main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Parks sabers

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by agfstyrer, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worm5

Worm5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    Well, I'm sure Jedi-Loreen will be able to tell you much much more, but for one thing, the EL sheet blades that came with my Parksaber have a big ol' honkin' line running up the side where it overlaps. The wire ones that I'm going to order from The Custom Saber Shop don't. Past that, I'm not sure.

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Parks blades can be nice, if you just want to walk around with a nice, pretty blade.

But if you want to get into serious dueling, then Parks are not so good for that. You will see the EL sheet start to twist. This can become so severe that it will break the wires at the connector end. To say nothing of having the look of a tightening spiral line inside your tube.

Then, you will start seeing dark spots along the edge of sheet where impacts have damaged it and it starts to short out.

I've seen these things in other people's blades.

None of this will happen with EL wire and a tube for a diffuser.

Don't get me wrong, I like Parks stuff, I own 2 of his sabers, but his blades can leave something to be desired, as far as dueling goes, as I have seen the problems that happen with them over time.

3. Pantsman

Pantsman Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    Very interesting. I was more interested in the difference in appearance, but I'm glad I found all of that out. But even if they are better for dueling, how do they look in comparison? Also, can one get EL wire blades that are compatible with Parks hilts?

4. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    The Custom Saber Shop www.thecustomsabershop.com has the EL Wire blades you're looking for. They are compatible with Parks hilts if I recall correctly.

EL sheet blades have a seam going up the blade whereas EL wire blades do not. I've seen EL sheet blades and diffused EL wire blades up close and side by side. The diffused EL wire gives a nice radiant glow while the EL sheet has this wierd grainy look that is rather hard to describe.

5. Pantsman

Pantsman Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    Alright, thanks. I think I know what you mean by grainy, there is a defenite sort of grainy texture to the EL paper in my Parks blade, though its only really noticable if you look closely. Nevertheless, I think I'll be buying one of the EL wire blades from the website you linked to, (unless anyone knows if there are better vendors for parks-compatible ones) so thanks a lot. All I need to know now is if they're compatible with the Parks EL graflex's "Deuce" system, which uses two 9V batteries. Can anyone tell me?

6. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    Yes, the blades at the Custom Saber Shop are fully compatible with the Duce system.

7. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    EL wire blades seem to work better with the newer Parks sabers. I have an older Parks M2 that I bought in 2002, and my EL wire blades aren't very bright in it. I think he's changed the frequency of the inverters, since my aqua blade looks more green with my M2, and more blue with my Fusion. I don't know what other differences make my blades brighter in my Fusion.

8. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I have to agree with Jedi-Loreen, dark spots/twisting. You can set the line straight again by pulling on the clear plastic tab at the top with pliers and resetting it carefully... I have a few Parks blades that are in rough shape from HEAVY duelling. Light duelling seems to be ok.

Another solution is have one blade for show, and one for go! (expensive)

At some point I do plan on looking into the Custom Saber Shop blades, I have a decent supply of new Parks blades, right now, but may go that route when replacing them as needed...

9. Pantsman

Pantsman Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm going to order an EL wire blade from the Custom Saber shop, probably red. Thanks for being such a great help to this saber n00b, you guys are awesome. I'll be sure to post on these boards with any other qeustions.

10. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I solve my twisting problem by drilling a hole in the clear plastic at the top of the EL sheet, tapping it and installing a clear polycarbonate screw into the hole, cutting of the head and trimming and sanding it smooth and flush with the outside of the tube.

But that's not something most people have handy. :p

I just don't really use mine for dueling purposes very much.

11. Chewbacca_11

Chewbacca_11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2005
    I very much enjoy snapping FX's with my Shadow...[face_devil]

12. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
  13. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Someone that owns a park saber, could you post or pm a pic to me so I can see what these look like. I'd like to see one lit up and one turned off.

14. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
  15. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Yes, and I just hadn't remembered cuz it'd been a while. I still kind of like the fx ones better.

16. crowe07

crowe07 Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Does Parks still do the replicas of like Lukes ROTJ saber, or does he no longer do them? Feel free to PM me if this shouldn't be discussed ont he boards.
    thanks

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    He doesn't make replicas but he does have designs that "just happen to look kinda like" the movie designs. The closest thing that he has to the Luke-RotJ is the Arc Wave.

18. zambi

zambi Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2004
    Yeah, he still makes all the sabers from the movies. He doesn't advertise them, but he has always made them.

19. Jedi_Knight_Logan

Jedi_Knight_Logan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2006
    I'm thinking of ordering an Avenger myself. It seems that it comes with a D ring but I was wondering if Mr. Parks could fit it with a covertech instead? Also he mentions that the blades are custom, does this mean that I could get a blade shorter than 40 inches? Being that you own one, if you can help me with any of these questions I'd really appreciate it.-Thanks

20. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    The blades are probably called "custom" because they are only meant to be used in Parks sabers, and the fact that they are EL sheet, instead of wire.

I am not aware of them ever having made blades in any other length than 40".

21. Jedi_Knight_Logan

Jedi_Knight_Logan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks Loreen,that helps.

22. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    If you want a shorter blade, you can always buy an "after market" EL wire blade that will work in your Parks saber. You can get one from the Custom Saber Shop, or just buy the parts to make your own to whatever length you wanted.

23. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I never had a problem with my park's EL film twisting. I've had mine for 5 years with straight full out daily dueling and had no film twisting, guts popping out or anything. Only problem I had was the polycarbinate tube would get scratches or nicks but that's from use. I usually send my hilt and blade in for servicing every year or every other year.

24. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, then you're lucky. Almost every blade I've seems start twisting inside.

25. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, then you're lucky. Almost every blade I've seems start twisting inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.