main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question: Why is casual racism allowed in the JC?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    My thinking was that someone who makes a comment that is racist/bigoted/prejudiced towards a group of people isn't conducting themselves "in a manner which is respectful to themselves and fellow users at all times." Am I wrong?

Note: I'm not point at a specific thread, just I've noticed a few threads have gone this route.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I think it's weird. I mean if I dropped a "lol IT'S CUZ HE'S BLACK" somewhere in a thread I'm sure that would be a major edit.

3. Jozy_Oguchi

Jozy_Oguchi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2010
    smh @ this racism

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I don't appreciate racist or hateful viewpoints, but they should be able to voice their opinions. I think the key part of the TOS that you quoted was "fellow users." If a racist or hateful comment is directed toward a specific user here, that is a violation of the TOS in my opinion and should be dealt with. General viewpoints, however appalling they may be, don't violate that part of the TOS, IMO.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Could you cite some specific examples, Vivec? They don't necessarily have to be actual posts, just something that can help the rest of us understand what you're referring to.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I think he's referring to the gypsy thing.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As much... uh, fun, as I'm having with that thread, I'd tend to agree with Vivec. I don't want the JCC to become like some-- er, legislative bodies.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    SLG is correct; the gypsy thread is the most recent one.
    I don't agree. Just because my target is more than one person doesn't mean I'm not flaming or baiting them.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Could we try to be a little more specific than just saying "the gypsy thread"? Maybe link to the actual thread and give some examples of posts that support your issue?

10. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    Grimby: http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/31521400/p1/?127

Vivec, if the people being insulted are registered users, then that's one thing. But I believe the rules are interpreted so that flames/baits/etc are only bannable if they're directed at registered users.

11. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I'm with Sean. But I guess this goes with the policy of ignoring racism on the JC.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Grimby, really. You were a direct participant in the threads we're referencing.

Source

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Wocky, that doesn't mean I remember exactly what thread it was or that I should assume I know what Vivec is talking about. I'm just trying to get some tangible examples posted in this thread so we can discuss the issue. Thank you for posting one.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    There is a difference between a racist viewpoint, and a racist comment. Technically neither are actually against the rules although the second can break rules of the boards at times.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, I tried to make it clear in the OP that I was going for racist comments.

16. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Ah, indeed. It's perfectly acceptable to be a bigot so long as none of "them" are members of the board? Wow.

Again, as has been pointed out many times before about the ability to voice viewpoints, freedom of speech does not exist in a vaccuum. Racicst and hateful viewpoints are generally frowned upon in normal societal exchanges and the boards should be no different. We have to edit a four letter word on the boards that is commonly heard daily on television but we can go ahead and smear an entire group of people based upon thier lifestyle, religion, etc?

Prior to this thread I missed out on the thread that Vivec spoke about. That thread as an example definately crosses some lines.

17. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003

I was not expressing my personal opinion, I was talking about how this kind of thing had been enforced(in the past, to my knowledge) by the moderators only. If you'll read my posts in this thread and the thread in question, you'll see that I do not condone racist or hateful opinions of any kind, ever, and find them distasteful, and don't want them on the boards.

And for the record, I would be in favor of the MS interpreting racist/hateful/prejudiced/etc comments as Vivec suggests in his OP.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Wow, really broadening the term "racism" with that quoted post. Surprising, considering you guys spend so much time correcting other people's English. Looks like she was very careful to not be directly racist, in context (which you guys are big on too, whenever YOU are quoted).

No girls here think you are awesome or attractive for championing these things. Stop trying.

19. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Racism as per Oxford: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior

Race as per Oxford: group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group

Whats your point?

20. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006

21. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    For what it's worth, I agree 100% with this sentiment.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think it is awesome and attractive when people champion against racism.

I do not think it's awesome or attractive when people get drunk and troll comms, late night, for no reason. Stop trying.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Attracting women is my only motivation to do anything.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes, everything you do in life, should be with the underlying motivation to spread your seed.

25. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    [image=http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3250/internetlynchmob.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.