main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Pre-Prequel Trilogy Clone Wars explanation?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by R2-918, Feb 1, 2013.

1. R2-918

R2-918 Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Several pre-PT sources cite the Jedi defeating the "mysterious" Mandalorian warriors during the Clone Wars, including the ESB novelization and The Galactic Empire Scrapbook. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy made reference to insane clones created via Spaarti cloning technology attacking the Old Republic. Issue #24 of the Marvel comics is a flashback story about Obi-Wan that takes place during the Clone Wars. Garris Shrike's ship in the Han Solo trilogy is said to be a relic of the Clone Wars, although I can't recall that kind of ship ever appearing in later Clone Wars media.

Mostly all we knew was Mandalorians and evil clones, though.

Cronal and Gorefiend like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Which retcon neatly into Death Watch and Bok clones, I suppose.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Initially the idea the floated around was that it was a serious of wars (they are Clone Wars after all) fought by the Republic against Clone Masters and their insane clone forces, during which the Empire would be formed and Palpatine come to power (yes initially we had other Emperors before Palpatine ;)) who would then wipe out the Jedi.

Actually Mandalorian Protectors (another splitter group) led by an insane Elite Clones who thought he was the Mandalore and true heir to Jango and thus joined with the Seps. Palpatine led them into a trap and had them butchered by Jedi, Clone Troopers and the Ailon Nova Guard.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_to_Norval_II

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  5. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah it should be pointed out that the context of that image the OP posted has been retconned to be an insane clone trooper named Spar (who all the Mandalorians thought was Jango's son) being hired by Palpatine to kidnap Padmé.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Previous wars would be interesting to see.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Even before AOTC came out, Leland Chee established that the22-19 BBY Clone Wars were the only Clone War. This was when the Stark Hyperspace War comic was announced, and some people were theorizing that it was going to be the first of the (multiple) Clone Wars.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The SHW comic was pretty good I thought. I don't know the timeline of when all the behind the scenes stuff was announced so thank you for that. Though going into Episode 1 with something like this would be interesting. 20 years years the First Clone War ended. A Warlord Maul or Grievous attacked the Republic at the behest of the Cloners. The war ended as a stalemate and a Cold War has settled upon the Galaxy. Soon war will erupt on a world that will drag the whole Galaxy into the 2nd Clone War. A 3rd one will pop up but be smaller and after the Empire came to power but failed.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I always assumed they came to be called the Clone Wars simply because of the unprecedented scale and scope of the conflict. There were so many different theaters on so many different planets with different regional sub-conflicts and historical fault lines between local factions that it really did make more sense to think of the conflict as a whole collection of wars taking place concurrently.

Note that at the very start of the war in AotC Yoda simply refers to the coming conflict as the singular Clone War, perhaps not fully anticipating how out-of-control things would become.

Zorrixor and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, that's pretty much all I've come to treat it as too. You've got your main Republic vs Seppies conflict, but then all the other wars breaking out at the same time, all of which simply end up involving clones too -- look at half the TCW episodes, they don't exactly have the fate of the galaxy in the balance, but are regional spats between Black Sun or Mandalore or Hutt clans or whatever.

That aside, wasn't there once some attempt to explain it as referring to the Post-ROTS conflicts in one of the Battlefront games when some Kaminoan cloners went rogue and clones started fighting against the Empire or something?

11. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I do remember reading something about Palpatine being a president before he became emperor.
    I think I read in a book published by Bill Slavicsek, but I am not sure...

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The A New Hope novel phrases it as "President" Palpatine.

General Immodet likes this.
  13. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I think at least some sources implied that the Republic was in shambles after the Clone Wars and that's when Palpatine stepped in and tricked everyone into electing him.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I love how Peña retconned that picture of Palpatine showing Shysa a picture of Leia into Sidious showing him a picture of Padmé.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Was that even supposed to be a picture of Palpatine, in the original comic?

16. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    the atlas and especially warfare guide also with maps show wars post-ROTS that could easily turn into the Second or Third Clone War if taken together. And I always favored to split the actual Clone Wars into two with peacetalks and cease fire in the middle before it all goes to hell again soon thereafter with talks failing of course.. we got a Seppie senate, lets use it goddammit!

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, there was very little to actually go on in regards to the Clone Wars. However, WEG did make the occasional reference (without providing any details), and there were EU references all the way back to Han Solo's Revenge, which mentioned the restrictions into genetic research due to the wars.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Thinking back on other early mentions of the Clone Wars, I believe the backstory in the original X-Wing computer game manual included a brief overview of the Clone Wars, where they ended decades prior to the creation of the Empire and where Palpatine became president only after their end.

From Battlefront II, where Fett helps the Empire put down the anti-Imperial clone uprising. However, as far as I remember the concept of that being "one of the Clone Wars" is entirely a fan concept, unless I missed some sourcebook stating otherwise.

I think the WEG Han Solo sourcebook even includes a mention of the "Outer Rim Wars" from before the creation of the Empire, which seems like an easily-retconnable first reference to the Outer Rim Sieges.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep, the old Corporate Sector SB - listing Trooper Badure's postings. (I believe a Twi'lek Spice War was also mentioned).

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Palpatine is President of the Senate as well as Chancellor of the Republic. I think "President of the Republic" is technically one of his several alternate titles anyway, though.

As far as the game goes, I'm pretty sure it was just a way to have a badass clone vs. clone scenario fit into a canon storyline.

It wouldn't make much sense to call that another Clone War, it was pretty clearly one relatively brief battle on one planet.

21. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    one can always combine the Jedi Purge, the separatist and loyalist insurgencies and holdouts after ROTS as well as other cleanup operations for 3 years into the second clone war as warfare guide hints at all but in name!

though I'd still prefer a cut in middle of the clone wars we know and have them be split into two major clone wars.

then again we got mini events like the Kaminoans going rogue with antiimperial clones much later or the droid armies being reactivated on some planets only.. that are not connected yet. but one might if creative enough ;)

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    It could be a reference to the events surrounding Quinlan Vos' memory wipe.

23. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    As an aside, I was just skimming through the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook and found this:

[quote="Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook]Afyon was a young man during the Clone Wars, answering the call to arms along with most of the ablebodied men and women of his homeworld of Alderaan.
    He followed the charismatic Bail Organa of Alderaan's beloved Royal Family to war and back, never turning away from the ideals or principals he believed in. When the wars finally ended, he came home and supported Organa's bid to turn Alderaan's war economy into a movement for peace. For many years, that movement succeeded.[/quote]

Erm... have we seen any of this? I can't recall... though I've not read all of the post-AotC Clone Wars literature yet. Anyone?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alderaan's disarmament? Not that I recall -- it was a big thing in the X-wing books too, but I haven't seen it talked up in post-AOTC materials. Then again, I'm very far from a Clone Wars guru since I haven't read 90% of the recent stuff about it Recent being defined as things released in the last ten years, of course. :p

Re: President Palpatine -- yeah, as Brule notes, the Farlander Papers made a deal about them. Really, President was the default title used in EU until TPM. That's why Mothma was referred to as President sometimes (and only Chief of State during the post-ROTJ EU, not OT EU) and Leia on occasion too. But yeah, it was always ever President of the Senate iirc.

As for CW references -- a lot of warship designs were described as aging, Clone Wars era things. Dreadnaughts and VSD-Is come to mind.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Alderaan is one of those weird things that suddenly changed post-Clone Wars - now Alderaan has always been a pacifist world; in fact, in the General Grievous LS, Alderaan doesn't even have a defensive force.

Fortunately, the recent EGTW has made it clear that's nonsense, considering that Alderaan was the HQ for the Republic's 4th Army during the war.