main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, I know people my own age who were teenagers when the prequels came out who thought they were "too cool" for the new movies. You know, some audiences think they're Mystery Science Theater 3000. You begin watching the movie with the intention to make fun of everything. Unfortunately, Star Wars audiences can be big and obnoxious. 11PM showings aged 18-older especially. I think it's not so much age as it is attitude.

kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    When I was watching HP and the Deathly Hallows Part II all the teenagers in the back of the theatre couldn't stop laughing at the epilogue (at the makeup, I presume) :rolleyes:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If you think sexist and racist stereotypes are funny, I suppose. I don't find them funny at all. Misogyny and bigotry aren't funny.

Yeah, stereotypes and generalizations FTL. I grew up on the OOT, was 27 years old when TPM premiered in theaters, and I like the prequels, although my favorite film will always be ROTJ and my least favorite film will always be ROTS. On this board you'll find people my age and older who like the prequels, and people in their 20s who do not.

4. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    OK so they are filled with that kind of stuff but there are moments that are truly funny

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Plinkett didn't create the racist stereotypes in the prequels, he just pointed them out in a satirical tone. And if you're going to criticize Plinkett for that, then there's a ton of great, classic movies - from Airplane! to To Be or Not To Be to Black Dynamite - that you're going to have to put in line way ahead of Plinkett to dump on.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Whether there are racist stereotypes in the prequels is another argument; my point was that Plinkett uses racist and sexist stereotypes to make his point. "All women like aggressive men/no women like nervous men" and "all 19-year-old men care about is sex." These are his sole points as to the romance not working, and as I said, stereotypes FTL. I liked the romance but I have heard arguments made against it on these boards that I actually understood, arguments which did not put large groups of people into boxes.

The racist stereotypes had to do with the idea that Mace Windu, simply because he was played by Samuel L. Jackson, should have been more like Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction, and as I recall his race was mentioned.

7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    What makes him think Anakin didn't care about sex? It's a kids movie, but the hints are there. Is he going to complain that Luke calls Leia "beautiful" instead of, say, "What a hotie, I want to bang her"?

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Have you ever actually been a 19 year old man?

I have. Trust me - sometimes stereotypes are true, and this is one of those times.

9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Oh, OK. Next time a 19 year old tells me he's in love, I'll tell him to go beat off a few times.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm pretty sure Luke & Leia were not another case of immaculate conception :rolleyes:

11. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    My friends enjoy the PT a lot, but I had a difficult time getting them to watch the OT...They thought they were boring. Blasphemous or not, there are plenty of people like that. And they grew up with the newer movies, so that might explain it.

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Opinions are one thing, but it's the people who try to "recruit" people to believe in their opinions that piss me off. The "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude of prequel bashers is annoying. If people enjoy the movies, let them be. The same thing goes with RLM, he will not accept anyone's view but his own.

13. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Might explain the popularity of Justin Beiber too, I suppose. Oorah.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, but I dated a few when I was much closer to that age, and...surprise, surprise...they had brains. In their heads. Brains that they actually used. Of course they thought about sex, but they were capable of doing other things.

If Plinkett's stereotypes were true, no 19-year-old man would be able to do anything with a woman other than stare and drool.

"All 19-year-old men have hormones" is biologically true. "Hormones always keep a 19-year-old man from being able to see anything in a woman other than looks" is nothing but an insulting and sexist stereotype.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    immaculate conception?

Luke and Leia were born free from original sin from another galaxy far far away?

news to me :p

16. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I guess RLM and Plinkett won't be everyone's cup of tea but I never got the sense the guy behind the reviews held any of the racist or sexist views that the character of Plinkett does. I have a strong aversion to any actual expressions of sexism or racism but I can usually tell the difference between using a "stereotypical" way of thinking versus actually thinking that way. I found his use of this type of thinking for the character Plinkett just a way of bringing a uncomfortable and edgy humor into his reviews, and because they were extreme they up-ed the ante in terms of the level of hatred this character was expressing. However, in most cases I just read his use of stereotypes as shorthand for Star Wars wasn't known for reinventing the storytelling/character-interaction wheel, so why did he try to change that up with the new films? By presenting the most sterotypical or cliched approach to counter the actual approach taken in the PT films, he was able to compare and constrast what would have worked in a cliched way versus what didn't. But he was also then able to show how much of the stereotyping was actually included and yet found itself bumping up against and clashing with what appeared to be either "bad writing" moments or attempts at doing something more complex with the characters. But because the stereotypes come and go, work and don't work as they are placed and used in the PT, he is basically pointing out the mixed bag we are given that some have issues with, some don't.

But honestly, to say he would rather have actually seen racist and sexist stereotypes on screen because he feels those are true? That's missing the humor and its intention in these reviews I think. Though one is free to not like this approach, that's for sure!

The Sam Jackson point is an example: the character bemoans the lack of use of this actors previously demonstrated strengths. But his basic point is, Windu was lame and you had SLJ play a lame character when his past screen work would show you what kind of characters he can bring to life on the screen. If the "calmer" SLJ had worked for him, then he probably would have admitted that, hey, I wouldn't have thunk it but it worked! It has nothing to do with thinking a person's race should determine what roll they should have.

KilroyMcFadden, ofikenobi and Yunners like this.
  17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Windu was lame? :confused:

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not an urban stereotype cliche = "lame"

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Actually, I think his utter lack of any sort of character was what was being referred to. In a motion picture, a carboard cut-out is pretty lame.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  20. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Mace Windu had 2 character traits

stern

and peeved

occassionally he had a third

Yoda butt kissing, "i agree" is all he ever said to the guy

Jarren_Lee-Saber and ofikenobi like this.
  21. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Even that's stretching it. Those few things didn't even seem genuine.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He disagreed with him in TPM.

23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    followed by the deleted sentence "only kidding Yodie, who could ever disagree with you" ;)

24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Mace was just a supporting character. He was a stoic, no-nonsense Jedi who had a couple of cool moments. He followed the rules to the t, which is what got him killed in the end.

25. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    And he did go out like some punk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.