main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Recommend me some good Vampire books

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Age range doesn't particularly matter a huge amount. I'm just looking for good, well written Vampire fiction to enjoy Halloween with. Among others I've read lately have been the Twilight series, Dracula, Anne Rice's vampire series, all of Kim Newman's vampire books, among others.

I'm just looking for a few more good ones. :)

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. There's currently a TV show on HBO based on the books, but I prefer the books.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh really? I didn't know they made those into a TV series.

IMO the first book was good, but the second was meh and I didn't get very far in the third.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  5. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Nat, the series is called True Blood and it's on Sunday nights on HBO.

I skimmed the second and third books in a book store. I didn't really get into the series until the fifth one, I think. The last one (eighth?) was the best, imo. I'm curious what she's going to do with a certain plot point we learn at the end.

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Seconded. Fine novel.

John Steakley's Vampire$ was fun, but I read it years ago, so don't know how well it would hold up.

Robert R. McCammon's They Thirst.

Lucius Shepard's The Golden.

Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels: Already Dead, No Dominion, Half the Blood of Brooklyn, Every Last Drop. The fifth and final one shouldn't be too many more months a-coming. I love Huston.

Not your tradition bloodsuckers, more "mind vampires," but Dan Simmons' Carrion Comfort is a favorite of mine. He's also done regular vampires in the less good but not bad Children of the Night.

Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum

Robin McKinley's Sunshine.

Scott Wessterfeld's Peeps - YA novels wherein the vampirism is an STD.

Bear in mind I think Twilight is loathsome so our tastes may differ. :)

7. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. I can't stand that series. Glad to know I'm not alone. :D

I've heard that P.C Cast's vampire books are good, although I've never read them.

- Serena

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    She wrote vampire books?

9. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Yep. A whole bunch of them. They're geared towards older teens and young adults, though - not for the tween readers like Twilight.

10. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    I Am Legend - Richard Matheson (one of the best of all time)
    'Salems Lot - Stephen King (scary stuff... one of King's better works)
    Lost Souls - Poppy Z. Brite (kind of an emo book... before there were emos)

11. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Most definately The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. Those books are just great! You have action, romance, humor...everything actually.
    Then there's The Breed Series by Lara Adrian. Enjoyed those books a whole lot, as well.

The Dark Hunter books are great, too. A different sort of Vampire books, since the author turned the greek Goddess Artemis into a blood sucking extraordinarily evil witch. But highly interesting.

These are my personal favorites.
    I really adore everything that has Vampires in it, preferably the male kind, I have to admit though.

But, these are adult books. So absolutely not comparable to Twilight. Thank goodness. :p

12. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    when i was younger, i enjoyed christie golden's of saints and shadows. i guess it's the first in a series of other novels, all dealing with vampires.

13. That_Joker_Guy

That_Joker_Guy Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2008
    Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi (yes i know that name from the top of my head:p )
    It reads well, though the content might be - a matter of taste. I find it borderline disgusting (not the violence, mind you) but read it anyway. I just like the adventures too much.[face_blush]

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    13 Bullets by David Wllington. He actually serialized it on his site. If you liked 30 days of Night, then this will be right up your alley.

15. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    Twilight, duh :p

The captive, I guess too

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Raven, did you select any good vampire books?

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    After being disapointed by the HBO show, I tried Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, and was equally disapointed. Before I posted the thread I'd already read John Steakley's Vampires (I neither liked nor disliked it), Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum (which reinforced my dislike of Terry Pratchett books), Robin McKinley's Sunshine (which I had just rerereread and still love, dispite the book having a weak middle). I Am Legend is great, with one of the greatest endings in horror fiction, and thankfully I read it long before I saw the movie. Similar to my experiance with Carpe Jugulum, 'Salems Lot is one of the reasons I dislike Stephen King.

Vampire Hunter D I saw on book shelves a few years ago, flipped through, and decided against. As for some of the other selections, I'm not really after emo or young adult right now.

I intend to order My Swordhand is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick, Already Dead by Charlie Huston, and whatever the first book of the The Black Dagger Brotherhood series happens to be.

18. TheModFavorite

Sep 14, 2007
    i'd like to clarify that my recommendation wasn't for young adult. reading it when i was younger meant i'd read it in my early 20s.

19. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Like are looking for the more two-fanged European type vampires, or like the razor blade mouthed monster vampires of more recent fiction?

20. EAT_AT_HUTTS

EAT_AT_HUTTS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin. Tale of a 19th century riverboat captain and his friendship with a vampire. Good stuff.

(Regarding HBO and True Blood, it's nice to see them warm up for CGI effects with collies before moving on to direwolves and dragons and stuff) [face_devil]

21. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'd like to recommend 'The Society of S' by Susan Hubbard.
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Society-of-S/Susan-Hubbard/e/9781416534587
    and the sequel "Year of Disappearances"
    A 3rd book is in progress.

22. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Well pretty much all the good stuff has been said, but I recommend the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. It has vampires, the second book is focussed on them, but it also has lots of werewolves and the main character is a half Native American mechanic who shape-shifts into a coyote.

23. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Susan Mckee Charnas' "Vampire Tapestry" is a very good book, however it is extremely hard 2 track down..."out of print".

It's a very dry book but worth examining. Richard Matheson's "I am Legend" is a sci-fi/horror vampire benchmark. Also, there was a great show in the 90's that played with the vampire genre as a mafia family ie...Sopranos, don't remember the tv show name off hand but will get it ltr. Books are one thing/ television/movies is another...."Dark Shadows",Near Dark, Lost Boys...etc.

24. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I really enjoyed Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson. I really wish there had been a sequel.

Not about a vampire, although there are vampires in it, I've really enjoyed Carrie Vaughn's series that began with Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

~lordmaul13

25. TheModFavorite

Sep 14, 2007
    the show was actually based off of the vampire:the gathering game by white wolf. it was called kindred: the embraced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.