main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Proposal for Yuuzhan Vong Board

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darthjulian777, Jan 2, 2013.

1. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    To Whom It May Concern:

I have been an avid Star Wars fan from the moment I first laid eyes on the original trilogy. I, like many other people, was drawn into the mystique of the Jedi vs. the Sith, Good vs Evil, right and wrong. This all changed when I happened upon the novels set during the New Jedi Order. My fixation no longer relied upon the absolutes of these ancient orders, bur rather the ambiguous morality that followed in the wake of the largest galactic invasion to ever hit store shelves. I was drawn in by the struggle between living and doing what’s right, but more importantly I became taken by these beasts and they’re society, so different from any we had been presented in the past. It seems however since that time they’ve been wiped away, confined to a minimalist role in the galactic history. To many of us however, that fixation remains, and there are not many good outlets on these boards for it. The literature board has been where I’ve spent the most time in my theforce.net browsing. It is the most appropriate place for the New Jedi Order series seeing as it is in fact literature. Much of this board however is focused on newer fiction, rumors and the such, and a heavy focus on the “big three.” Any mention of the Yuuzhan Vong often gets little or no attention and I find this completely unacceptable. As such, I would like to propose the creation of a new board, one based on the focus and study of the Yuuzhan Vong and their invasion of the galaxy.

Proposal:

Force Smuggler and myself have been discussing ways to introduce a vibrant new community dedicated to all things Yuuzhan Vong. While we understand there is a board dedicated to literature, we don’t feel that it holds enough discussion on this topic, and we feel that the topic is both broad and deep enough to carry the weight of a community.

Potential Topics:

Book by Book analysis of the NJO: Themes and Motifs, effects on characters, analysis of the individual roles of Yuuzhan Vong

Morality of Yuuzhan Vong: The balance of their society with the galaxy, as well as the morality of their militant culture and the ethics of their bioengineering.

An analysis and critique of their religious system, forces behind their invasive nature. The role that bioengineering plays upon their religious ideals.

A sociological examination of the caste system, from the Shamed Ones to Shimrra and everything in between. An examination of the interaction between these castes and how they shape the society.

In depth examinations on their technology and space travel. The pros and cons of their coraltech etc.

Their impact on Star Wars as a series, how they’ve influenced the “current” events of Star Wars. The fandom surrounding them. Potential appearances outside of the New Jedi Order.

How each writer in the NJO affected the Yuuzhan Vong. Certain writers enjoyed them more than others and crafted them to that image, how did that play a role in the shaping of these people.

Are the Yuuzhan Vong the ultimate villains, or the most misunderstood species in the galaxy?

Other:

We would also like to support any fanfiction about Yuuzhan Vong or the NJO, we would also like to give our support to artists who dedicate time to creating imagery of Yuuzhan Vong and Yuuzhan Vong tech. Perhaps even support the creation of some sort of video or video game with the Yuuzhan Vong.

We find the Yuuzhan Vong to be the most fascinating of people in the Star Wars universe and we feel that they are not done the service they deserve right now in terms of representation in the forums. As such we submit this proposal to you in the humble hopes that you accept this petition and grant us domain over the Board of Yuuzhan Vong.

Sincerely,

DarthJulian777 and Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Actually this is why the EUC exists. This is the thread you're looking for. Yuuzhan Vong Homeworld

Edit and to be fair that's an old thread and I'm sure the EUC mods would allow you to create a new one and lock that one. Contact Sinrebirth or Adalia-Durron

3. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    Ah, but it only exists as one solid thread which makes it difficult to branch out a discussion. Again, it doesn't lead to a a strong community. With a dedicated board the opportunities for discussion and learning will be magnified tenfold.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    It doesn't make it difficult. There are a lot of in depth discussions that have taken place in those fan clubs and the community of the EUC fan clubs is probably stronger than most of the forums on here.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I for one look forward to the "Yuuzhan Vong Cooking Thread" where we can discuss the benefits of fried vonduun crab versus roasted ooglith.

benknobi1 likes this.
  6. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    Hey, GAJ, if you guys okay the boards, I will be more than happy to whip up some Yuuzhan Vong Cooking Threads. Sounds pretty interesting too!

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The chances of this forum coming to pass are somewhere around zero, and even that may be overly optimistic.

8. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    Can you list the downsides of this potential forum?

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Interest I'd imagine. Us NJO and Vong Die-Hards will be there but who else?

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's just not happening. That's pretty much all there is to it. Others will fill in the blanks for you, but having been here for over ten years, I can say with some degree of certainty that this forum isn't happening. The EUC is what you're looking for, and that has been around a long time.

11. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    I mean I would appreciate if you presented arguments against it, the benefits far outweigh any benefits, and if it turned out to be a massive failure you could always delete it. help me understand where you're coming from.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Too narrow an interest and an already-extant forum for it.

13. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    But how is that a negative, what's do you lose from making it? I don't feel that thread is large enough to encompass what I wish to accomplish.

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Web boards need traffic to thrive? A super-specific forum doesn't accomplish that. We've already merged pretty much all of our JCC outliers to cope with the lower level of traffic we get nowadays; a forum about literally one species and culture isn't going to fly.

15. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    But how would it detract from viewership? it wouldn't bleed views

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    But it wouldn't necessarily be gaining any, either. You can't have a flat level of views.

17. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    But if it doesn't detract from the viewership of the forums as a whole that shouldn't be a reason to potentially eliminate it as a possible forum.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    But it would. It'd be asking for more data-which theforce.net does have to pay for-for no real reason.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In addition, why the Vong and not a species that has actually shown up in one of the films and therefore almost certainly has more fans?

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    Because the Vong are arguably much more important and have the highest impact on the events within their day in the spotlight. They completely devastated an entire galaxy. They're the only species to have 19 novels and 6 novellas written about them. In terms of the canon of Star Wars, they're possibly the most fleshed out alien species that has been presented to us and thus easiest to talk about and develop theses about. Are you going to be debating the morality of Ysalimiri, do you have the same qualms with supporting the bioengineering Ithorian developing new ways to save trees? No you're going to look at Nen Yim and see her heresy and her attempt to subvert her own people, and you can discuss that to great length.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would also support an Ortolan forum.

RC-1991 likes this.
  22. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    I would be happy to oblige you on that one too GAJ as soon as they invade the galaxy, cut off their own limbs for prosthetics, terraform planets, and have 26 stories written about them! aha

23. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    The difference being that the roasted ooglith is healthier for you whereas the fried vonduun crab tastes yummier. I usually baste the ooglith in dragweed broth to promote flavor. My favorite beverage is Sparkbee honey, but you have to be careful with it or else you end up setting yourself on fire.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's all well and good but can you name a Yuuzhan Vong who has his own band? can you?

Didn't think so.

25. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008