main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Parents house) Why was this scene cut?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Count_Nikki, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Nikki

Count_Nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2005
    I loved that scene. I dont understand why they cut it.

Do you think it will be added to the movie in the Saga box-set?

Share your opinions please.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I don't know why it was cut. I liked it as well. Perhaps George thought it would make the movie too long.

3. Count_Nikki

May 8, 2005
    But it would give Padme so much more charecter.

Off-Topic: How do I add smiles to my posts?

4. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    click the 'faces' link.

It was cut mostly for time reasons. Those scenes with threepio were too pivotol to the story to leave on the cutting room floor. :\

It's also said it was redundant. How, I fail to see.

5. Count_Nikki

May 8, 2005
    Thanks.

Yes I cant see that either. :confused:

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm glad it was cut. It kind of gave a history on Padmé, but however, that wasn't a key part to the storyline. It was a good scene, though. That's why it was put on the Deleted Scenes list.

7. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I liked the information it gave as well as the purdy Naboo scenery eye candy; but it would've dragged the movie down wayyyyyy too much I think. Plus the average-movie goer-Joe probably wouldn't have cared about the background of Padmé's family, and Lucas has to keep them in mind as well as the fanbase. :)

Edit: I forgot that IGN doesn't like my regular HTML tags. :p

8. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    It was an excellent scene. Some real good dialouge and acting.
    But it really wasn't necessary and being cut out made sense. I do hope that it can somehow be put back into the movies in the future.

9. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    Why was it not necessary. It divulged information to me about Padme and insinuated things that really helped me understand her point of view in regards to how she feels towards Anakin, as well as added the whole 'old friends' part which was nice. I'd rather watch this scene than listen to some babble about birds singing and Naboo being soft.

10. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    it was probably cut because of time. I agree with the above poster, it would of done better then the scenes they had it. It would of helped establish padme's love for anakin. It shows the side of her wanting to settle down and everything.

11. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I would have cut it for time purposes as well.

However, I would NOT have cut the extended arrival to Naboo. It would have only added about one extra minute to the film, and really explained Padme's motivation for loving Anakin in only a few short lines.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Deeysew posted on 5/13/05 4:31pm
    Why was it not necessary. It divulged information to me about Padme and insinuated things that really helped me understand her point of view in regards to how she feels towards Anakin, as well as added the whole 'old friends' part which was nice. I'd rather watch this scene than listen to some babble about birds singing and Naboo being soft.[hr][/blockquote]

This gave backup information on Padmé, yes, but it just simply wasn't necessary to the storyline.

13. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    Fine, not to be mr. cynical or mr. sarcasm, but if this had less to do with the story than the meadow picnic scene, then so be it.

14. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    if this had less to do with the story than the meadow picnic scene, then so be it.

Meadow picnic gave us: Anakins motivation for supporting a dictatorship, Anakins ignorance of the Republican system, Anakins jealousy of other men in Padme's life, Anakin and Padme playing around, Padme geniunely worrying for Anakin and them genuinely being happy with each other.

Parents house gave us: Padme's motivation for wanting a husband/lover, Padme's half-motivation for liking Anakin, Padme's motivation for being the senator she is (which really isn't anything new to the plot), and a view on what Padme sacrificed to be a senator.

Really, in the big scheme of the saga & all - it's not that hard to tell which of these scenes is more important.

Don't get me wrong, i'd have loved for both to be there - but if i had to choose, it would be very easy.

- O_F

15. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I would have put it back...

16. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If time reasons is why Padme's parents were left out of the film, then it's ridiculous because Lucas should've made the film longer instead of sticking with the "2 hour film" tradition.

17. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    Meadow picnic gave us: Anakins motivation for supporting a dictatorship, Anakins ignorance of the Republican system, Anakins jealousy of other men in Padme's life, Anakin and Padme playing around, Padme geniunely worrying for Anakin and them genuinely being happy with each other.

Yeah, yeah... but most of that could have been left out. We already know he has deep feelings for her which lead to jealousy and all that. To padme, he was only joking about wanting a dictatorship, to make fun of her I guess. I'll be honest. I really don't like that scene. Both characters look uncomfortable, and I have no idea what they were talking about besides the part about old boyfriends, which is great character development for mr. Palo, but I'd rather get to know Padme before she takes the plunge into hell with a jedi who's destined for evil. Rolling around in the grass... laughing and acting like little children... missionary position.... riding the shaak creature... it just ate up precious time and went no where and added nothing to me. The next scene they were having lunch, after a picnic.

Being spoiled like I am for RotS I can't really say whether that scene helped us understand his motives. He's really a different guy in that movie. Certainly the tatooine scene did, but that one, I'd have left out and replaced with that delightful little family dinner scene. It had a lot more heart, and adding depth to Padme's character Strilo edit: Removed ROTS spoiler

Plus she looked so good in that outfit....

18. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Strilo edit: If you see a spoiler, don't QUOTE it... tell a mod for cryin' out loud.

Uum...so...isn't that a spoiler?

19. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    I really, really enjoyed this scene and I'd love for it to be re-added into a future release.

The way Anakin reacts to a more 'conventional' family is great, it's what he needed. Just think, if Anakin had been raised like this instead of being a slave, who'd have known what he'd end up like?

It's just great.

20. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Well it's a good scene it really add nothing to the over all story.

21. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    they should of kept this scene and lost the terrible queen jamilla scene.

22. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    But you have to look at the scene and ask what it adds to the over all story. If it does not add any thing then why keep it? Sure I like it but it does not add any thing as to the voer all main story.

23. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    they should of kept this scene and lost the terrible queen jamilla scene.

That, i can most definitely agree with :)

- O_F

24. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    It took me right out of th emovie. The stuff in that scene was WAY too un-Star Warsy. Keep it out.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    How could it take you out of the film when it's never been IN the film?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.