main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pre-Dragoncon round table

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by DawnOfTheReplicants, Mar 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DawnOfTheReplicants

DawnOfTheReplicants Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    In the coming months, I think those of us in the Atlanta area should get together and collect and discuss our thoughts about this years Dragoncon over several dozen beers. I mean, It's in our bloody city, so we should have some sort of plan. None of this role playing game get together rubbish. We need to sit and have a serious discussion and get our act together, we only have five months left!
    So, any ideas?

2. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    More power to you if you can get this group motivated! I'd LOVE to have a get-together.

What do you propose?

3. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    Yeah, and talk about how sometimes the SW Room and Dragon Con is kind of lame. Man that trivia contest last year pissed me off, hell, they need to put me in charge so I can make a real trivia contest

4. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I might see if I can get a few from Nashville to drive over.

For anyone looking for info, check out http://www.dragoncon.org for guest lists, hotel rates, etc.

5. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Is everyone here part of the staff for Matters of the Force? I would be interested in helping out and planning activities if need be. Let me know what I can do. I would be up to coming to a planning meeting. I have been in fandom (trek and general science fiction) for nearly 14 years and have experience working with different clubs and what not. Star Wars was always my first love with the genre and I have never really done much in the way of participating in that part of fandom.

6. liltinghouse

liltinghouse Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2001
    Hey there. My name is Carol and I'll be moving to the Atlanta area in August. Right now I'm VP of a SW fan club in Richmond, VA (Check us out at http://www.moisturefarmcoop.com).

Anyway, I'm definately going to Dragon Con and may even be leading a panel on founding and running a SW fan club (though nothing is set in stone yet.) (By the by, visit the Matter of the Force website at http://motf.newsdroid.com).

I would definately like to meet some of the Atlanta area fans. It is true that the MotF room can be a bit cliquish. I say the Atlanta fans set a place and time to meet on the Friday of D*C, August 31, and just hang out.

My suggestion is to meet before everyone has to pick up their badges. We could meet in the con hotel, the Marriott downtown, at like 7:00 PM around the check in area, near the concierge. Then we could have drinks at the bar or grab a bite (depending on the age level of the people that show up).

I know some of you may want to get together this summer and if you can organize it that'd be GREAT. If you can't because of summer vacation schedules, this is one way to get started.

I can't wait to move to Atlanta. And I hope to meet some of you.

7. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I think meeting up before the con is a good idea. I sent an email off to the MoTF info last week and I haven't heard anything back. Guess they don't need anymore staff help :confused:?? Look forward to getting to meet fellow fans.

8. liltinghouse

liltinghouse Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2001
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, Darkrider. The MotF people are REALLY busy right now. I would give them a little more time. Did you email Jan or Cathy? At the moment, Jan is your better bet. Cathy has some family obligations that she has to focus on right now.

I got my registration postcard in the mail yesterday. It looks like people can pick up their badges Thursday, August 30 starting at 8:00 PM at the Hyatt. I say we all try to meet that Thursday at 7:00 in the Hyatt lobby.

9. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Let me know what you decide. I'm planning to attend DragonCon, as well.

10. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I sent the email to Cathy I believe. However, looking at the address I sent it to, I believe I left out a letter in her address. In any event, I have recent it today (my bad for not double checking)[face_blush]. I still think getting a group together pre-DragonCon is a good idea and I think getting a club together for the Metro Atlanta area is even better. The 501st Stormtrooper group is good if you have a costume. Otherwise, you just have to meet people at the toy and book stores.

11. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    So...could it be possible to actually get a group together in this town? I tried earlier in the year, but had no luck.

Who's up for a little Star Wars talk?

12. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I am definitely up for it. Does anyone have any suggestions on location and time? I would like to suggest Dave & Buster's on either 85 or 75. How about June 2nd at 6PM? That way people can have a bite to eat while we chat. Any thoughts on this? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

13. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Dang...that would be the one weekend I'm not around.

But, hey, if there are others up for it, I say do it!

There's also Vulkon the weekend before. Granted, it's a mostly Star Trek event, but might be another idea for a neutral get-together.

14. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Actually, I was going to suggest the Vulkon, I just wasn't sure how many Star Wars fans were going to be at a Trek event. I think that would be great to do it then. Perhaps we could have a meeting at the lounge or something or drinks? I'm up for it.

15. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, I'm always up for a sci-fi convention. They're just something different to do.

I've never been to Vulkon before. Can someone suggest a good place to meet and a time?

16. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I would say we meet on the saturday of the con. The hotel has a lounge/bar. We could meet in their at say 12 noon.

17. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    The pertinent info for the hotel:

Atlanta Marriott Century Hotel (aka Marriott Atlanta, NE or Marriott Century Plaza), address 2000 Century Boulevard, Atlanta.

It's essentially off Clairmont Road and I-85.

So...May 26th, noon, in the hotel lounge?

Now, can we get more than two people there?

18. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Well, I planned on bring my wife. She is a big Star Wars fan (not as fanatical about it as I am). I was going to see if another friend of ours would like to come as well. She is a HUGE SW fan, but doesn't post on the net. She does alot of costuming. That would be 4 so far. Now, how about the people out there who have been on these boards? You guys have been trying for awhile to get this going. Let's do it!

19. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    See if you can get her to log in and post once. You can count her towards the total if you're wanting to make it an "official" event.

Don't forget to send the finalized date/time/location and any other info to fanforce@theforce.net -- we'll post it on the main page.

20. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I will try to get both of them to sign on and start posting. I'm getting a little psyched about this now.

21. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    We'll get a notice up on the city events site to announce the first get-together. Please invite your Star Wars friends along so we can figure out regular meeting dates that work out for most people.

After that, we can have a "real" meeting and see what we can do to get Star Wars crazy around here!

22. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    That sounds like a good plan to me. It's my hope that my wife and friend will both want to be involved with this. I know they both are going to DragonCon and both plan to attend the Indy Celebration next year.

23. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    I e-mailed the following out to those of you who have public e-mails in your profile. Friends are welcome.

Greetings!

You are receiving this e-mail because you posted on the Atlanta Fan Force boards. We won't bother you again (unless you want us to).

We will be having our first meeting on Saturday, May 25th at the Vulkon Convention at noon. The Vulkon Convention is taking place at the Atlanta Marriott Century Plaza (2000 Century Plaza Blvd, Atlanta) off of Clairmont and I-85.

Please meet in the Park Place Lounge in the middle of the hotel. We'll have a sign, but if there's a hostess, we'll use the name Skywalker to reserve our table.

If you think you'll be able to come, or if you'd be interested in hearing about other meetings, please let me know via e-mail or post to the boards.
    Thanks!
    Paula

24. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    People who can't read a calendar, on the next Ricki Lake.

That should be Saturday, May 26th.
    Sorry!

25. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Hi,

It's Cathy Bowden from MotF at Dragon*Con.
    I wanted to let everyone know about the schedule for this year's Dragon*Con. The 1st draft schedule will be up at http://dm.net/~sf-motf on Friday, June 8th. I'm sure the schedule will go through at least one revision before it is finalized. We've actually had the schedule since Feb, just waiting on confirmation of room assignments.

MotF invites all members of any Star Wars Fan Group to select a representative to be a participate on the panels listed below. Since we can only seat 7 panelists. It will be a 1st come, 1st sit. And, of course, if we need to repeat a panel - that isn't a problem. I have left Monday afternoon open just just cases.

Starting a Club in your Community
    Web Fandom
    Prequel Speculation, EP I

We have also been advising the Fan Film Festival and Contest for almost 6 months now. There is still time to get your entries in. There are some great prizes for the winners. Submission sheets can be found at the MotF home page.

Also, each night from 10pm-12pm, the MotF Room is open for The Cantina. This is where you can come and mingle, play games, trade cards, etc. There will be four sections to the Cantina. The Theatre, The Game Table (not RGP), Watto's Trading Post, Fan Club Tables*. If you would a Fan Club Table, please let me so I can one set up for your club.

We are looking forward to seeing you at Dragon*Con and engaging in some really great discussion panels and private discussions.

My email address is sf-motf@dm.net.

Best,

Cathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.