main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Red Tails" The Next George Lucas Production

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediHPDrummer, Mar 2, 2005.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This movie is by no stretch of the imagination a razzie movie. This movie was very good and the action sequences were awesome. It is also a pretty good WW2 movie

2. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    The Razzies are blatantly trendy and political, in a way that the Oscars can't even approach. Didn't Sofia Coppola (previously criticized for her appearance in The Godfather Part III) get a "Worst Supporting Actress" nomination for her appearance in The Phantom Menace?

I didn't know that you could nominate someone who was basically an extra. :rolleyes:

Just wait until next year's awards, when Red Tails will probably be eligible. Hopefully, the Razzie people will resist the tired Lucas-hating and nominates a movie that's actually "worthy" of the award.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I was very happy that ROTS wasn't on the list in 2005 though.

4. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Wouldn't Red Tails be not eligible, as it was released in 2012?

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I just got the blu-ray from best buy, the surround sound is amazing and the film itself is wonderfully unique in the way that only LFL can pull off.

Love it as a part of my LFL collection [face_flag]

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The aerial combat scenes are unsurpassed.

Alexrd and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    From what I've heard, people are bothered by the CGI aspects of the film. Plus all the Lucas-bashing people just look for anything to attack.

8. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Never seen "Red Tails", but there are some poeple bothered by CGI just because it exists. Not funny.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The plane combat is the finest to-date. As good or better than ILM's work on Pearl Harbor. The opening sequence alone is terrific.

10. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    So sad that this movie didn't make more impact than it did. It's a real gem.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    In today's media, some films can find new life in DVD/Blu-ray.

I hope this one does.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I finally got to see Red Tails on my flight to CVI of all places! Yes, not the ideal way to watch this film on a small monitor in back of the seat in front of you, but considering it never got a release over here, made me really glad I got the opportunity. In fact, the whole flight to the U.S. was very much George Lucas related. Check out the gallery link in my signature for picture evidence. :)

Here are some of my thought on the movie:

-Even though I saw it on such a small screen, with terrible U.S. Airways headphones, it's action still came off as very effective to me.

-Very cool provocative quotation opening with chilling music.

-The opening scene is very unconventionally edited together. It felt so trivial, as if it wasn't intended to feel dramatic, even though it definitely was visually.

-LOVED that beautiful RED TAILS title font appearing out of the explosion.

-HATED the EXTREMELY bland 80's-90's TV-esque font they used for the rest of the opening credits- WHY pick such a uninspired font after that amazing title font and then making it worse by cluttering them over the stunning visuals like that? Why not position them in the frame without covering up the action?

-The Caucasian bomber pilot's line delivery was simply atrocious, even though they were voiced by the TCW cast. "Damn those glory-hogging bastards." for example, would have worked much better had it been just, "...those glory-hogging bastards!"

-The German Pilot Leader's German was oozing overacting. He looked like a great villain, with a cool scar, but his line deliver was laughably over the top to anyone speaking native German, which was IMO not necessary.

-AMAZING visuals and shot composition throughout the aerial scenes.

-Emphasising the music during those two close-ups of the dead bomber crew-members made for very memorable moments, audio-visually.

-I really liked the Red Tails group. The actors managed to pull of their dialogue naturally and became instantly likeable characters to me.

-Ray Gun reminded me of Hayden Christiansen's cheery Anakin depiction. Anyone else get that vibe off him?

-This movie feels like it's part of the Indiana Jones Universe to me, in part because of the many wonderfully familiar Skywalker Sounds SFX!

-I was worried the train might turn out to be a deportation transport to a concentration camp. I wonder if this was intentional to establish this movie won't focus on that aspect, but rather focus on a The Great Escape depiction of war imprisonment.

All in all an enjoyable movie with the noble pursuit to give African American youth an identifiable all heroic role model cast. I think that makes up for some of the unrefined moments of the film. Besides, those aerial scenes are simply beautifully composited and exciting to look at.

13. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    It's a good movie.

I remember reading an article in an old issue of the Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine saying that a film about the Tuskegee Airmen was being roughly scheduled for something like a 1992 release.

Well, better late than never!

14. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Just watched it again earlier today. It gets better with every viewing. It's a real minor classic. So glad he got to make it before retiring.

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I haven't seen the film but the trailers don't suggest that it will be a flop. The worst I can say, which sums up my predictions for the film should it get an Australian release, is it just seems to look like a mediocre wartime film based on real events and essentially telling a story that's already been told (HBO's Tuskegee Airmen) without bringing anything new to the table.

16. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    I saw the HBO one, that's why i never bothered with this one.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Decent flick, mostly because the combat scenes look pretty great. That bit where the one dude crash lands as well is pretty intense. Also I'm glad I actually saw it since I was reading about it in the Star Wars insider in the early 90s so I'm just glad it exists.

18. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I thought it was a decent flick. I enjoyed the look of the film, the comedy feel to the film, and the air chase scenes and dog fights were great. It could've been more realistic, but I enjoyed it. The german guy who kept showing up was hilarious, too. Not film of the year material, by any means, but it was certainly a decent film and worthy of watching. I'd prefer it to crap like The Hunger Games

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Contrary to popular belief, the effects on Red Tails weren't done by ILM (they were occupied with other projects).

20. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Red tails was a great film. Well done and enjoyable. :)

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, ILM did work on the film. They did the opening bomber sequence and built many of the assets used by UPP, Pixomondo, and other fx vendors. They also supervised the other work being done by those other companies.
    Craig Hammack and Russell Earl were ILM's fx supervisors. John Knoll even consulted on the film.

So yes, they were heavily involved.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I recall reading that the SFX had to be done by another company because ILM had too many projects at hand.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No. ILM worked on it. Other fx vendors worked on it too, but ILM was involved from the get-go. Cinefex covered it in an issue early last year.

24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The movie was okay, but 1995's "TUSKEGEE AIRMEN" was better. Who directed this film? I know that Lucas didn't.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Anthony Hemingway, of CSI, The Wire, The Closer, and something called Treme (never heard of that last)