main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rewriting the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by swrescripted, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Shmi hooking up with some random guy is more interesting than the Force doing it?

( and I think if Watto was Anakin's father then Anakin would look a lot weirder )

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    well not a "total random guy"

but some mysterious traveller of some kind,

something with a bit of mystery,

not "one day I woke up and guess what I was preggers Qui-Gon, want some tea and a scone?"

3. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000

I stand by my original position.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think it's better to simply reveal Anakin's birth is Plagueis' work.

Shouldn't Anakin's last name to be Damask then?

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why is it so important that Anakin be a creation of Darth Plagueis? Is it some kind of confirmation that he was destined for evil in the minds of many?

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Because it would be very ironic.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, we just like the idea. It would not be any kind of predestination to evil, any more than it is under the theory that Anakin was created by the Force, because in either case the end result is the same.

8. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    that's better.....

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    lol. Is somebody in need of some attention?

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  10. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Take it how you want, i'm just saying, that's all I got from your post. ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Anakin just being a powerful Jedi Hero who betrayed the Jedi and turned to the Darkside was much better than that Evil virgin birth BS.

only one kenobi and Unchosen One like this.
  12. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I would have preferred if Anakin actually fell to the Dark Side. I was convinced he was a dark sider by the end of AotC, becoming Vader was just a formality.

13. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Lmao.......just no.

The Jedi robes became official the minute they based Yoda's attire off of Obi-Wan, the PT simply followed what the OT already set.

Andy Wylde and ezekiel22x like this.
  14. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    So why didn't Luke where them to the Death Star then, especially when he is trying to convince Darth Vader and the Emperor that he is a Jedi?

Not that he needed the robes, but if it was the proper Jedi attire, don't you think he should've been "flying his colors?"

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Luke is a new generation of Jedi -- he rejects many of the precepts of the Jedi of Old, such as the notion that "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" or that the dark side will consume you. He has faith in his father and believes that he can be returned to the light. But there's more to it than that -- Luke's clothing symbolizes the potential for his own fall and how closely he is treading to the Dark Side himself. Also Yoda himself says, his final task is to confront Vader before he is a Jedi. And although Luke doesn't end up killing his father, he does confront him and defeat him (in his own way). The clothes represent that battle that must take place before Luke can carry on the mantle of Jedi Knights.

Andy Wylde and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  16. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    (sarcastically) sure.

17. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    To each their own I guess.

I always thought the progression of Luke's clothing was well-done. In ANH, he wears white while in ESB it's gray and then by ROTJ black. In each case, he's lost a little of his innocence and must come closer and closer to confronting the darkness itself. It's hardly the first time that Lucas has used clothing symbolically (such as Leia's white dress in ANH or any of Padmé's outfits in AOTC).

Plus, I don't see why Luke would necessarily adhere to all of the Old Jedi's practices when he does not hold to all of their ideologies (especially concerning his father). He's forging his own path, and the clothes are representative of that, to a large extent.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But if your a Jedi on combat mission to board the enemy flagship and rescue the head of Government, why wear bathrobes ?

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  19. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Perhaps because they aren't bathrobes? They are kimono-style clothes with an outer cloaks that can easily be removed when they engage in combat (and which is similar to the cloak that Luke wears early in ROTJ to boot). But the robes of the Jedi look cheap, comfortable, easy to clean, adaptable to many envronments, and layered. I don't see an issue, personally.

20. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    No, he is 100% right. Luke wears black, because it shows how close to the edge of darkness he truly is and how he is step from becoming Vader. I remember a comment Mark made about Luke's ROTJ attire looked like Vader and Lucas responded by saying that the point.

TOASTEROVEN and Andy Wylde like this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    They are on a COMBAT MISSION, they are in fighter with strictly confined spaces and then on the enemy flagship trying to rescue the Head of Govt, where both Dooku and Grevious are, and where they would have to remove them anyway when fighting them. Speed and suppleness in these situations is of the essence.

If you must have the robes leave them for meditation and Yoda time (sitting talking about the darkside we are) rather than on a combat mission.

Using your own comparison with Kiminos and Samurai, well Samurai had Armour and wore different clothing when going into combat, why not the Jedi

22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm not quite seeing what the problem is. It's not as though the cloaks are difficult or time-consuming to remove. Plus, Luke himself wears a cloak in ROTJ. The first time we see him in that film, he's wearing a cloak and when he's dropped in the Rancour pit, he quickly tosses it aside, as the Jedi of the PT do.

Plus, we've never been shown that cloaks are much of hindrance in combat anyway. Think of Vader and his cape, for instance.

Additionally, the cloaks offer protection from the elements, as we see with Obi-Wan on Kamino. Or they can be utilized for concealment -- Luke does this early in ROTJ as Anakin does in ROTS, for example.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You weaken your own arguments by totally uncalled for personal attacks on folks like GL ("knucklehead" is actually one of the milder names used against GL). You can make your point (or try) without resorting to name-calling. Can't you?

Andy Wylde and PiettsHat like this.
  24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Even as a kid seeing ROTJ in the theaters I understood this. One of the first images we saw (maybe a McQuarrie painting of the skiff) had Luke dressed in black and all of my Star Wars buddies and I knew it was a sign of him turning.

TOASTEROVEN and Andy Wylde like this.
  25. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    yes, I understood it. My sarcastic comment referred to "Jedi robes"
    I don't think Jedi should dress in bathrobes.