main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Prequel Trilogy vs Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by kenobifan1999, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Prequel Trilogy vs Original Trilogy

1. Prequel Trilogy

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Original Trilogy

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    You know we can't have a Star Wars forum without this topic...

So which do you prefer, and why? and you have to choose ONLY one...

for me, i'd always go with the prequels for many reasons....

-More & Batter Characters (Qui Gon, a better Obi Wan, Maul, Mace Windu, Ki Adi Mundi, All the other jedi, General Grevious, Jango Fett...wayyy better than boba fett lol, count dooku, nute gun ray etc.)

-Better Acting, in my opinion... The acting of sidious, obiwan, qui gon, anakin in episode 3, count dooku, jango fett, and mace windu are bar none

-Better Action... more action, seeing the jedi fight and seeing young energetic fighters as opposed to very only and slow people and boys without training. we see tons of great action and its awesome

-Better Plot.... wayyy better plot, more interesting and more complex. while the plot of episode 5? yeah...#runningfromtheempire #hyperdrivebroken. come on sidious' whole plot, anakins turn to the dark side, and everything in between was soo much better

2. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    not to mention the whole conclusion of ROTJ with the ewoks defeating the empire ruined that movie for me, while the general boring-ness of episode 5 hurt as well. ANH was AMAZING one of the best star wars for sure. but the other two movies in the saga hurt the trilogy as a whole.

I still love all SW movies if i had to rate them here's what i'd give them

TPM - 100
    AOTC - 95
    ROTS - 99
    ANH - 97
    ESB - 90
    ROTJ - 93

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    There is no "PT" and "OT". Only one SAGA.

I (as well as many other fans) cant stand when people use these phrases. And I really cant stand when people try to pit SW against itself like this.

These films are elaborate costume dramas. The SAME EXACT mixture of techniques were used to make all the installments and anyone who takes the time to simply look through the format of the new blu-ray bonus features should be able to understand that.

http://imgur.com/a/jw1bv

Its all Star Wars.

4. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    theyre different movies, and lets be frank we all have preferences weather we realize contiously or not we all do. so to say its all the same when its really not is just unrealistic.

we should just accept that and move on, if you think you dont have a preference then dont say. but let us who want to discuss, discuss...

yes its all star wars and yes we probably all love each film except some people dont love the prequels, but for a most part us star wars fans love all films but i dont think its a crime to say we like movie slightly better than the other, or that we like one trilogy over the other..

5. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    ^^^^^This.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "you have to choose ONLY one"... I abstain from voting in this. :p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    "You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose NOT TO DECIDE - you've still made a choice!
    You can choose from from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will chose the path that's clear - I will chose free will!"

- Rush, "Free Will", 1980

;)

regards,
    Steve "Colonel Basher" :rolleyes: Tosche_Station

8. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    George Lucas (the man who created them) says they are designed as one big movie split up into episodes. One story. Personal preferences are fine, preferences are one thing but this thread is something else. I disagree with this idea of taking what the creator says over and over again is one whole and splitting it into halves for no other reason than to have them compete against each other. That is a wast of time IMO. 50 years from now when they are studying SW in college courses they are not going to call the first and last three episodes by special labels and (with all due respect) I see it as fundamentally counter productive to have a thread like this at this point, in this day and age. We need to stop encouraging, glamorizing and rewarding this mentality of "PT vs. OT".

Zeta1127 and Valairy_Scot like this.
  9. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    Despite what Lucas says, they weren't MADE as 'one big movie split up into episodes'. They were made as separate movies (and series). And three of them - from the OT - were actually marketed as separate films back in the day: "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back", "Return of the Jedi". The last two mentioned, while certainly marketed as 'Star Wars films', were NOT marketed as "Episode V" or "Episode VI"....to say nothing of "Star Wars" not originally* marketed as "Episode IV" or "A New Hope". So regardless of how Lucas the creator views things, we still have to contend with the reality of history - the context in which the films were made and how they were made.

*this was true even after the title addition (circa Spring '81 re-release). It wasn't marketed as "Episode 4" until the 1997 SE.

Drewton likes this.
  10. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    youre being completely unlealistic. whats next you cant like one scene in star wars over another scene? just because its the same movie? its not a crime to admit you like one half of star wars more than the other. Why join a star wars forum if we cant debate about it?

One trilogy is certainly not BETTER than the other for a fact.... but its fun to debate about which trilogy we personally like better.

Weather they are made to be one movie or not it makes no difference. they have different settings, some different characters, different plots, different times, etc. its only natural to prefer one over the other

Drewton likes this.
  11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't think its fun. The longer this debate continues, the more I see how irrelevant it seems to me.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the saga as a whole but I like the OT more.
    Good vs. Evil.
    More mystical
    I like Han Solo as a character. The PT wasn't as good without a Han Solo type character.
    Leia was a more likable female protagonist than Padme.
    The lightsaber duels were so much more emotional. Obi-Wan vs. Vader, Luke vs. Vader and Luke vs. Vader and the Emperor.
    Imperial March beats most of the PT songs.
    No true main villain that stands out like in the PT like Vader in the OT.
    More Quotable lines

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What's up, Jango Fett/General Grevous?

Emperor Ferus and kenobifan1999 like this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Haven't we been around this block before?

No matter how many polls or debates we have on this subject, it's not going to change the fact that people have their set opinions and trying to sway them to side with one trilogy or the other or that it's one big Saga or not is fruitless.

15. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    nice the poll is dead even. thats cool

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    eht13 , my apologies, that quote was not meant to be attributed to you when you were quoting someone else.

17. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Sorry, but it's just a fact that they're two trilogies (within one saga). Just as each episode is a separate film within the saga. Lucas himself refers to them has referred to the prequels as the prequel trilogy.

Humble_Jedi likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's OK... I thought you knew where I stand on this silly issue. :p The strange thing is that the poster who DID say it "liked" your post...

kenobifan1999 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No disputing that, however, I would dispute the idea that one must have a preference for one trilogy or another.

Zeta1127 and Valairy_Scot like this.
  20. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    It's not a matter of having a preference...because if we realize it or not, or admit it or not we all have a preference.... its just getting over the hump and accepting our own opinions

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks for letting me know. It's always nice to find some stranger on the Internet who knows what my subconscious is telling me better than I do.

eht13 likes this.
  22. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I prefer the Lego Star Wars Trilogy. :p

23. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    WINNING

24. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I prefer the OT. I rank the movies thus:

1. SW
    2. ESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. ROTS
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

25. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Films, not fans. -Darth Boba

HanSolo29 , Drewton and Valairy_Scot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.