main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I've been so stressed the past weeks and didn't realize I missed so many posts - awesome scetches Mazzic! Thank you so much for sharing! It's fascinating how differently artists view Mara! Well not only artists, but us all, probably...[face_blush] Myself, I have a few different ideas of her in my head - all of them Mara - but with different characteristics emphasized. Maybe it sounds strange, but its not a problem in my head. So far, I haven't found a persoinification/ actress who could unite all of those characterisics...

As for the scetches - I clearly like those best that focus on her dynamics - not on her bust measure... But then, I'm a gal myself:p

JediMara:It's funny, because as much as I think Mara's death sucked and as many AUs as I write, I think I've come to terms with her death in canon. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not dying for more Mara books.

I definitely have it the same way. I've really tried to accept her death from the start - after all, a character death isn't like a person dying - characters live forever - that's the nature of storytelling; the very reason we tell stories about them is that they are alive! If you get my meaning...

And, I think that widowership (is that the right word?) has brought out the best in Luke.; moved him to a new phase of his life. [face_plain]

And then my Polyanna nature keeps me convinced that we'll still see some great Luke and Mara stories, not only in fanfic but in profic too.:)

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    How wise you are kataja!!!! =D= =D= =D= Your points are excellent.

I love grandparents L/M stories so much LOL and they've worked so hard I always felt it was their just due to be surrounded by grandlings they could -- buy puppies for [face_laugh]

And chase each other still! even in their supposed dotage [face_mischief]
    I can read character death in a greatly plotted fanfic if it makes sense and doesn't feel like a travesty or out of character. [face_thinking]
    I've read stunning fics where Luke dies heroically and even though it's sad as all get out it still fits his noble character, so i do believe that's what chapped me the most - besides the fact that Mara rocks LOL

But hey, if they wanna do her backstory and in-between stuff, I'll not complain as long as Tyers & Zahn and Stackpole do it.

:p

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I would love an L/M with Ben set in the missing years between the NJO and DNT. The main reason why I read the DNT was to see them interact and there was so little of that there :(.

Although the kind of story I would like is probably more suited for fanfiction than pro-fiction :p. The pros would probably have Ben be kidnapped by some bad guy :rolleyes:.

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Ben was already kidnapped at six months old. But then again, the Solo kids were kidnapped multiple times. :p

Less than three weeks until Choices of One comes out. [face_dancing]

5. haleyskywalker2

haleyskywalker2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 25, 2010
    I like Ben in the FOTJ series and the main reason I read those books is because of the interaction between Ben and Luke.
    I truly wish that Mara would of had more time to spend with her son and to see how great of a young man he is becoming.

I love to read stories like as Ben was growing up starting from like aroung 2years old and him growing up with his family instead of war...war....war....war....Kriffing wars..... and he would have to be sent to the maw with all the other Jedi.

I wish Mara and Luke could of grown old together and have thier love still growing and shinning so brightly in the force..

:D

6. kataja

May 4, 2007
    haleyskywalker2 - I like Ben in the FOTJ series and the main reason I read those books is because of the interaction between Ben and Luke.

Join the club!:D I love their interaction - and Luke not least!
    Hazel - My reason to read DN was Luke too - and Mara of course. (heck - my single reason to read any SW is Luke and Mara [face_blush])But those few scenes we got were pretty good. I love the one where Mara jokes that Luke's only trying to get her into his cabin again :D and adds maybe later. I still need to see (or write) a fanfic about that 'later' [face_devil] And the scene weher Luke swears and Ben promises him not to tell mum - if he gets some more sweets - is pretty sweet too.;)

7. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Yes, those scenes were delicious, Kataja, but they were all in the 1st book. In the other 2 Ben us mostly either with Jacen or doesn't show up at all.

Haley, your wishes for stories are the very essence of fanfiction so you're in the right place to get them ;).

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Luke and Ben are pretty much the ONLY reason I read FOTJ. Though there are some other alright things about the series. I enjoy Luke in his role as a single father. I've accepted Mara's death, she will live on in fanfic and profic, hopefully. But it does suck that we do not see them as grandparents together. My own grandparents are currently on the couch together across the room from me doing a puzzle. It would have been nice to see LM in the same role as HL in FOTJ.

I hope the new book will be between NJO and DNT. I've only read the first DNT book (and I was half asleep because I was on a red-eye flight) and it really sucked when it came to the LM stuff. I'm actually surprised Ben was only kidnaped once. Bantam authors LOVED to do that to the Solos.

9. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Briannakin - I'm actually surprised Ben was only kidnaped once. Bantam authors LOVED to do that to the Solos.

Mayvbe DelRay changed at least some things for the good?;) In general, Luke & Mara have come out much more fortunate as parents than poor Leia and Han.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Maybe DelRay actually realized we were sick of something and knew not to do it again.

I guess putting their kid in the Maw thwarted off potential kidnappers.

11. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    But it did make them all wacko!

12. haleyskywalker2

Sep 25, 2010
    Briannakin - I'm actually surprised Ben was only kidnaped once. Bantam authors LOVED to do that to the Solos

I think it was because of them putting Ben in the Maw, like Briannakin said, because the Yuuzhan vong was kidnapping humans and other creatures but It wasn't known that other people were kidnapping because mainly everyone was either dead or well dead. Also, who would go to the Maw to kidnap a child while there is possibly many Jedi protecting not just that child but all the other children... that kidnapper wouldn't stand a chance.. but you never know.

Briannakin-I hope the new book will be between NJO and DNT.

Are you talking about 'Choices of One?' Because that one is set between ANH and ESB, I believe.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, apparently Zahn is going to be pitching some new ideas to the headwigs for a new book and some of those idea include Mara.

CoO is a sequel to Alligance... which is still on my nightstand, halfway done. I'm going to finish it right after I finish SOTP and I read VOTF, before I finishes Alligance.

I wanted to read the New Republic Bantam stuff in order. I actually got as far as the first The Black Flee crisis book. Then I'm like 'this sucks', so I skipped to SOTP. I'll go back to read the in-between stuff eventually.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, apparently Zahn is going to be pitching some new ideas to the headwigs for a new book and some of those idea include Mara.

CoO is a sequel to Alligance... which is still on my nightstand, halfway done. I'm going to finish it right after I finish SOTP and I read VOTF.

I wanted to read the New Republic Bantam stuff in order. I actually got as far as the first The Black Flee crisis book. Then I'm like 'this sucks', so I skipped to SOTP. I'll go back to read the in-between stuff eventually.

15. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Man I miss the NR era so badly. I've been really wanting to re-read HttE but I'm waiting until the reissue comes out.

16. kataja

May 4, 2007
    JediMara77 - Man I miss the NR era so badly. I've been really wanting to re-read HttE but I'm waiting until the reissue comes out.

I miss it too! I'd really, really, really like to see some new stories from that era, featuring Luke and Mara. Preferably some where they both are shown as competent and well-functioning people but where we could also see the unreleased sexual tension between them. And maybe get some reasons to why it remains unreleased.;)

(I supposed we have to rely on fanfiction to see the tension released:p )

17. haleyskywalker2

Sep 25, 2010
    Kataja-(I supposed we have to rely on fanfiction to see the tension released :p ) .[/i

Exactly, but I do have to say the fanfiction writers on this website and more, write the best romantic fanfiction ever and it is probably better then most of the authors that write these star wars EU books.

Briannakin-No, apparently Zahn is going to be pitching some new ideas to the headwigs for a new book and some of those idea include Mara.

Oh, wow, I never knew anything about that. I also hope its between NJO and DNT because I would like to see how Ben is cooping from the Maw and getting back with his family and then just to see some family time after the war.

18. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I picked up the latest Star Wars Insider yesterday for the Zahn short story "Buyer's Market." It also had two articles about the Heir to the Empire reissue and Choices of One. Some snippets:

I would love to see a short story where Luke and Mara reminisce about old times and realize just how much they actually "worked" together when they were on opposite sides of the war. [face_laugh]

19. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Thank you for the snippets Nanci! Ok, I got even more thrilled for Choises now - if that's even possible! :p

And I wish so too! It could be pretty cool of they met with the Hand of Judgement guys and got sorted some thing out.:D Who knows, that might even be Zahn's plot idea for the later story...;)

20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    That's the very definition of destiny - even when they didn't work together, they worked together. :p

Thanks for the news, Nanci. [:D] :*

21. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I feel the same way! :D And I'm getting excited for "Crisis of Faith," which will be included in the new HttE reissue.

I'm really interested to knowing what happens to the HoJ after the Galactic Civil War. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them die in CoO, as they're really the only characters who CAN die. But I'm going to ask Zahn, in his opinion, what comes of them after the war.

And, knowing me, I'll probably get a fic idea after reading CoO. :p Less than two weeks!

22. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Yes, I definitely think there should be a reunion between the Hand of Judgement and Luke and Mara. :D But I have a sinking feeling the Hand of Judgment will be wiped out in Choices of One. That's why I'm a bit reluctant to read it.

23. kataja

May 4, 2007
    JediMara77And I'm getting excited for "Crisis of Faith," which will be included in the new HttE reissue.
    Hey, wasn't that about Thrawn? But of course I might get exited about it anyway...:p

I'm really interested to knowing what happens to the HoJ after the Galactic Civil War. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them die in CoO, as they're really the only characters who CAN die. But I'm going to ask Zahn, in his opinion, what comes of them after the war.
    Keep us updated, will you?! [face_batting]

And, knowing me, I'll probably get a fic idea after reading CoO.
    Oooh...:D

Tarsier - lets hope not!

Completely another matter - does anyone else have it like me that you can't see a redhaired actress wihtout making a quick scan of how she might be as Mara (doesn't even have to be redhaired, rellay)? I've noticed that the danish based criminal series "The Killing" has a no-nonsense strawberry blonde in the main part: Mireille Enos - and I've heard she's a very good actor. Sadly, I haven't seen the series myself. Has anyone seen it and would she have talent for Mara's role?

24. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    kataja: Yes, "Crisis of Faith" is about Thrawn. Zahn also said that Baron Fel will play a role. It's supposed to bridge the gap between CoO and HttE.

Tarsier: I can see one of the HoJ dying, but I can't see Zahn killing ALL of them. That's not his style, unless it's dictated by the plot, like in Outbound Flight (but even then, not everyone died). I can see them going into the Empire of the Hand and being the predecessors for the 501st stormtroopers we see in Survivor's Quest. We'll see, I guess!

kataja again: Yes, I do that a lot! I know nothing about that particular actress though, sorry! Somebody asked Zahn what he thought about Felicia Day playing Mara, and he actually said that she'd probably do a good job. I can see her doing it, but I can't help but see Mara as whatever model they used on the Japanese NJO covers. :p

25. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I agree it wouldn' be Zahn's style to kill off his characters. One maybe - but not all of them, not even most of them, really.

Felicia Day was great with that lightsaber stunt and I really like her - but she strikes me as too "friendly looking" for Mara. But as I said, I can't think of one single actress who'd get all the aspects right - and in the end it would be all about the acting making up for whatever might lack at first impressions. And those japanese models haunt me too. :p My reason keeps telling me that a spy shouldn't be that striking. If anything she should share Michelle Pfeiffers ability to be knockout and anonymous.

IF there ever was a casting for Mara, it would make the search for Scarlett O'Hara pale in comparision.:p

At elast everytime I've tried to photoshop a cover for my stories I've found out that I need a new face for each of them. I guess that's because I focus on a different aspects of her and since I see no one perfect for the part I keep changing her face in my mind too...o_O

Oh, found this on youtube: Enos is less glamorous (and paler colored) than I often imagine Mara but she has 'punch' and integrity. And I though the cut from The Killing pretty awesome.