Zebra3: This was in one of the Clone Wars comics (I forget the number, but it's in TPB #5). This took place in a flashback. There was this jedi from Naboo who was the son of the corrupt senator. They were in a speeder when a bounty hunter opened fire on the speeder, killing the Jedi's father. We then go to the Senator's funeral on Naboo, with the Jedi alone. Palpatine walks in explaining that he's the newly elected senator of Naboo. The Jedi was thinking maybe he should have gone by his father's wishes and become a politian to un corrupt the republic. He and Palpatine strike up a deal that Palpatien will listen to this guy's political advice, and the Jedi will inform Palpatine more about the Jedi Order, and it's ideals, yada yada... So it's pretty obvious that Palpatine arranged for the assasination of the senator so that he could step up to the position, much like what he did with Valorum in TPM. And he gets the added bonus of learning more about the Jedi Order. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.