main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR release date for The Old Republic?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SaeseeJim, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    Has there been a release date announced yet? I just saw some trailers and looking at the pictures of the all the planets, and I can't freaking wait for it to come out.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    There is not a definite release date yet, the most information we have is either Q3 or Q4 release date. I imagine they might hold off till mid to late summer or the winter release to boost up sale stats.

3. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    I see, thanks. Definitely looking forward to it, I loved the KOTOR's and I'm sure I'll love this game too. I love games where you can explore. I wish it was coming out on the game stations too.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No later than November. I highly doubt they'll even wait until November too. I'm guessing the August-early October period.

5. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    According to http://www.torbb.com/swtor-news/9706-swtor-well-over-9000-a.html

The game will not be released before July. November seems like a very viable release date, as it's close to the holidays. Not to mention, while closed game testing has been underway for over a year, open beta hasn't begun yet; that is a 2 month process (in most cases) alone.

6. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I expect a release date announcement at E3 followed by open beta testing in August or September.

7. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    from the Fan Fridays story on TF.N this weekend, SWTOR will be at the following events thru the end of the year:

- Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, CA: June 7-9, 2011
    - San Diego Comic Con: July 21-24, 2011
    - Gamescom in Cologne, Germany: August 12-17, 2011
    - Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle Washington: August 26-28, 2011
    - Eurogamer Expo in London, England: September 22-25, 2011
    - New York Comic Con in New York, NY: October 13-16, 2011
    - Paris Games Week in Paris, France: October 2011
    - Dreamhack in Jönköping, Sweden: November 17-24, 2011

Well damn. That makes the release date no sooner than Nov 25 then, although I guess I could see them releasing the game during the Sweden event, but not likely.

IMHO, it would need to come out before Dec 1st in order to maximize Holiday 2011 sales. If it's not out by then, don't expect the release date to be this year. :(

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I expect the game to launch before Dreamhack. I can't see a Bioware hosted LAN party in TOR happening until after the game is launched.

If the game hasn't launched by then, it will tell me PVP is in a situation where it needs to be tested heavily. If that's the case it's pretty safe to say the game won't be released until Spring 2012.

9. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    They said they were aiming for Q2.

10. BasharGelion

BasharGelion Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2011
    From what I've played of the game, it's really close to done. Sure there are some bugs and some parts that need to get ironed out, but the dev team is really itching to release it. Remember, there are more forces at work with its launch than just the readiness of the game. Check out what Mos Eisley Radio has to say on the subject of release here.

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I think the TOR website will post something from E3 on June 6th. I bet it's a trailer with a release date.

12. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    I wish I had your optimism (as far as TOR goes).

13. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I should be a pessimist but I really am hopeful that a release date hits this year with E3. I'm probably going to be disappointed.

14. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I just hope I can get a better computer before its released.

15. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Although they haven't come out and stated a release date, every interview (about 4 or so)I've seen from E3 with Daniel Erickson (Lead Writer) he has said they are on track for a 2011 release....I'm thinking they are working hard, and are probably under a lot of pressure to get this on the shelves for Christmas....so I'm thinking mid to late November. this is not to say that it can't be delayed but I think all things being equal they want to get out the door before the close of the year.

16. Ferus-Olin

Ferus-Olin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2008
    I'd look for a Q4 2011 release. All signs show Blizzard loading up one of either Diablo III or Star Craft 2: Heart of the Swarm for early 2012. This game's going to sell great but it makes no sense business wise to complete with either of those.

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I kinda doubt that Bioware will release this in close proximity to Mass Effect 3, which makes sense if they're aiming for a Nov 2011, since ME3 is now in March; I would expect mid-January at the latest then a window gap until after ME3

18. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    ^...I agree completely....by releasing in November it gives them about 5-6 months to begin to establish a user base prior to the launch of ME3 as well mitigate any concerns that they are cannibalizing their own sales. My concern is that if we slip past November without a release I think it becomes more likely that we don't see this until May or June of 2012 for the same reason.

19. BasharGelion

BasharGelion Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2011
    During one of Darth Hater's interviews at E3, one peripheral developer accidentally let slip when they hope to release THEIR products, which might give us some hints as to when to expect the game.

I've been speculating on a co-release with either The Saga on blu-ray (Sept 16th), but I think more likely now would be a co-release with Clone Wars season 3 dvd/blu-ray (Oct 25th).

20. judis9198

judis9198 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2011
    Whenever it is, I hope it's soon.

21. Darth_FattyAss

Dec 10, 2002
    A couple buddies of mine are in the Beta and they are kicking around dates in October. They have no reason to substaniate the date but they all seem to say that game has the feel of a completed project. The bugs they are running into are VO not kicking in for an NPC or a companion falling through the world. These problems are happening infrequently and ones that I would expect to happen in a completed game. Right now it seems that they are testing alot of the Flashpoints...They are being asked to run flashpoints like "black Talon" mulitple times. After talking with them I am more confident than ever that we will see this game before year end.

22. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    I would definitely count on the end of the year- like November.

Now, we have a few inside sources, and sources point to the game being "mostly complete."

That said, some major issues noted were some of the later planets not playing correctly due to bugs- graphics, mechanics, etc. Hoth, for example, is littered with class-quest bugs. Balmorra is literally incomplete, with giant gaps in the terrain and NPC vendors just clumped together, with no dialog.

But, this is just the Beta- closed beta at that. One should not expect a complete and polished game at this stage. I would think it's reasonable to assume in 4 months, we will have our TOR. And it will be delicious.

23. CoolUsernameHere

CoolUsernameHere Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2011
    Aren't they doing the beta right now? That's a good sign.
    I'd like for it to come out this year. I've been hearing about this game for way too long, and I'm getting anxious.

24. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I fully expect the release date to be announced Thursday at SDCC. Looks like preorder info has started leaking, and that preorders will start being taken for the very awesome Collector's Edition Thursday or Friday of THIS WEEK.

25. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    The preorder info was the big announcement for SDCC. Not the actual release date. That will follow in the coming weeks though. If you follow the developer tracker, they've said REPEATEDLY, that pre order info will come first, then release date would be sometime after that, but soon. My guess is, this pre order stuff wasn't supposed to leak before the convention. I'd be shocked if we got a set in stone date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.