main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Petition for DHC to present the Marvel reprints IN COLOR

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Gatherer,

you spelled "spelled" wrong...

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I was going to post about that too, but I just assumed hed did it on purpose. Gatherer, you did it on purpose, right?!?

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh well. I'll still buy them.

TC

4. Qui-Gon-Dave

Qui-Gon-Dave Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2001
    COLOUR! COLOUR! COLOUR! COLOUR!

5. PuppetMaster42

PuppetMaster42 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2000
    A lot of this depends on what is avaible for them to reprint. If they have the film that was shot from the original art work, then black and white would be the way to go. Recreating color separation is an outhouse you do not want to open. It is VERY cost prohibitive. I cheer for the fact that this project IS moving forward. If you want to read the series to see how it affects things currently, then this is the thing to buy. Buy it. Support Dark Horse. They are going out on a limb here.
    PM

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    PuppettMaster42 speaks much wisdom. If it is most likely not "cost effective," the main reason is that they'd have to go and color...ummm...colour...ummm... seperate the originals and then feed them into their current system.

The publishing/reproduction methods used today are very much incompatible with the methods used in the 70's and 80's.

However, I have to throw in my $0.02. Any way we can get a "Schindler's List" effect of having you give Shira Brie RED hair, instead of being B&W where ever she appears. :D I think that would be an extremely important detail that may be lost on post-1986 SW fans.

7. Melisande

Melisande Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2001
    Color... Colour... they're both correct. Colour is the British spelling.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Yes, I would like to see these all in color also, but we have to be realistic here. Re-coloring old comics that used the '70's/'80's methods of coloring is expensive and time-consuming. I don't see Dark Horse doing this - they've been reticent about reprinting any of the Marvel books anyway, and since it will cost mucho dinero to re-color the books, it probably won't be worth it to them, no matter how many people end up buying these reprints.
    Now, if they were to reprint these old SW Marvel issues using the original color that was in the comics, that would not be that expensive, but I would rather the reprints be in B&W than in the older color, which was horrendous-looking.

And, I doubt that these stories will be reprinted in color later. DH does not seem to really like these old Marvel stories (possibly because they think the Marvel stories will compete with their current ones?) - whatever the reason, be glad that you're getting these stories reprinted at all....

Side-note: If you look at the Marvel TPB that reprint older Marvel stories, very few of them have been re-colored, except for the Marvel Masterworks hardocovers (which are roughly $40-$50 a pop).....There is a reason for this....

9. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    I have about 30 of the originals from when i was a kid, i never touch them though because i'm afraid they'll get ruined or something. Are they worth anything?

Actually, B&W is kind of cool, most Manga is black and white.

but i remember the stories were pretty lame, though.

10. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    Re-read the storys. They werent bad at all. Today I just read re-prints of The Tarkin Storylin, Riders in the Void and The Crimson Forever. Those storys are easily some of the best Star Wars storys I've ever read. And they are Marvel.

The Classic Star Wars: A Long Time Ago series was reprinted in black and white and beleive it or not it looked really good. If anything the no frills B&W will help you focus on the pure storytelling experience that those books hold.

Strong storys and good artwork are what you'll find in the Marvel line. Yes they published their share of clunkers but hey so does Dark Horse anyone remember Shadows of the Empire: Evolution? YEEEEEECH!

11. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    Black and white definitely has its own charm. I'll buy them.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I did not know all of this about the difficulties of reproducing in color and some of the other technical stuff.

::Mastadge unsigns and shreds his own petition::

I'd prefer color, but I'll take what I can get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.