main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    While I largely agree with you that it is impossible to make sense out of all of George Lucas's double speak I think part of the problem lies in your partial statement from above. Somehow peoples ability to be critical, and peoples ability to vote with their wallets, is now mentioned in the same breath as people who are tossing threats and insults towards George Lucas and his family.

Saying "Please consider our opinions, your customers and fans" is far different different than threatening George's life because someone doesn't like a cartoon. One has no relation to another.

2. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    ^^^^^This.

sinkie and Valairy Scot like this.
  3. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, but the problem is that the loudest voices are the rudest and have the effect of swallowing up the reasonable ones.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I agree and disagree with Plinkett. I think he's very funny, not in a conventional kind of funny, but in a sarcastic, serious, angry, complaining, satirical, kind of funny. His reviews are on Youtube! They're very funny sometimes! He has several funny quotes. But he's too picky a lot of times.[face_cowboy]

5. Fensbane

Fensbane Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2012
    Reading this thread I get the impression that some people think that one has to be either a RLM cultist or a PT fanboy. I also do not understand why the criticism on TPM focusses on JarJar Binks or Midi-chlorians. While I agree that JarJar might be a symptom of GL trying to appeal to certain audience groups (whether that is positive or negative) and introducing, but not following up on Midi-chlorians is strange, neither did ruin the movie for me. FWIW I thought all prequel movies were okaish movies with some apparent flaws. In the same way Plinkett provides a solid review with some good and some bad reasoning, some funny and some awkward stuff as well as some predictable nitpicking. Shame there is often no such grey grounds in discussion regarding the issue.

kainee likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I skipped around for about 3 minutes of a RLM review of Star Trek insurrection and wanted to tear my ears off due to how damn annoying the vocals were. No mas. Never gonna do that to myself ever again.

kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    There is no grey ground because Plinkett does NOT provide any good or solid anything. And he more than anyone else is responsible for uniting hateboys on the quest to destroy Star Wars.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49516899/Red-Letter-Media-s-Episode-I-Review-A-Study-in-Fanboy-Stupidity

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm not sure if I should laugh at or feel sorry for anyone who would go to that much trouble to rebuke a review. If you take away peoples' opinions, what do we have left?
    Sad, sad, sad...

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  9. Fensbane

Fensbane Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2012
    This is exactly what I mean. I read the first pages of the lengthy article in your link and the author already agreed with some of Plinkett's points. So you certainly cannot cite that source to back up your claim that Plinkett does not provide anything good or solid. He does, even according to this criticism. This is exactly the black/white thinking that takes over most discussions regarding the PT. I think StarWars fanboys and "hateboys" are really not better than each other in that regard.

kainee and Yunners like this.
  10. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Can we beg the Red Letter Media guy to make reviews for the Original Trilogy of the Star Wars saga? I have seen the three reviews of the Prequel Trilogy. I have watched his Star Trek reviews. I found his humor interesting, even through I am a fan of all six Star Wars films regardless.

11. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Been watching this tread for a while and want to throw in my 2 cents:

I think the RLM reviews are absolutely hilarious! I truly do believe you have to be a little older to appreciate them (maybe?). Mike even pokes fun at SW fans "under 20" in his Phantom Menace review...and I think this is why.

While I didn't give the prequels that kind of thrashing when they were first released, I was one of those fans that felt a little put-off and didn't know why, and what was said in the review was true, about people not being able to put a finger on what was bothering them about the films. So, the videos expound on every single little detail that could possibly be made fun of about the movie, and it all finally clicked for me.

I don't share all the same opinions, but I did learn a lot about the movies just by watching the reviews. It's more like entertainment than a seirous review, I guess. I'd say even the creators can appreciate things about the movies and just chose to not go that direction for the sake of comedy.

Also love all their Star Trek reviews for the same reason though: because the Next Generation movies just didn't hold up to the show itself...it just sort of made you miss the show more watching those movies.

Yunners likes this.
  12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, yeah, I don't know why it's always so polarizing. For example, I like the prequels but think they have some significant flaws (primary AOTC and TPM, I'll take ROTS over ROTJ any time). However, I very often end up defending them. Maybe because I think there're too many accusations that I find unfair or because I feel there's a certain rewriting of history that has been happening since TPM came out (i.e. that critics and audience hated the prequels which is blatantly untrue).

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    They wouldn't and couldn't, because RLM doesn't review, they only bash. And since they worship the OOT, they can't make a "review" about it without adding bashing, which would discredit all their PT reviews.

Andy Wylde and kainee like this.
  14. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Not true. They do film reviews all the time in their Half In The Bag show.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This "a little older" person doesn't think they're funny in the slightest. His poking fun at people under 20 was less offensive to me than his racist and misogynistic "humor" and his arrogant insinuation that anyone who didn't share his opinion was stupid.

16. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Going out on a limb here...I've seen these reviews and agreed on everything he thought was wrong with the prequels - even find him to be somewhat lenient as there's a lot more that could be said about these films, but I don't appreciate the humor. Anyway, reading through this thread is, and this is where I'm going out on that limb, is like reading a discussion between theists and atheists. One side tries to convince the other; one side uses arguments and examples, the other says "lalalala". I'll leave it at that-

17. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Didn't meant to hit a nerve. I'm sorry you hate those reviews so much.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No harm no foul.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Arguments and examples: http://www.scribd.com/doc/49516899/Red-Letter-Media-s-Episode-I-Review-A-Study-in-Fanboy-Stupidity

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    [Palpatine]I will be reading this with great interest[/Palpatine] Thanks Arawn, I will check it out.

21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I honestly don't understand why people act like RLM was such a big revelation. There's nothing in his reviews that hasn't been reiterated to death since 1999. I suppose I could give him the points for rivaling Tarantino's compilation skills...

22. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The TPM review was maybe the best piece of movie criticism I have ever seen.

The AOTC review was still good, but a little repetitive, and they overdid the Plinkett "character development".

I thought they were a little unfair to RoTS. RoTS wasn't great, but it was easily the best of the three prequels, and has some genuine good parts to it that RLM trashed anyway.

23. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Kenobi should have asked Sidious "How do you know what a sith lord is?" in the Revenge of the Sith. That is my favorite comment from the Red Letter Media. In the Attack of the Clones, Padme knew where Kenobi & Kenobi were fighting Dooku at. "We need to get to that hanger." In the Phantom Menace, baby Anakin gets a small helmet so that he can be safe while he goes into space to blow up that ship.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novels, the Jedi told Palpatine about the Sith (specifically, Maul) after he became Chancellor.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine, even in his guise of kindly politician, is a student of esoterica.

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.