main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG School Starts Now!! What do u think??

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by lukedecop, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I guess the Navy Blue pinafore isn't quite as bad as some of the other uniforms out there, but pinafores in general aren't very practical, if you ask me. I remember how inconvenient it was on days when we had PE, and we had to wear our T-shirt and shorts underneath. And if it just so happened to be a really hot day in mid-July, then it would feel really hot and uncomfortable.

At least the prefects get to wear a Navy Blue skirt and White blouse, but of course the down side of the prefect uniform is having to wear the tie all day everyday! :p

I always wished we could have had the kinds of uniforms that were allowed at UWC and SAS.

In the case of SAS, the girls have a choice between long pants, bermudas, and skirts, as long as they are all in Navy Blue. And they could wear a white shirt, polo top, or T-shirt.

For UWC, they had pale greyish blouses with light blue and grey pin stripes, and they could only wear that particular kind of school blouse. For the girls, they had a choice of long pants, bermudas or skirts, but all in grey colour.

Most of the private schools are like that, at the most they have a school blouse, then they can pretty much choose what they want to wear from the waist down, as long as it is similar to the colour dictated by the school, so they end up having more of a dress code rather than strictly having a school uniform like the way it is in other Singaporean schools.

Actually my favourite part of the RGS uniform is the blouse, because of the way we wear it, with the end of each sleeve folded.
    I think it makes the plain white blouse look smarter under the pinafore when we wear it that way :)

However, Navy Blue does seem to be a rather "serious looking" colour, and I actually prefer the lighter blue colour similar to the ones that the CHIJ girls use.

Just one question though, is it just my imagination, or do guys just seem to have more of a reaction whenever a CHIJ gal in a lighter blue pinafore walks by??

Hey, I don't mean to imply anything here, or to offend anyone, just an observation on my part from eons ago when I was still in Sec School... not sure I ever understood the reason for the reaction, that's all.

Hmmm.....

BTW, JediClare, does RGS still have that one day a year when you are allowed to wear whatever you want to wear to school?? I still remember what I chose to wear on my one-day-a-year... a skate shirt, a pair of bermudas, and my trusty skateboard in hand as an accessory/weapon/personal on-campus mode of transportation, whichever is the greater need at the time - lol! :)

2. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002

if i can remember correctly, Nan Hua Sec girls's skirts were translucent.... =X

(dun ask how i noe =X)

ANYWAY i'm glad sch's open, meet new ppl(i screwed my 3 core modules, retaking those 3 in a new class plus 2 yr2 ones lol)

and means lesser time for work, i was goin nuts working 6 days a week at delifrance, and as if the french music wasnt enuf...

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ya, it'll be great if we got the choice of which type of clothes we can wear to school. I'll love to wear pants to school intead of the pinafoar. :p

This will also solve the current debates about those Muslin gals who want to wear tudung to school. Back at YJC during my 2nd year, we try to press for Muslim Students to be allowed to wear a modified version of the uniform or tudung if they want after getting to know SRJC had officially allowed it (they had allowed if for many years before but it was a hush hush). But well, guess the Principal wasn't daring enough. [face_plain]

4. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    SUch topics are sensitive and controversial. If the government are to give every races equal privileges, there would not be unfairness. Ya easier said than done. However the government had already set a precedence by allowing the wearing of turbans. Thus the muslims might use this to argue the wearing of tudung to school. With due respect to Muslims reading this post, I hope those parents(muslims) who insisted thetudung to be part of the uniform to justify their reasons sensibly, before making a fool of themselves.

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    IMHO, this tudung should only be approved for JC level (due to the age of the students and the occasional influx of students from Madrasha) and for certain selected JCs only (YJC, SRJC, TPJC?). :p . Ya, it's a bit sensative and it should be approached with cautions; that means done in stages or slowly. ;)

The issue about those parents who made their kids wear them to Primary school was way too much. Especially at this time after the horror of the Sept 11th event. The ministry is correct in saying they are trying to imply a sense of equality in the young students through the use of the same school uniforms. But, at JC level, since the students are more independent, more flexibility should be given although not to all JCs.

And from some info I heard, the girl from Eunos Primary did have an approval from the school Principal to wear that way but all because of that Zulfikar fellow publizing the issue, she can't do it anymore. Poor kid. :(

Well, let drop this Tudung issue for the now, okay? :)

6. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    One final word, ya i agree with u. It's only logical to argue that when u are in secondary sch level onwards due to puberty so on. Thank goodness this issue is over.

7. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    JediJean - Although some school uniforms seem to make a girl look prettier, I actually look at the girl herself and not the uniform... :D 8-}

8. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    JediJean, I am one of those stubborn ones who refuse to fold up the blouse sleeves. ;) I don't like short sleeves (I find 'em uncomfortable), so I don't fold them up even when friends insist I do. :D

I don't think RGS has the 'own-choice-of-clothes day' anymore (unless I missed it completely last year :p), but we do have Racial Harmony Day, and we're allowed to come in 'ethnic costumes', but last year we just wore whatever we wanted. :D

Okay, if you didn't understand what delta7_interceptor was talking about -- the Sec Ones this year have a different pinafore colour (imagine our -- the newly-promoted seniors' ;) -- reactions when we saw it). It's more of a purplish-blue than a navy blue. Drop by some day to have a good look, then (maybe) you'll understand why we're so 'grossed out' by it. ;)

The cullottes (sp?) are better as in more practical, IMHO. There isn't so much material to 'look after', it's easier to sit down in without the rest of the 'skirt' getting all wrinkled or hanging off the edge of the chair.

[rant]

Saying that the pinafore is impractical is a severe understatement. There are six pleats, three on the front, three on the back, so you've to 'look after' them all, otherwise you end up looking extremely sloppy. However, running around (like trying to hand up a late piece of work before the end-of-recess bell rings) does not help to maintain the neatness of the pleats. Even just by walking messes it all up. Then when it's messed up, it tends to sort of flair out, and it makes you look like a navy-coloured pear.

Then there's the belt. Too tight, too high and you look like some kind of 'guai kia' or a nerd, too low and too loose and you run the risk of being booked by the prefects or the teachers. And when you sit down, the belt sort of follows the 'waist' of the pinafore, so it ends up being somewhere around the bottom of your ribcage. Not exactly what I'd call comfortable.

The 'sleeves' of the pinafore (the parts that hang on the shoulders, like a bigger version of a singlet's. I don't know what's the exact name) sometimes slip down off your shoulders, so that it ends up at the side of the shoulder instead of on top where it belongs. Also, when your wallet is in the pocket, it weighs the right-hand side down, and it worsens the slipping problem even more.

[/rant]

Sometimes I envy the guys. :(

Still, I have to say that one of the main reasons RGS came before NYGH in my list of Sec school choices in Primary 6 was because of the uniform. White?! Sleeveless?! ::shudder:: (no offence to any NYGH people here, or any of its supporters :p)

9. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Oh man, JediClare!!
    Now I have 2 school visits to make - one to my old Poly, and one to my old Sec School - lol! :p

Well, OK, OK, I promise that I'll get around to all that visiting real soon, and re-visit my past just ONE MORE TIME before I zoom ahead into the future with all the job-hunting that I'm doing right now :)

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL JediClare! You just reminded me how long I took to iron my Pinafore back then and the no. of cans of Starch Spray I used up within a month (I also got my NCC (Air Uniform to iron weekly :p ). Heehee, I never counted the no. of pleats on mine but I know I took quite some time to iron it as I have to iron both sides to get those pleats well pleated.

Maybe if they had done our Pinafore using 100% Polyester, we wouldn't need to do much ironing cause it hold pleats very well (my skirt still got its pleats after wearing it for several times and anyhow sit in them ;) ) but then, there's the problem of the thing not absorbing any sweat and being very stiff. :(

11. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    LOL clare, remember Mrs Chin? all the starch and the blood stains remover? (she is our aesthetics teacher and IMHO a leetle senile... :D)

weeeelllll, clare, pot calling the kettle black... ur belt is soooooo high up. I myself confess to be one of the pai kias. :D the prefects dun reeli care unless its like reeli falling off ur waist or smt, most of the time they leave us alone except during spot checks :p

The blouse is fine, but when we are standing during assembly and it is a hot and humid dae and the people are taking forever to make their announcements, it is veri irritating to have the blouse stick to u coz of sweat. BTW, wadeva happened to Mrs Prama's 3 coupons a dae thingy. she saed onli 3 xtra announcements to be made a dae but if im not wrong, they had 5 or 6 announcements todae... hnmmmmm....

12. L0rd-NyaX

L0rd-NyaX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Our RI uniform sux too what... All white.. It gets so dirty easily... especially the end of the long pants.. Wish we could just wear berms or three quarts.. At least it doesnt look ghey if you wear it in some manner..
    And the school is so particular about hair.. I keep getting warned for spikey hair.. *sigh*.. luckily the prefects always give chance and let me off cos i dun spike it in school.. I'd just say that its grass..

13. bobafett81

bobafett81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    VJC's uniform have a 'dirty' look... it's neither white nor as yellow as Hwa Chong...

It's in between...

14. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Actually, among the JCs, I think SAJC has the best uniform for the girls, or at least it looked the best to me at the time when I was there, 'cos we used to wear these skirts that looked a bit like mini-skirts, they were quite short and they didn't look like the bottom half of a pinafore. Also, everyone in school wore a tie with a tie-pin and the tie looked rather nice too. But then again, maybe I'm just biased 'cos I wore that uniform for about 2 years?!?? haha! :)

After I left though, I believe the skirt was changed and the tie was changed, so the SAJC uniform doesn't look that great anymore. Why, oh why, did they have to go fix something that wasn't broken?? :( Oh wait, probably because the girls were wearing their skirts too short and it looked like they might be wearing tennis skirts instead of a school uniform :D But the tie, why did they have to change the tie?? I thought the tie looked great as it was, now it just looks like it's got too many stripes running through it...

Actually, I can't remember what some of the JC uniforms look like anymore. But among the ones that I remember, I think that ACJC and VJC also had nice uniforms for the girls. The navy blue collar for the ACJC uniform makes it look smart, and I love the colours used in the VJC uniform and belt. The TPJC uniform is also not bad, it has a nice cool colour, pale green, but I can't seem to remember much about their girls' uniform... I only remember that the pale green looked great on tanned TPJC guys - haha! :p [face_blush]

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Let me see, YJC Gals always get mistaken for Cold Storage Staffs at Northpoint while my friend (from YJ) keep calling our Sec. School guy friend who was in CJC as wearing Pyjamas. And sometimes I mistaken Jurong Institute Students for NJC students although I go pass NJC every time I went to and fro school. :p And Outram Institude got a very KK Hospital inspired uniform code: Pink Shirt for gal and Light Blue for boys. Now what color is Pioneer JC uniform?

For Nanyang Girls, no offence to them but since Sec. School, I got this mind set of them and CHS boys being very Chinese and not mix well with non-Chinese School students; all thanks to the Prefects from my class. The girls before this year also seems to have the same hair style but I understand the ban had been lifted recently (now I see a more variety of hair). Their Blazer also seems "interesting", Yellow Chinese Shirt compared with SCGS which is a vest. :eek: But I think I like RGS Prefect Vest the most. ;)

Heehee, if I had the money to waste, I'll love to do a coffee table book on the different school uniform we see in Singapore, from Primary to Tertiary. :p But who'll be interested in such stuffs? :D

16. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I was from NY, and I'm about as "anti-Chinese school culture" as you can get.... It's a bit strange, but my entire class was like that. Got myself a culture shock when I went to Hwa Chong, completely could not fit in, and went off to RJ instead.

(Yeah, a Nanyang girl getting culture shock in Hwa Chong.)

And your observations serve you well, Darth_Eagle. :) NY has abandoned the "hair must be no more than one inch below the earlobe" rule. Lucky them. But I still laugh whenever I see the NYGH socks. [face_shocked]

I see we have some Nanyang Primary people here.... White skirt, yeah, I know.

Pioneer JC? Did someone say? Well, they seem to have two different shirt colours, one white and the other a slate-grey. Bottoms are deep grey, almost black. The ladies have a choice of trousers or A-line skirts.

The best thing about the RJ uniform is that the skirt is not an A-line skirt. Flare skirts rule (except for the pleats, but that's fine if you don't have to do the ironing).

17. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, they seem to have two different shirt colours, one white and the other a slate-grey.Bottoms are deep grey, almost black. The ladies have a choice of trousers or A-line skirts.

Wow! :eek: Could that had been dear Mr. Kuek's doing? :D (Ps: Mr. Kuek the first Principal of Pioneer JC was the former Principal of my Sec School. He always got some "randical" but efficient ideas although a little bias toward NPCC. But we still like him ;) )

18. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    But I think I like RGS Prefect Vest the most.

erm? wad prefect vest? the jacket? i tink it looks a wee bit disgusting... the colour is nort exactly a veri nice green, ri's green is nicer... and it is veri hot, sometimes i pity the prefects for having to wear such hot stuff in spore...

19. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    How come I've never seen that prefect uniform before? Hmmm... ;)

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I thought it was sleeveless blue? :eek:

Then again, my memory of it was from 1986-1996. :p

21. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi everyone,

I'm just about finishing my first week at a new job in a new office, and it's been a heckuva hectic and demanding week for me... :(

There's been lots to learn and lots to do, and I'm still finding my way around my new work environment.

I love where my office is located, and the work atmosphere/company culture there is pretty amazing, and I love the fact that there's so much for me to learn there!

I have to admit that it's been really challenging and quite frustrating at times, but at the same time, I know that it's just part of the whole learning process, and that things will get easier as I get more accustomed to the job, and get to be more efficient and effective at work.

I've got to head to the office for perhaps another half-day tomorrow, then after that, I get to really enjoy and appreciate what's left of the weekend :)

And I'm sure some of you know that there's nothing like a good Sunday to get you all refreshed for the new week ahead - haha! ;)

:p Have a GREAT weekend!! :p

Lots of Cheer to Everyone,
    [face_love] JediJean [face_love]

22. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    Yippee!

Been enjoying my first week at NTU!

Finally, get to study at my own pace... and something I like and enjoy to study!

Hurray!

23. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    What are u studying? :)

24. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    Nanyang Business School - Business

25. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Interesting =). Personally, don't really like business, because of all the shrewd things going on under the counter, but as long as u like it - great~ :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.