main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Poll - Moderator Conduct

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    Preacherboy has not done anything to me but that doesn't mean it is OK. If you see a wrong doing do you ignore it or do you intercede? If you were the vicim would you want help or people to point and laugh?

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Preacherboy has not done anything to me but that doesn't mean it is OK.

Yep....I actually said that his actions weren't becoming fo a mod :)

If you see a wrong doing do you ignore it or do you intercede?

I mentioned a possible course of action: a final warning. If he's willing to change, then everyone will be happy. If he's not, then de-mod him.....either way, the situation solves itself.

If you were the vicim would you want help or people to point and laugh?

See the last point ;)

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    OAC...
    "Genghis12 you are ignoring all the links and examples people have posted in threads, (not necessarily this one) that has shown examples of Preacherboy's behaviour."

Not at all. I don't have any problems with anyone's substantial claims against anyone. What I have a problem with is the following line of reasoning...
    Wether he's a rule-breaker or not hardly matters anymore, he's had enough complaints that enough is enough.

[face_plain] This belief holds that isn't about whether he actually broke any rules (remember "it hardly matters whether he's a rule-breaker" [face_plain] ), but that the perception that he does (based on the number of threads started) should be enough. That belief is just plain wrong. Really. Whether it's held against PB or anyone else.

If any action is taken against anyone, it should be based on something substantial, not merely the perception of something substantial. [face_plain]

4. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    No more Internet drama! Seriously. While your intentions might have been good, Nathan, the execution of that intent is flawed. This thread was destined to be, and has become, a cesspool of grudge matches and the same old merde we always see in such discussions.

My suggestion? Let PreacherBoy be.

Yes, you read that right. Let him be.

He can be caustic and tactless. He can be hasty to ban and hastier to condescend. He definitely raises the ire of many of us.

That's his personality. It's not going to change.

You know what? He's always been that way. Those characteristics have been hallmarks of his moderating. While he's definitely made mistakes, sometimes critical mistakes, they've been mistakes in judgement and tact, and not mistakes that were detrimental (technically or otherwise) to these boards. He does his job (his volunteer job) in the face of hyper-criticism from multiple fronts.

Let's cut him some slack. Let's leave him alone, quit firing at the guy, and let him moderate. I think that a lot of PreacherBoy's attitude comes from the fact that he's constantly under fire. Have you ever heard of "siege mentality"? It's what cops feel, like the entire world is against them.

Let's stop the siege of PreacherBoy, and let him do his job, his volunteer job.

I've been a major source of the Internet drama here. At this point in time, I promise to lay off. I encourage all of you to do the same.

PreacherBoy should be neither chastised nor demoted. He should, for possibly the first time, be left alone to moderate.

SDA

5. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I totally agree Ghengis.

I don't see how anyone could not agree with such a principle.

In this case there IS evidence though.

edit:

''You know what? He's always been that way. Those characteristics have been hallmarks of his moderating. While he's definitely made mistakes, sometimes critical mistakes, they've been mistakes in judgement and tact, and not mistakes that were detrimental (technically or otherwise) to these boards. He does his job (his volunteer job) in the face of hyper-criticism from multiple fronts.''

Oh , come on!!!

Of course he has been detrimental to these boards. He has been a big part in the boards losing several of it's best members and moderators.
    You know that, I know that, he knows it.

6. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Thanks SDA, that means a lot. I take back every true [ ;) ], but cruel thing I've said about you and your agenda here on the JC.

7. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Can't you just feel the love in this thread between Pboy and SDA? ;)

8. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    WHAT THE HELL?

dear god... where are the 4 horsemen now.. I am sure that is a sign of the apocolypse :p

SDA and PB agreeing= WTF????? ;)

9. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I'm about to make a mock of Chris Knight's proposal picture, to use for SDA. He's so dreamy!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    "love is in the air..."

:p

11. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Don't get all mushy on me!

SDA

12. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I would just like to add to what Humble has said.

Having an open forum on this matter is a step forward, IMO. A bold move as it can cause problems with petty arguments being brought back from the past and people taking sides. However, this is no reason not to give those of us who care about this place a chance to air our opinions without the threat of being spanked and/or banned or the thread being locked straight away. At the end of the day the big decisions come down to the Admin team but it always useful to guage the feelings of the rest of us.

Can I just add that many people who have posted negative yet constructive thoughts about PreacherBoy are not taking out feelings from real life. Believe it or not some of us are slightly more mature than that.

ALL members should be subject to the same rules. This is commonsense. You break the rules, you pay the price.

13. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    Well, my first impressions of PB is that of being harsh and a little rough around the edges in dealing with people. But, as of late, I haven't noticed it very much. So:

1. Yes, I think in the past he might have been rude and unthoughtful of users. But I have not seen this nearly as much recently.

2. No, he shouldn't be demoted. He actually hasn't done anything wrong. Rude, unthoughtful, maybe. But wrong? No. And from what I can tell, he is improving.

Keep PB. He gets the job done.

bterrik

14. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Well, PreacherBoy HAS to change, to be less harsh towards members, including myself.

And, I totally welcome that change, and he doesn't have to be demoted.

He is a MOD, and he is supposed to lead by example. If he criticized ME on Grammar and many other things, then other non-mods can felt that it is ALRIGHT TO DO (WHICH IS NOT!!!)

I also feel that he can be pre-judgemental... like the TFU situation, why do I get the impression that TFU (FROM IM) is really A GOOD GUY?!?

I might be wrong, but TFU and myself had chatted with each other for a while now, and never a second, I felt he is a bad troll.

I also feel PB prejudges a lot of people, including Myself. Certainly most people here said 'Yes' to either 1 or 2 felt the same way.

People DESERVE second chances!!! Preacherboy (if he is willing to be BETTER) DOES; and TFU does, too!!!

Ummmmm... I had NO HARD FEELINGS towards PB before, but I remember he said "I wish you gone FOREVER, JM22" when I joked how the Mods are fancinated with this guy, David.

I still am not sure if he meant it or what...
    that to me felt like a THREAT!

This a just damn FORUM, we are not here to
    get paid... we are here to have FUN.

Why would anyone WANT ME to leave forever?

Why would TFU be banned eternally, for what (little) he did?

15. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >1. Yes, I think in the past he might have been rude and unthoughtful of users. But I have not seen this nearly as much recently.<

Don't forget to read pizza's posts.

>Rude, unthoughtful, maybe.<

Rude, and Unthoughtful is just isn't the quality of a good mod. If you, bterrik, is RUDE, there is no way on hell I want you to be my manager. (just saying)

16. DarthDarkDart

DarthDarkDart Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2000
    ...Let him do his job, his volunteer job.

True, he is a volunteer, but isn't it also true that there are many other users of this board who would just as happily do PBoy's volunteer job while also displaying courtesy to the members?

17. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    Is PreacherBoy's behavior unacceptable for a moderator of his position?

Yes.

"If so, does this behavior warrant a demotion from his current position?"

Possibly.

I haven't had any interaction with him but from what I've observed I think he needs to reform.

18. Skyler

Skyler Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2000
    Preacherboy's actions have been fine. I've been here a long time, and i've never had a problem with him.

"But cheers to NathanDahlin for openning this topic to the public. Hopefully there'll be more of it"

That is complete bull crap. This is not the way to handle the situation at all. This is unneeded drama. How would you like it if another member start a thread about you asking weather your conduct was acceptable or not and if you should be banned or not? This shows total lack of leadership skill's on Nathan's part. He must be pretty incompetent if he can't decide on his own, and needs to ask for public sentiment. This thread just plain sucks, and I hope there are no more like this. I'm saying this not because I disagree with peoples' opinions in here, but I don't see the point in embarrassing anyone for any reason. I wouldn't want a thread started like this towards any member. This is going to create for horrible precident. When talking about people's conduct, and this is in general and not just on the internet, the honorable and kind thing to do is to keep the situation as discrete as possilbe so not to hurt his or her credibility. We should be conscientious of people's reputations and character regardless if we have issues with them or not. But it seems those concepts are beyond the administration here at the JC. I hope Scott or Josh closes this down.

19. XackAttack

XackAttack Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    1) Yes.

2) No. (give `em another month to stop, and if he doesn't: off w/ the head)

20. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I just think Nathan answered his own question in the first paragraph of his initial post when he said

"I've received so many complaints about the behavior of PreacherBoy..."

To me, that would suggest that the most appopriate course of action would be to PM PreacherBoy and put him on notice. If things hadn't improved and complaints were still being made, and found to be legitimate, then a decision would have to be made as to whether a demotion was in order.

While I agree with Humble that it's good that things are being thrown out for discussion by the Admins, I believe this particular issue would be better dealt with in a more discrete manner, only because I think it's an issue between Nathan and PreacherBoy.

The members have already brought PreacherBoy's shortcomings to the attention of the Admins and that is all that is required. If you haven't complained then I think it should be assumed that you don't have a problem.

How Nathan deals with the problem once it is brought to his attention is one of his jobs as head Admin and I think it should be resolved solely between Nathan and PreacherBoy on that basis.

21. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >I thought it must be a joke, because I can't believe that an admin would show such a complete lack of tact for starting a thread asking for an opinion pole on another member's conduct....
    This thread = poor taste <

First of all, this argument is NOT biased, and I am not saying it against PB or anything, it's just a fair argument.

So, second of all, I understand where I need to argue. PB is a MOD, NOT just a regular member like you or me.

If President Clinton was a regular citizen, who cares if he is a womanizer? Just because his position is so high... Opinion counts.

Thirdly, Well, Nathan SAID he has received SO MANY complaints about Preacherboy... that's why he decided to start this thread. He ask us to criticize PB constructively, without flames, and that's what we did.
    Thus, I don't see it as poor taste at all.

Let me ASK YOU: Do you believe opinion polls on President is a waste of time, a poor taste, eh?

>How would you like it if another member start a thread about you asking weather your conduct was acceptable or not and if you should be banned or not?<

Maybe so, but the main thing is what have I done to deserve such thread? Are there like 10 people complaining about me?

Who? Who is complaining about me? I would like to see who & why, so I CAN Change for the bettter, maybe!

Also, A good Reason = Important!!!

Say if one person says "JM22, I don't like you, just because." that wouldn't be a good reason to get rid of me, would it?

22. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Hey, I complained and tried to help you [I had my "Member Hat" on at the time]. You didn't understand that you had a problem.

Let me just say, that there is a problem. It took me 5 minutes to figure out what you were saying in your post [face_plain]

23. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    how many mistakes does PBoy have to make before something is done?

Regular members would have been reprimanded for a fraction of the mistakes he's made. The mods, should vote on this in the ModSquad, and lock this thread. Its turned into a pointless run-around, with PBoy running from accusations.

Enough with it already, get in over with.

24. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Rushing: The blinding headlight of objectivity.

25. knowledge

knowledge Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    aww who gives a ****...I don't care anymore. PB can be irritating but damn this whole bs is just getting dull. I know I've whined a bit, but that was mainly for hypocrisy. Everyone seems to be attacking PB's character---why? Does anyone know him personally? Not many. In order for this whole stupid and pointless ranting to end all we need is PB's word that he will:

1.) Abide by the rules that were set forth for every member in the JC.

2.) Treat others with respect.

But then again, this doesn't just apply to PB. It applies to PizzatheHut who doesn't show PB respect, I, or any other other member. I think this sums it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.