main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Of The Sith Score Discussion **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Drac39, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYIjPage71

NYIjPage71 Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    Can anyone tell me what is going on in the movie while track 12 (the immolation scene) is playing? I thought it was played while the jedi were being executed, but today I found out that's track 4 (Anakin's Betrayal). Any help would be appreciated.

2. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    It starts just after Anakin has his limbs taken care of, carries on right through the burning, and ends when Obi-Wan puts his hand on his forehead as he flies away on the Naboo Skiff.

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Immolation means to be consumed by fire, i.e. Anakin burning on Mustafar after Obi-Wan has defeated him.

4. NYIjPage71

NYIjPage71 Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    Main Entry: im·mo·late
    Pronunciation: 'i-m&-"lAt
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
    Etymology: Latin immolatus, past participle of immolare, from in- + mola spelt grits; from the custom of sprinkling victims with sacrificial meal; akin to Latin molere to grind -- more at MEAL
    1 : to offer in sacrifice; especially : to kill as a sacrificial victim
    2 : to kill or destroy often by fire

That was the part that made me think that it meant the jedi being sacrificed. My dictionary I have at home didn't tell me about the fire part. Thanks for all your help.

5. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    That's my favorite track. Grievous' Theme owns.

6. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The second half of that track is also awesome. It scores the scene where Obi-Wan stows away on Padmé's ship as she goes to Mustafar.

7. --Darth_Ganondorf--

Aug 25, 2003
    The early reactions to the Hyperspace preview were great, too. "That's awfully dramatic for just landing somewhere... I'd love to hear what the action music sounds like."

8. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Hmm. It is strange that a chorus sings for simply the Arrival of General Grievous. Anyone know what the lyrics mean?

9. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    "This guy is bad! Real, real bad! He gets killed... by a blaster!"

No kidding. It even fits the beat.;)

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    THANK YOU! I just could never remember what the hell the other half is. I also thought it would be a scene following Grievous' talk with Sidious. I know, how silly of me.

Now I am complete.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I love Anakin's dream. When I watch that scene where Anakin and Padmé are talking about the dream and hear this sweeping, powerful and dark melody, I get exactly the kind of feeling that I always wanted ROTS to have. In a way, this film has the same musical language as TPM, only much more adult and darker.
    Battle of the Heroes also gives me that perfect feeling. John Williams really exceeded my expectations with this score!

It's veeeeery good
    /LM

12. KAOS_SKYWALKER

KAOS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    My favorite ones are 1.battle of the heroes 2. Anakins Betrayal 3.Anakin VS Obi-Wan 4.the funeral half of Padmes destiny

13. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    The second half of that track is also awesome. It scores the scene where Obi-Wan stows away on Padmé's ship as she goes to Mustafar.

That seven note melody that plays twice during the second half is so haunting and yet has an odd sense of resolution to it.

14. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Hey the other day I took a look at my OT Annotated Screenplays book and noticed that the first line of the script, after 'A long time ago[...]' is 'War drums echo through the heavens as a rollup slowly crawls into infinity.'

The fact that we got actual war drums is quite a nice tribute to what Lucas originally probably had in mind before he was blown away by JW's score. But since it was more likely the work of Lord Burtt that cosy feeling does not hold. Anyway the drums didn't bother me, I think they made the opening shot of the lone Star Destroyer rather eerie.

15. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Thank you for at least attributing those drums to Ben Burtt. It seems no one else will.

16. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I definitely like the drums and Force theme segue in the film better than the CD track.

17. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Did anyone notice that the drums undertone the Force theme that plays at the begining?

18. --Darth_Ganondorf--

Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah, but it took me a few viewings to catch it. In fact, I love all of the drum additions in the film, my favorite being the additions to Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

19. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Really? I attributed them to Burtt because I thought I'd seen that idea suggested in earlier pages of this thread and it seemed to make sense. Perhaps it was you, Cerrabore.

I have to agree with General Kenobi in that I would choose the drums-->force theme over the CD (for use in the film, I mean) mainly because I have seen it in the film that way and because the segue on the CD sounds as if we are meant to pan down directly from the crawl to an action-packed shot of 'War!' but instead we get a rather quieter lone Star Destroyer and then the Jedi fighters passing by builds up to the big reveal of the OSB. Similarly the Force theme builds up to the rather frenetic action cues.
    This is the only time that a SW film has effectively started with the Force theme. It's as if the film is more businesslike than the others.

In both the TPM and AOTC single CD soundtracks the post-crawl music is different to what we get in the films, but the initial segue remains the same. Here that is not the case, and I can only imagine that it is the doing of an editor.

20. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Yeah, but I really don't like it during Anakin's arrival on Mustafar, and Yoda and Sidious rising on the Senate pod (It takes away from the BotH chorus).

EDIT: I don't like the drum additions to Sidious declaring the Empire, same reason as the Yoda Sidious duel.

21. --Darth_Ganondorf--

Aug 25, 2003
    I actually liked the drums when the Chancellor's pod rose the most. Gave the entire shot more of an epic feel to it.

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    The drums in "Enter Lord Vader" and "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" felt like an insult. "Look, viewer! These are EPIC scenes! Hear the big, booming drums? BOOM!" I'm glad they were thrown into released material, not music that may someday only be available through DVD-ripping. That way, I can listen to the original compositions of John Williams on my RotS CD, rather than the involuntary Williams-Burtt collaboration heard in the film.

In both the TPM and AOTC single CD soundtracks the post-crawl music is different to what we get in the films, but the initial segue remains the same. Here that is not the case, and I can only imagine that it is the doing of an editor.

If not at the beginning of the film, where goes the post-title crawl music on the CD? And don't mention the clonetrooper attack on Utapau; that's a proven case of tracking. Besides, this music is in the same key as "Main Title" and the following cue ("Boys into Battle"), the timing matches, and it segues rather well, in my opinion.

23. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    i just love Anakin's Betrayal, when it gets around 1:09-1:20(which plays during Plo Koons death) for some reason it sounds like something out of Final Fantasy.

just my thoughts:)

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Couple questions on some ROTS tracks (as I'm arranging a playlist with the various SW soundtracks in order), apologies if this has been asked before:

-What scenes does the "Grievous and the Droids" track play over? "General Grievous" seems to cover at least the Boga/duel scenes, so am I correct in assuming this is the "Boga vs bike to blaster" scenes? or is it from aboard the invisible Hand earlier in the film?

-What scenes does "Palpatine's Teachings" occur during? It's subdued enough to be difficult to distinguish but my initial inclination is towards the scene where Palpatine reveals he's a Sith Lord to Anakin, bu the end "off to coruscant" fanfare occured during Kenobi docking with the Tantive IV, which suggests the cue occurs a little later in the film, though it's obviously possible it's just a case of two tracks being edited together.

25. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    "Grievous and the Droids," though mostly cut from the film, was meant to underscore the battle with Grievous on the Invisible Hand, from Artoo's bungled rescue to Anakin taking the controls of the ship.

"Palpatine's Teachings" is spliced together from three cues: "Palpatine's TV Set" (during the water ballet scene), "Palpatine's Seduction" (where he reveals he is a Sith Lord), and "Council Meeting," running from Anakin's anger at the Council to the Republic army landing pad scene (this music was cut from the film and replaced by the Emperor's theme).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.