main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RARE TELEVISION ALERT! The 136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    TLC, TV-G

Table for 12

"Cameras follow Eric and Betty Hayes, parents to two sets of twins (ages 10 and 12) and 4-year-old sextuplets. The rambunctious clan celebrates Betty's birthday, so it's not earth-shattering TV, but the wholesome depiction of multiples does wash away the ''Octomom'' ickiness. B+ ?Tanner Stransky"

10-11:30PM
    PBS, TV-G

The Powder & the Glory

"A profile of makeup pioneers Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein, who lived a few blocks apart but spent their lives hating each other. But seriously, how much do we love the ''Je te loathe, neighbor'' shade of lip gloss?"

2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I watched "Table for Twelve", now I'm looking for a rusty razor blade to slit my wrists.:p

3. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Just to let everyone know TCM is showing the work of Chuck Jones. What's sad is I have to put this in RARE TELEVISION ALERT.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9:30-10PM
    Nickelodeon, TV-Y7

Series Debut
    The Penguins of Madagascar

"Will we ever tire of penguins (or, as I think of them, the tiny tuxedo models of the sea)? Adults might: While kids should eat up this Madagascar spin-off, the merely young-at-heart may find laughs harder to locate than in the movies. The two adventures in the pilot are worryingly similar: In ''Launchtime,'' our waddling heroes make the mistake of thinking they've traveled to the moon, and in ''Haunted Habitat,'' they make the mistake of thinking the zoo has a ghost. Unaccompanied adults should think twice before tuning in. C+ ?Clark Collis"

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM
    NatGeo, TV-PG

In Search of Jesus' Tomb

"Jesus wasn't resurrected but got married and had a kid? Hey, don't go sending me ''You'll burn in hell!'' e-mails ? I didn't write the show making that claim. Take your heretic-hating wrath up with National Geographic."

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM*
    PBS, TV-PG

Doctors' Diaries

"Diaries follows seven Harvard med students on their journeys through death, divorce, and disappointment. It's intriguing to watch them struggle through gross anatomy and neglected personal lives, but it's so grueling you may be inclined to watch the glossed-over, sexed-up version on Grey's Anatomy. B ?Lesley Savage"

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    Animal Planet, TV-14-V

Puppy Mills: Exposed
    B+

"Mills follows the ASPCA in its quest to stop the inhumane treatment of dogs on the puppy farms that supply many of the nation's pet stores. Not for the faint of heart, its shocking footage and gruesome details get the message across: You will never buy a fuzzy friend from a pet store again. ?Lesley Savage"

8. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    The previews for this were really disturbing. I would sob my way though this I'm afraid.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Never bought a dog from pet store, ever.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

10-11PM*
    PBS, TV-PG

Wings of Defeat

"Terrence Howard introduces this film about kamikazes ? the nondrink variety."

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-10PM*
    PBS, TV-14

Wallander

"Kenneth Branagh channels his inner Swedish sleuth for the first of three mystery specials. Here's the thing: I keep imagining the Swedish Chef being brutally murdered and it's making me sad and disturbed. *check local listings"

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-9PM
    NatGeo, TV-PG-L

Disaster Lab: Tornado

"Cameras follow a veteran storm chaser into Tornado Alley, where he attempts to place 85-pound probes directly into the path of approaching twisters to better understand them. Of course, he has to perform this feat amid golf-ball-size hail and car-flipping wind. Twister's CGI team wish they had footage this good. B+ ?Kate Ward"

I love shows like this.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    CBS and PBS

July 4 coverage

"Forget the battles for independence. Tonight is the battle of the iconically cheesy '70s singers. On CBS Neil Diamond joins host Craig Ferguson (10 -- 11 p.m.) for the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular, while on PBS Barry Manilow joins host Jimmy Smits for A Capitol Fourth(8 -- 9:30 p.m.*). In the name of patriotism, let at least one wear a sequined American flag."

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-11PM
    Discovery, TV-PG

Shark Week Begins!
    Blood in the Water

"The week kicks off with a movie about five shark attacks on the Jersey Shore in the summer of 1916. Like Jaws, but with tackier accents."

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-11PM
    MTV, TV-14-DL
    mtv_video_music_awards_150

Preview
    2009 MTV Video Music Awards

"I'm going to make a startling prediction: VMA host Russell Brand will say something controversial at some point during tonight's live awards show. After all, this is the man who was forced to apologize after famously mocking purity rings during last year's telecast. At least parents will be able to lift the earmuffs off their kids during performances by such family-friendly singers as Taylor Swift and Beyoncé, as well as crowd-pleasing acts like Green Day and Lady Gaga. But let's face it: We're tuning in just to see what perennial VMA participant Britney Spears will do ? or what Brand will inevitably say about her. ?Kate Ward"

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    What a complete fool. I am starting to really hate the man. It's a good thing he's really talented or I'd get rid of all his music I own. As it stands, I have to live with this dissonace; he's brilliant and a fool all at the same time.

18. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    This was a genius move on Kanye's part.

He has successfully gotten everyone in America talking about him.

19. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I didn't like it. He essentially ruined what should've been Taylor Swift's moment.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    And he helped her too. She's getting more recognition now then if she were to just win the award and give a boring speech and leave.

21. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
  22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Yeah, being humiliated in public by an idiot is always helpful.

:p

Kanye wasn't thinking about helping her, he was thinking about how much he disagreed with the people who voted. Since this is a Kanyecracy, his opinion overruled everyone else's. And he had the right to humiliate Swift in public while expressing this opinion. His ego has gone to his head and fermented.

If you don't like award shows, KW, don't go.

Beyonce, OTOH, showed loads of class and poise.

23. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    she wasn't humiliated. All she got was free publicity. Everyone is on her side with this. This is the best thing that could have happened to her.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next you'd be saying she planned it, a la 9/11. :p

25. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    No, I don't think it was staged(but with MTV's track record would that surprise anyone?) but I do think she benefitted from this greatly