main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RoTS Finally on Terrestrial TV?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Keep in mind good sir that most of the OT dialogue was written by GL as he edited the scripts that were handed to him to suit his vision. :p And if GL's talents are good enough for the late, great Alec Guiness then they are good enough for me. [face_laugh]

Did anyone else notice the lack of advertising for ROTS after AOTC? The voice over the credits (always winds me up when the ruin John Williams' score like that.[face_frustrated] ) only mentioned Harry Hill and the X Factor and there were no trailers for the terrestial premiere. Are they trying to slip this one under the radar?:confused:

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I wouldn't bother watching any movie on ITV. Why sit through adverts and inferior sound and picture quality when you can watch a movie in high definition with superior surround sound on DVD?

3. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    1) I'm a nerdy film fan who likes to keep a track of TV edits for fun. Sometimes it frustrates me to see something that was so great in the film be cut and sometimes I see the logic in removing certain scenes. It's not the most social way to spend a Saturday night but it's just my thing.

2) My copy of ROTS is starting to warp from overuse.[face_blush] That means that the disc is constantly jamming and the picture has become impaired.:_|

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I watched ROTS with my girlfriend last night (first time in 5.1 Surround. awesome) and got thinking about when it's going to be aired on ITV on saturday. I think it's safe to say this is the film that's going to suffer the most in terms of edit (so dark). Apart from the obivous immolation scene, my guess is that the scene where Anakin is slaughtering the Seperatists will be edited somewhat. Annoyingly, this scene is tied together musically with the Senate scenes, too. It's going to be a complete mess :(. It shouldn't be on this early.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I bet they don't show Dooku's head rolling across the floor, either.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Even better in 7.1 .

7. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Currently watching the TV edit. This must be the 'airline edition' because Count Dooku's head was airbrushed out and the thudding noise as his head rolls was removed, and I don't think ITV's editing powers are that good.[face_laugh] I'm even more intruiged now as to how Mace's death and the immolation scene is done in this version.[face_thinking]

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    ITV shouldn't be showing this film at this time and then making cuts at pivitol moments. What are they thinking of!:rolleyes:

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I just said that this isn't ITV's cut, this is the airline vesion. Airline cuts of films have to be sanitised for younger viewers and the cuts/re-writes are done by the same talents behind the real film.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well whatever cut it is, they should be showing it uncut at an appropriate time of around or after 8pm.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If they showed it after the watershed at 9pm you'd have it ending around midnight. Not ideal for younger audiences. So far it's not too bad. The commercial placement is more annoying than the editting. (That opinion might change as we get towards Order 66.)

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well I can't be doing with watching movies on ITV anyway, so I think I'll go and stick my ROTS DVD on. :D

13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Grievous' death was unaltered and you don't see Mace Windu's skeleton when he is being electrocuted by Palpatine. I must say that I have been impressed by how minor the edits are in this version so far.=D= But the trickiest bit is yet to come...

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So what happened with the immolation?

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Nearly everything got through uncut. They trimmed the operation sequence by two seconds but other than that it was the same as the theatrical release. Very weird given it's the most violent moment in the film, but then it is the pivotal sequence in Darth Vader's story so it couldn't be cut.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I was never particularly impressed by the operation scene in the first place, I felt it could've been done far better.
    Still, good to see most if the movie was unaltered.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, my main complaint was with the commercial placement. The editting didn't really bother me. Looks like we skip a week now filmwise. My TV listings for next Saturday show International Football in the 4pm time period for ITV1.

18. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    Really? I'm the complete opposite I thought it was very well done.

I caught the ITV showing just in time for the immolation. Anakin got set of fire, the first inititial shot of him reacting to it, then obi-wan walking away. The shots of his body being completely engulfed and close up of his burnt face screaming in pain was cut (but the scene of palpatine recovering his body was left untouched so we actually saw one close up of his burnt body.

The operation scene was edited slightly as mentioned. The shot of him throwing his arm at a droid operating was cut out but I'll admit the edit was quite decently handled. they slowled down the first overhead shot of him on the table.

But I'm in the G-fett camp: it shouldn't be on at 4.05pm (ARGH @ the news interval). I'm a strong believer in Film as an art for and therefore should never be censored. I almost never watch films on television.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Exactly. Die Hard 4.0 is a 12 and it was on at 9pm on Channel 4.

My issue with the Vader birth operation sequence is that I feel it isn't in depth enough. You see Anakin get mechanical legs attached and you see some robots work over him, but he still has clothed parts and there's very little sign of it being a proper "operation". I wanted to see tubes with fluids circulating around him and artificial organs bieng readied or placed into him. There aren't the sparks of fusing circuits or anyhing like that, it's far too "flat" for my liking
    The only good bit is the helmet going on, and even that annoys me as Anakin spends the whole time lying there with no breathing apparatus. If it's that easy for him to breathe air without a respirator then why have the helmet at all?

I'm still a believer in only hinting at Anakin & Vader being the same person, that way the ESB revelation isn't ruined before you get to it. Anakin should never have been "Vader" until he was in the suit, and it should've been suggested that Anakin died on Mustafar.

There are numerous things about the ending of ROTS that I don't like, but the birth of Vader scene could so easily have been more detailed.

20. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Don't forget that in ESB Vader is seen sitting in a chamber without his helmet on.
    Obviously a sealed chamber with a special atmosphere can sustain him, he just needs the helmet to wander round choaking ppl and killing small children.
    I mean even a toasted, legless sith needs a hobby.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    We only see Vader's head from the back in ESB, there's nothing to say the front part isn't still attached or that he has no tubes aiding his breathing or eating at the time.

He clearly alters the back part of the helmet at time since that is both the seal to keep the air in and a design part for the look of the helmet. I'm sure he can put longer or shorter side fin parts on if he wanted to.
    In ROTJ when the Emperor arrives I'm sure he had changed the back part to look different to how it was earlier in the film.
    Perhaps for him it is his version of a hair style :p

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    But that would mean the feeding/breathing tubes would be stuck underneath and dangling from his helmet. :p It's long been established in Star Wars lore that Vader can survive outside of his suit without aid in a pressurised enviroment. The operation room must have been pressurised in the same way as Vader's meditation chamber.[face_peace]

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I watched it on ITV HD which is better quality then the DVD, upscaled or not.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Have you not read the Visual Guides and other sources about Vader's suit?

The bottom studs at the corner of the triangle grill part can open outwards in order for tubes to go in and release liquid food or whatnot.
    You can see the tube ends in ROTJ when Luke takes Vader's helmet off, they are just retracted at that point.

I understand Vader's suit is airtight, that's why his breathing starts to go funny even if just his hand is chopped off since that causes air to be released out of the suit.

But his lungs don't actually work (they would be mostly artificial anyway), he can't breathe on his own so he needs a machine to do it for him. He had no machine in the operating room.

Just face it, Star Wars Continuity sucks :p

25. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    "I'm still a believer in only hinting at Anakin & Vader being the same person, that way the ESB revelation isn't ruined before you get to it. Anakin should never have been "Vader" until he was in the suit, and it should've been suggested that Anakin died on Mustafar. "

The bit about believing 'Anakin'(AKA: those not knowing he turned) should had died on Mustafar, I agree with you . But Anakin being vader pre-suit, I thought, was genius. Waiting for the prequels It never even occured to me he may be knighted before he dones the suit so I thought it was great and it makes sense, too, with the emperor being dissapointed with post-duel Vader.
    That's what I love so much about episode III; It has many aspects to it that suprised me (like the Midichlorian/Plagius story and Anakin 'selling his soul to the devil' to save the one he loved, and losing everything - my favourite element).

I don't think any fan anticipated the reasoning for Vader's turn to be so rich and shakespearian. It makes ROTJ a stronger film and single handedly makes vader a much more complex character. It's brilliant :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.