main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Poor Oola?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by hezekiaah, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hezekiaah

hezekiaah Jedi Master

Mar 25, 2011
    It seems that the Oola character gets a lot of sympathy, and it is sad that she was killed off ... but at the same time, it seemed like she could have prevented her own demise easily. Leia never got Jabba mad and they were both slaves.

All I'm saying is that screaming at the most powerful crime lord in the galaxy while chained by the neck, and standing over a trapdoor that I think she knew was there ... how do you forget about that? Was she desperate, or just dull?

Leia looked much better half-naked anyhow :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh, she was desperate, all right. Take a look at Jabba licking his lips while he tries to yank her towards him. Given the bizarre alien physiology of a Hutt, I'm not exactly sure what he had in mind, but it's obvious it wouldn't have been pleasant (for her, at least).

I don't think you can condemn a slave chained to a depraved crime boss for panicking when her duties suddenly call for more than dancing.

The whole 'slave girl' concept in the SW universe treads a very fine line, anyway. Ultimately, it's been pretty well established that Leia was dressed up as a slave and chained to Jabba as a sort of trophy, rather than subjected to some sort of hideous sexual assault after she was dragged away, but the dynamic with Oola is somewhat different.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I was kinda surprised at Oola's behavior, seeing how what she was involved in was like the Twi'leks' biggest inudstry or whatever.

4. hezekiaah

hezekiaah Jedi Master

Mar 25, 2011
    Good point - she was kind of part of the whole slave-girl industry. I mean, yeah it would suck to have to, err - be intimate with a Hutt or whatever, but you do what you have to to survive. Since she definitely wasn't a "prize" slave girl by any means, she probably should have realized that saying "no" to Jabba was a sure-fire way to get killed. I just think she somehow overlooked that fact, because she definitely didn't seem like she was expecting to get dropped. Maybe she was delusional and thought she was a "trophy girl" like Leia.

5. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Hutts have to be able to do something with humans. Jool had a thing for Cade.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Hutts are hermaphrodites, but some of them find humanoids to be attractive and keep them as symbols of status and power.

7. obijuantamale

obijuantamale Jedi Master

Jan 23, 2001
    Maybe she was just fed up?

8. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    "Oola's Tale" in Tales from Jabba's Palace states that Oola had heard there was a good chance Luke would be coming very soon, and she hoped that he would rescue her. She was so elated at this prospect, she got a bit careless.

9. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    sure she was, don't ruin it

10. hezekiaah

hezekiaah Jedi Master

Mar 25, 2011
    I don't know that I buy the whole "Luke met Oola" thing ... I just go by the original film mostly. And I agree, she got careless. REALLY careless. I mean, if you don't want a Hutt drooling over you, maybe don't dance around like you want him to drool :p

I also don't really get how Jabba "licking his lips" meant something super sexual and warranted her panicking and disrespecting Jabba. I mean, Leia got a full on TONGUE licking to her face, and she still sat next to Jabba just fine. If he'd wanted her so bad, he could have just pulled her in ... there's NO way that she could be that strong as to out-tug Jabba, I think that he just wanted her to actually obey, while she just wanted him to let her go.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Wow, the excuses for sexual assault and juvenile misogyny on display here are quite amazing. Locking. Threads of this nature are a violation of the family friendly rule, although I don't see why I need to be reminding people of something this basic in the rules of civilized society.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.