main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

QC Quebec and Canada... the official Divorce Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Uilmuteiz, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    What the heck is wrong about Conan O'brien

and the rest of Canada If I might add..

I mean he's invited to do his show in Toronto (which I have no problem with) for 1 million dollars (Okay canadian so it's almost nothing for him)

So for my rant:

Why is it when some of us decide to throw a Referendum to seperate from the rest of canada, you send us BUS filled with people saying "please don't leave us.. Stay with us, we love you Quebec"

Then you send us students to distribute bags of Ontario filled tourism information in our metro stations.

And yet when some American host starts blasting us.. you're applauding him... I'm not especially talking to the people who visit these boards for I know they have more sense then that, and I'm friend with them..

But I mean come on.. If you really want to keep us.. don't encourage such activities.

what saddens me the most is that here in Quebec we're really screwed.

The rest of Canada doesn't like us because we've expressed a strong opinion on separating.

The Americans don't like us because we're still considered Canadians to them.
    (and yet I'm sure we would become another star were we to separate from the confederation)

The French... well the French decided to let us go a long time ago.

I've decided to open a discussion on this in the Quebec General Forums.. see what the people around these boards feel like.

My own opinion is that we missed our chance when it came to us. so I don't really care about this issue anymore. But you got to admit that judging on the situation... it's pretty scary.

2. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    "The Americans don't like us because we're still considered Canadians to them."

I don't think it's because you?re "Canadian", I think it's that Americans thinking that the Canadian French are the same as the European French.

Remember, the U.S. still has a chip on their shoulder from when the French refused to fight against Iraq. France was a strong opponent to the war and fought to stop the U.S from invading (that?s right?they invaded, they did not liberate). Canada just elected to walk away quietly. (And a smart move too.)

As for Conan...
    I have not watched any of the shows taped in Toronto. But I did hear the "comedy" sketch with Triumph the dog. Was it "below the belt"?

I do know it took the "heat" off Don Cherry, and I was very upset when the CBC tried to muzzle him. Don Cherry is a "tell it like he sees it" person, something the world needs more of. I think we often take the "politically correct" stuff to way far. Sometimes a little "shock and ahh" is just the thing that is needed for those that are mentally sleeping.

As for Conan, I don't think it was anything worse that what we have heard from our own political comedy shows. I know that "The Royal Canadian Air Farce" and "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" took their shots at the referendum, both from a Quebec POV and a Rest of Canada POV. Does it make if just as wrong? Or do we think it's ok because it's Canadians making fun of Canadians.

I also remember Triumph making fun of Star Wars fans waiting in line for Episode I. I found it very VERY funny. But that was only because I was able to laugh at myself because even I waited in line for tickets to go on sale. But I know that 3 of our YJN members took great offence to it.

So I guess it boils down to a personal feeling on how you take it. Was it "comedy" to offend? Or was it "comedy" to make light out of something that became a very large issue with all Canadians? I for one was very upset with the thought of Quebec leaving Canada. For me it was lightening a black mark on Canadian history.

*Footnote?regarding Don Cherry
    I heard on the radio (AM 1010 talk radio), on Friday, that a Toronto lawyer looking into the remark that Don Cherry had made. The remark was "?face shields are only worn by Europeans and the French (meaning French Canadians)".

It turns out that Don Cherry was right!

After looking at all the players in the NHL, the lawyer found that 80-90% of Europeans and "the French" do in fact wear visors

3. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Chris, Don Cherry made a deragatory comment toward European and Quebecer hockey players. He is a idiot and he talks out of his *** all the time. He made a stupid comment and has payed the consequence. He may say it like he "sees it", but he lives in a magic universe.

4. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Sorry, I just don't see it as derogatory. It was a statement based on fact. It was a statement based around the discussion regarding different styles and how equipment differs between NHL players. It was not something said to be demeaning towards anyone.

Edit: spelling

5. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Everything that idiot says is deragatory if it defers from his opinion.

6. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Insults very often are not meant as insults.
    Sarcasm is not meant as beeing insulting but very often is considered as such.

I for one do believe strongly that if you're not worth a laugh, you aint worth much.

But there is a limit to beeing laughed at.

When I saw Triumph the insult dog go against Star Wars fans in the NY Line I was outraged.
    Why
    Well for the simple fact that after doing all the insult bits, he never mentionned that they were waiting to help a Charity.
    I even met some of the people that were in that line previously at the Star Wars Celebration. And I don't believe that O'Brien should have said some of the things he said.

Do I find the bit funny yeah. Do I think he could have done it in another way? I sure do.

But when he decided to accept coming to Canada and going after Quebec.. well I'm sorry, but my cultural heritage is something I do not like beeing laughed about.

Just imagine what would happen if we were to laugh about the US Constitution!!

To be quite honest, I watched the show on friday night to see if he would excuse himself.. since I missed the first 3 minutes.. I might have missed them.
    But I know he was doing these bits about the CN tower VS the Seattle needle tower.. there was a Race the CN tower won because an RCMP officer tripped the Seattle Tower. Another one was a mud fight which was won by the CN Tower.. then Limbo on friday Needle tower was winning until the CN Tower wrestled it to the ground.

Well now how do you feel beeing portrayed as a primitive childish brute.. or maybe I should take it smoothly and believe he was referring to some FACTS for which a user I'll keep anonymous raised in these forums and was banned for doing so.

If you think it's funny that he's making fun of an RCMP officer garding the border is fun.. feel free to do so. but in these dark ages of international relations, I don't think of it as funny but more a judgment that our borders are so easy to go trough.

Basically I think Conan's humor isn't all that funny and I thought I'd make it clear here..

And let me be very clear on something else. If I ever see that Freak Puppet Dog less than 10 feet from me... it's loosing it's cigar.. for good ^_^

As for the walking bubba of beer, I think he says what he thinks and he's reknown for doing so.

My comments on the visor is very simple.
    How would you like me to slapshot you in the face.. don't worry about Physical of Psychological Damage... I think it's already been done (<- See that's a funny Sarcastic joke) :D

In both cases I don't care about what they have to say, so I don't really watch them.

But when they come after thing I love and cherish.. I tend to be protective.

Sadly this world is all about Reputation, and he's bashed both reputations I have down to the 3 layer of underground rock. If i'm both a Star Wars fan from Quebec, it means I'm Dull, Boring and that I don't know how to please women...

I think I'm more annoying, ruthless and I don't have a problem with pleasing women.

I'm just saying he's making fun not only of us Quebecers, but also of you Canadians. I hope you see a bit more my POV on the subject.

7. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Can't you take a joke ? Conan is funny. I loved the NYC SW bit, it was funny. If you take everything seriously in life you will spend you time bitching.

8. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Oh I can take a joke.. but just to rant some more...

one of the Liberals commented about the Sponsors Scandal going on right now (Chrétien so knew it was coming.. that's why he put Martin in office.)

Anyhow, one of the Liberals mention that "That's the way they must do politic in Quebec"

*golf clapping hands three times*
    Braaaa vvoooo

sometimes I really wonder... I really do. ^_^

So now that the Liberals are going down, and that the Conservators will probably get the next mandate, I think we can aim for a Referendum in about 3 years.

Maybe less if Charest keeps on going the way he's going.

By the way you should try this, very funny

GO to google (whichever one you want)
    then type in this text :
    mouton insignifiant (translates to Insignificant lamb)
    then click on the I'm felling lucky button.

you'll see that's funny.

9. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Conservatives LOL your funny . . .

10. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    you really think NDP could make it trough... yeah your right we never know with Sheila switching sides soon..

11. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Liberal win, again. Want to know why ? Because the conservatives can't win Quebec and the Bloc and the NDP are both too small.

12. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002

Uilmuteiz, I agree with you 100%. I can't stand Conan O'Brien. He really is annoying!

13. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    Ha finally a well balanced mind ^_^

14. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
  15. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    I killed the thread!! That's official, NO DIVORCE for Quebec and Canada.

16. haakun

haakun Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2002
    Why the quebecers want to separate their homeland from Canada??

Just curiosity, I'm foreigner... :)

17. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999

-The culture is different (French canadian vs english canadian)

-To have total control over immigration, Health Care system, Education and to do as they please with taxes (which means idiot spendings)

-Don Cherry :) I have to agree, he's an idiot!

The separatists (which are thankfully slowly dying) are basing their arguments from way back in History, saying that the english-speaking canadians have always treated us, french-canadians as less than equals, unworthy of paying much attention etc. They are playing the "we've been screwed over and over" card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.