main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA SAFF's birthday calendar

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MsWinter, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Dragon here!

2. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Am a horse, same year as Adalia (1966).....fire horse, apparently they used to drown fire horses at birth. :)

And yeah, I know this Starfire.....I studied astrology for two years.

Unfortunately, until you know someone you can't know their history. I'm old.....done a lot. I don't let everyone know everything I've done, cos I don't like to blow my own horn. :D

3. MsWinter

Mar 10, 2005
    oh...and hi Suvlaco. Nice to see a new face. :D

are you AKA Vorlak or Garvor? :D

4. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Yay, someone else who's studied it. You don't know what a relief it is! lol I just realised that my earlier post sounds a bit weird. lol. Sorry, didnt mean for it to come out sounding so strange. I meant to say that I agreed with you :)

I usually don't tell people that I was studying it because a surprising number of people look at me weird and go, I don't believe in that crap, I'm nothing like a such-and-such whatever their sun is in... *sigh* I found myself saying a lot to people that there is more to them than just their sun, it's just a tiny part of who they are.

I love meeting new people and finding out about all the neato things that they've done :) An offhand remark by one person can lead to interesting discoveries on things that they may have in common :D

That's why I sometimes mention things out of the blue. It's fascinating to watch :D You don't always find out until someone breaks the ice. It may sound a bit weird on my part, but it's a useful way to find out more about people :D

5. MsWinter

Mar 10, 2005
    I understand completely, lots of the things I think about and believe in aren't mentioned because many others 'poo poo' them.....

I just don't say much 'cos quite frankly, I've found over the years that if you tell people stuff, they tend to think they know you inside out and that they have a right to tell others your life history!! Take it from an older girl, be careful what you say!! :D But that aside, yeah, it's interesting to watch peoples reactions, huh? :)

I studied astrology years ago...when I was in my early twenties - way back in the dim dark ages of the mid-80's. I'd love to go back and refresh and do some more, but at the moment, I have to get Uni done and do the thing I've always wanted to do....then I might take it up again. :D

Do you find that some people expect you to be able to describe everything on the spot and be able to work out what is going on in their chart right then and there?

6. TROOPER_WANNABE

TROOPER_WANNABE Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2005
    I think I was born in the year of the Bloated Goat

Probably explains why I like to drink alot too

Cheers

Hic [face_sick]

7. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    Nope, neither of them MsWinter, but good to meet you all :)

8. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    August 9th, 1979, LEO!!!!!!

9. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    Haha Me Got The Last Post until someone posts over me... me got the spot light now! :)

*jumps around* look at me look at me!!!! :)

10. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    *Looks at Quentin*

Why was it you were jumping around again?

:p

11. MsWinter

Mar 10, 2005
    ah....ladies and gentlemen....

the leo that I was talking about reveals himself....

now - if he begins to do a full monty routine, please, cover your eyes and back out of the room slowly.....

:D

12. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    The only problem I have with astrology is that people try to pass it off as a science, whereas it's about as far from a science as possible. Cause and effect or observation, inference and testing a hypothesis are not part of it. As far as I know anyway.

It's much a faith as Christianity, Islam, Paganism or whatever. As far as I can tell.

Note this is not me having a go at astrology, but more a general statement that I tend to make to ensure that misconceptions don't get made and to differentiate between a faith or belief rather than empiricly observable and testable phenomena.

Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong :)

13. MsWinter

Mar 10, 2005
    okay.....

see, it's like this.

there once was a religion called paganism. From it spawned a science called Astrology. It is a science because it is based in complex mathematical calculations, and hypothesises what could happen in ones life, depending upon where the planets lie within ones house. This is all worked out mathematically (Starfire might be able to help out here, it's been a long time for me to remember formulas and such).

So...it's a religion based in science. Much like Christianity is a religion based in oral history. How much is true is up to the individual to believe.

I like to believe that there's more to life than heaven and hell and that our destiny is not predetermined by some 'God' who watches over our every move and sits in judgement of those moves.

But hey, that's just me. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. We're all different and unique. That's what makes the world such a great and fascinating place.

:)

14. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    grits teeth...

Again, not dissing astrology for what it is, but I'll try to give an analogy or two.

1-A person walks past a tree at a certain time every day. The tree happens to sway when the person walks past. He thinks about this, and even though he doesn't really cause it to move, he makes a (quite logical, although most likely wrong) inference that he causes the tree to move. Without testing it (without him being there) he tells people that he causes the tree to move. They witness it and soon he has everyone believing that he caused the tree to move.

2-Many Leos have, well, typical Leo personalities (I should know ;) ). There are many things that could cause this: the way the magnetic field of the earth effects their heads during foetal development, the climate at that time of the year causing their parents to spend more raising them certain way. The specific radiation type that Solar throws our way at that time of year causing brain development that predisposes them to act in a typical Leo way. To test these and find out if they are right or wrong is scientific. To insinuate that the (beautiful and mathematically modelled) motion of the heavenly bodies influences us does rely on science to a certain degree, but by not testing it, by not finding out how the effect occurs, is not scientific. If it is not constantly and consistently tested and refined by following standard scientific method it cannot ever be considered a science.

fwiw, I love and follow many irrational things that make sense to me but could never be scientifically tested or explained. Why am I inherently drawn to Japanese culture, why do I like Star Wars, why do I like to teach kids (especially when I detest the a.m. and stupid questions!), why do I like electronic music over other types, none of these things can be tested, although I do have my own ideas why my make up is the way it is. I mention this because I don't go through life being a logical robot.

But I've got to honestly say that as a science, Astrology (or in fact every religion or faith) falls on its backside. It might be closely aligned to scientific ideas, but it isn't a testable science. But if it was, it'd be well boring and less mystical right? Kinda like that midichlorian crap ;)

Damn, I think this fever is taking hold, I'm talking jibberish. Tomorrow = off!

15. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I believe in me.
    I know i'm the only one I can rely on.

16. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I believe in you to evil but I do believe in astrology as well...

17. MsWinter

Mar 10, 2005
    as I said.....

each to his own.

I don't condone people for what they believe in...hell, I've been condoned enough for being a Star Wars freak.

we're all unique, and unique we shall stay.

besides, I'm older, so I can be stuck in my ways. So there.

:p

I don't believe in E-I..he's just a figure of his own imagination. :D

18. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    NNNOOOOOOOO !!!!!
    too much pressure if others believe in me.....
    believe in the easter bunny if you want, i'm not ready for followers.
    "i'm not the messiah, i'm a VERY naughty boy."

19. MsWinter

Mar 10, 2005
    so what you're actually saying, E-I is that you're the Easter Bunny?

:D

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    [image=http://www.thedarklordscouncil.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/worship.gif]

Oh great evil Bunny!!!!

21. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Make sure they're CHOCOLATE eggs....
    mmmmwaaahahahahaaaaaaa.......

22. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I know exactly what you mean, thanks for the advice MsWinter. Yeah, I do find that people think that I know it all and can do it on the spot. The main reason I took a break was because there was just too much to take in and I didn?t have the time to do it all at the time.

oz_skipp, I understand where you are coming from. You are welcome to your opinion, whatever that may be. Astrology was once called ?cultural astronomy? and it goes back many thousands of years, perhaps to the dawn of civilisation itself. I have heard it described as both an art and a science by my astrology teachers. That was the first time I had ever heard anyone call astrology a science. For me, I found astrology interesting because it seemed to be reflected in my world, and it was worth investigating further. It is a very intriguing topic to study with an open mind.

Mind you, some of the people who write newspaper horoscopes have a lot to answer for. Half of it is made up, or extremely generalised, which gives astrology in general a bad name.

It?s all very interesting, but the neat thing is that it doesn?t need anyone to believe in it, because if you do believe in it, then you can learn something interesting, and if you don?t, well, since you don?t care, then it doesn?t matter.

Life is filled with a bunch of interesting things :D including Star Wars... :) The world would be a very boring place if we all thought the same way.

23. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    I'll give you 30 seconds inside my mind.
    & then a life in a psych ward afterwards.
    I'm weally not a well boy......

24. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm glad I'm entitled to my opinion ;)

I just don't like astrology being called a science in the modern sense of what science is. If one looks at the history of science, many of the old 'natural philosophers' (ancient Greek for scientists) were so full of untestable crap it's not funny. But it all led to the development of modern philosophy and modern science. I'm not at all opposed to the history and cultural signficance of astrology. Call it a belief structure, a set of guiding principles, a religious set of ideals, a philosophical art based on science, or whatever...

...I just get disappointed or annoyed when it is discussed as a 'science'. Astronomy = science. Cosmology = artistic science. Astrology is not a 'modern testable science'. That doesn't mean I'm dissing it (did I just say dis!?!).

fwiw, I believe in many of the fundamental principles espoused by Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Muslims etc and I know that they are not testable sciences. What is right just seems to be. I think most people (except EI) get that.

Even Mickey Mouse came up with some great lines of widsom too...which reminds me, 10 points to the first person who knows which film Mickey Mouse was compared with an alien god.

25. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, i'm just amused that mankind has to put a name or label to everything in order to understand it or explain it.
    Somethings just ARE & thats the way they were meant to be.
    I understand the mentality behind the philosophy of the "Force". But I also believe that it has more uses than just the good side.
    Same as all other religions or sciences.
    Not wise to follow blindly or for false reasons.
    Acceptance is the key to enlightenment.
    Accepting that all is not necesarily equal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.