main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Petition for 'Dark Empire' novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralZaarin, Jul 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Who here would like to see a novelization of Dark Empire?
    I would, so I sign the petition.
    *signs petition*

2. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I would. I think that it is strange to have such a MAJOR event take place in a comic.
    I would just love to see it out into a novel.
    I woul also like to see Luke and Mara's wedding made into a novel because such an important event should. If they filled it up with more of a story line as well as having Luke and Mara wed.

I sign the petition for the "Dark Empire" novelization!

3. mister_jedi

mister_jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2001
    i wanna sign too

4. the_jaded_1

the_jaded_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2001
    Yup, me too. for both of them.

5. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I don't really think they need a DE novel. Between the comics and audio dramas, it covers the events pretty well.

6. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    I want to see both in a novel. Please, LFL.

7. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'd love novels. Lots of material that could be brought into them, such as Lumiya and Carnor Jax and the well thought out betrayal of Palpatine

8. ColonelSanders007

ColonelSanders007 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2001
    A Dark Empire novel would be cool.

9. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    It would provide us with more depth on the story and i for one would like that.

10. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    yeah i'm not that big into comics...i don't think i got the full effect of DE. i'll go for it, novels would be great!

11. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    It would be a good idea and hopefully more of the finer points (about the clones, Force, etc.) would be explained.

12. Darth-Hannibal

Darth-Hannibal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2001
    I agree with Simone, there is very major stuff happening in this series, and I agree with Skawookiee that the events are covered pretty well, but what of the characters?

The beauty of having a book over a film is what you learn about the characters, their emotions, opinions and motivations. Granted, that can be expressed better in a comic than a movie, but overall a book wins hands down.

I don't read many of the comics, but Dark Empire was one that I did, because I knew it had some major stuff in it. I came away disappointed, mostly because of the point I described, that there wasn't enough made of it all. You just can't convey that drama properly in comic form, one of the reasons that the duel between Luke & the clone Emperor was so empty in DE1. I don't know about the audio version, as I never listen to them. But I think Dark Empire is perfect for novel conversion.

Now we are faced with another question: who would you like to see write said novel?

I think that James Luceno would be a good choice, he has proven to be adept at writing in two very different periods in the history of the GFFA.

Alan Dean Foster might do well, although I would want to read TAS before deciding on him.

However, my choice would be Kevin Anderson. That's obviously going to be contested, but it can't be denied that many of the issues that apply to Dark Empire apply to the Jedi Academy series, mostly Luke and his fear of the Dark Side. And besides, a nice DE trilogy would sit nicely on the shelf next to my SFBC Jedi Academy Trilogy!

13. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I'd rather see a novel about Mara and Katarn attempting to assassinate Dark Side Luke.

14. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    While I don't see a novelization as being needed, it could flesh out a lot of the characters while also filling us in more on where other characters were and how they were involved with certain aspects. I'd love to hear more about where Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and Carnor Jax was (I'm still not sure that I like having Darth Lumiya in the continuity but it seems she's being wedged in).

15. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'd like a novel of Dark Empire...

17. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Wow!
    So many more people than I thought have signed it!
    When it is complete, do I send this petition in to Dark Horse Comics or Bantam Books or someone else?

18. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    but why? what's the point?

19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    This would be a great read, especially if they added a lot of the off screen stuff hinted at.

*whew* what a good idea.

20. bespinct

bespinct Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    I think that is a "novel" idea! The DE comic is the only one I have purchased. It is largely the reason why I have only purchased one. The novels offer so much more for the characters than a comic can. Also, in a comic I find a character's thought process to be a distraction...I'm weird I guess!

As for author's...the only one that I would be worried about woud be Michael P. Kube-McDowell. I remember first reading the Black Fleet Crisis and thinking that things did not click. Anyway, I digress!

21. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Although it's terribly late & I feel that the audio book (found at book stores) & the comic (book stores again) are enough, it could be beneficial if the story is told from new & different viewpoints.

It would be nice to know what Palpy's clone was thinking. Also, there could be appearances by the Interim Council, Carnor Jax, Nom Anor, Kir Kanos, Mirith Sinn, etc. (which a lot of CE critics would not like). It could also show what Mara, Karrde, Kyle Katarn, the Emperor's Hands, & other now-important characters were doing.

OR it could be told in a 1st person viewpoint & be about Corran Horn, written by Stackpole. It could show the Rogues celebration (Isard's Revenge) interrupted by the re-taking of Coruscant. Then what Corran did through that period of time.

I actually think an I, Jedi prequel would be good after envisioning it. Why not?

22. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    DE and DE2 are the only SW comics i have, and they do not really encourage me to get more. I found (and i'm probably predjudiced (sp) cause i'm a novel reader) that so much just seemed to be taken at face value. It got really annoying in the parts where all the clones are dead and <poof> there's Palps again with no explanation, doing his best Dracula impression and doing things weirdly and with strange motives. All of a sudden, every single piece of technology in SW is declared obsolete due to the new toys the Emperor has. The Dark Side is given way too much credit for things and now we have super huge ships (like Eclispe) pop out because the Emperor wants a ride. The Galaxy Gun is declared to be so powerful and great and magnificent and kick-@ss, yet hardly any explanation is given as to how it works and where it came from. At least the Sun Crusher had a more or less reasonable (though improbable) explanation and back-story.These super superior Dark Jedi turn out to be the weakest guys ever (except for Hethrir) and are easily killed by a Jedi with hardly any training and a wide-swinging lightsaber.

The realism of the X-wing series is totally thrown out the window. Now the Force is the major thing. The Rebel Alliance is just there for the show and can't possibly win cause they're just ordinary mortals. And every Imperial, even the stormtroopers, are now empowered by the Dark Side.

Does Luke's new band of Jedi remind anyone of something out of X-men ? With the spiky haired Rayf, Jem with her weird hat, Leia looking strangely large with her cape, even for a pregnant girl, and the great King Brand as a floating ball with half a head. Sounds like a bike gang.

23. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Allo all...Jastermereel returns from two weeks in a car in the southwest...and is back posting again...greetings...

Out of curiocity...how many here who are supporting the novelization actualy like comics? While i won't say this as applying to you all...i find that every time this issue has come up before most of the supporters are commonly a little biggoted in that they have a bias against comics...while i see the points people have made for this novelization is it really worth it?......while it is a major event in continuity...is it really that good of a story(cloned emperor and superweapons sum it up pretty well), and would it really be that interesting as a novel to dedicate the effort to the conversion?...wouldn't it be far more interesting to do something like this to the Tales of the Jedi line?...or novels in that era instead of reissuing a mediocre story?

24. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
  25. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    It might be my bigotry and limited experience with SW comics coming through, but i feel that the FULL story that this series had the potential to be, and these huge changes taking place, did not translate well into the comic medium.

I never had this problem with Tintin ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.