main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Second 2003 Starfighter Draft

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Corran10584, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    No I wanted 2000.

well, Now we hit the team battles this I think I should win.

Gaeri's squadon is good and cohesive a bit more than mine but not quite as powerful. So we could split that, but where Gaeri's team has a weakness, is that it has no reall squadron leaders and Luke, Tycho and Gavin are all extremely adequte leaders. Lets not forget that besides Luke who has lead Rogue, Twin Suns, blackmoon squadrons everyone on my team has flown together. :) Also I think I get bonus points for having Lujayne because she brought the new Rogue squadron together and I think that she would bring my squadron together.

2. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Jeez, is this thing over yet? :p

3. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Not yet, Y-Wing, SuperVader had to win this round and postpone the inevitable?

So this may be moot, as far as this round is concerned, but I?m still going to weigh in. SuperVader did well this round, but I don?t think he can be that lucky twice. Though I bring back up my theory that SV sold his TF.N soul to some demonic power to end up with Luke/Tycho/Gavin?

The team battles are always important, and while I think SV does have an impressive top three, I think my squadron should take the team battle, this round and next round.

SuperVader is right, his team is strong on the leadership side. But that can be a weakness too; ever heard of too many cooks spoiling the broth? And he?s incorrect in assuming that my squad has no leadership; both Corran and Hobbie have led squadrons, Corran a leader among CorSec, Jedi, and even randomly assorted pirates, and Hobbie as a leader of the Rogues during the Bacta War. Hardly a lack of leadership going on; Corran and Hobbie got the goods, yo.

While Lujayne is a bonus to your overall team, I think that Rhysati fulfills a similar role on mine, and to an even greater extent. Rhysati was able to bring pilots that hated each other into a cohesive unit with the reformed Rogues. Nothing to scoff at.

All who have read books with space battles know that while one terrific pilot is nice, buthaving a strong wingman keeps you alive and scoring kills. I have Corran and Ooryl together, cower in fear! These are guys that are awesome together, and the fact that they are long time wingmates should play heavily into this team battle.

With this duo, I believe my squadron shows a lot more cohesiveness. Both of our teams are all Rogues. But of course, half the pilots available in the draft were Rogues; there was already an all-Rogue team dispatched from this competition (i.e. EU King?s team... or Wiggins? or? it gets confusing from here on out?) Simply having Rogues isn?t always enough. Whereas SuperVader has a semi-random assortment of Rogues from across the generations, I have six Rogues who have flown together. From my recollection, Luke?s never flown with any of the others on Tiger Squadron, and Tycho didn?t actively fly with the Rogues until after two members of Tiger Squadron were already dead.

To top that off, Erisi is a traitor. Can?t look past that. She?s not a team player and will not only not help, but hurt Tiger Squadron?s team cohesiveness.

All flown together + Corran & Ooryl = shaking in your boots, SuperVader! ;)

And as my last random fact, two of SuperVader?s pilots are toast (Lujayne and Erisi), and I?ve only lost one (Peskh). Intruder Squadron = lower mortality rate.

Okay, I think I'm just rambling now... but my points make sense... every so often... yeah? :D

4. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    The Match-Up: Intruder Squadron vs. Tiger Squadron

Very tough match-up between two high ranking teams. Tiger Squadron did the seemingly impossible and became the first GM to score a victory against Intruder Squadron, but does he have enough to do it twice in a row? That remains to be seen. Tiger's top 3 is very impressive, but the back 3 leaves a little to be desired, the weakest link being Erisi, the Imperial spy. Intruder brings the high ranking, long standing duo of Corran/Ooryl, with the incredible skill and sarcasm of Hobbie to boot, so as you can see their top 3 isn't lacking in the least.

Tiger's top 3 consists of 3 powerful pilots who've held the distinction of the "Rogue Leader" call sign over the years. Their skill is relatively unmatched, proven by how far they've come in the competitions. However, despite what SV claims, Intruder Squadron is not without leadership of their own. Both Corran and Hobbie are proven squadron leaders. Corran showed the majority of his leadership skills in I, Jedi, when he took a seemingly no-talent group, trained them up, and turned them into a force to be reckoned with; kind of like Coach Fox and the Carolina Panthers ;). Hobbie has loads of experience, both as a combat pilot and a training instructor. It really shows talent if you are able to successfully pass what you know to other pilots and for it to keep them alive.

Looking at the bottom 3 of each team begins to spread things out a bit. On Intruder Squadron, you have Tal'dira, who has experience and skill, Rhysati, who gets very underrated in these competitions and is in fact very good, and Peshk, who is... well, Peshk; not overly good, but at the same time, not overly bad. Over on Tiger squadron, you have Erisi, a skilled pilot, who both helps and hurts this team overall, Lujayne, a good pilot but we sadly didn't get to see much of her, and Riv not the best of the new Rogues, but still pretty good.

Now, picking a winner slaps me with a bit of a perdicament. Different things have to be weighed to pick the most qualified team as the winner. Both of these teams have their obvious strengths, as well as their weaknesses. As stated earlier, the biggest weakness for Tiger Squadron is Erisi. The biggest weakness for Intruder Squadron is Peshk, since we know that Bothans aren't the most loyal specied in the galaxy. However, IMO, Peshk doesn't hurt as much, since he was still a faithful member of Rogue Squadron until the end.

One of the most obvious strengths that has lead both teams this far is the fact that they consist entirely of Rogues. But when both of the Rogue-filled Squadrons face off head-to-head, how do you decide who wins? Two factors play heavy in my mind as I make my decision. The first is the fact that Intruder Squadron's Rogues are all from generally the same era, and most of them have experience flying together. On Tiger's side, Luke had pretty much given up on the military before some of the other's had ever put on a flight suit. Because of this, I believe that Intruder Squadron would fly stronger together that Tiger Squadron would. The other factor that lays heavy in my mind is the wild card that Intruder Squadron holds: Rhysati. To contradict SV a little, is was Rhysati, not Lujayne, who brought the new Rogues together. Lujayne did help bring Corran into the fold, and does hold a few bonus points with Gavin, but Rhysati proves to be the difference maker here, in my eye. Rhysati proved to be instrumental in Gaeri's championship run last time, and with the dynamic duo of Corran and Ooryl, Rhysati again proves an added bonus for this squad, and nudge's Intruder squadron into the

5. SuperVader

Sep 23, 2002
    Arghh, all of my pilots have all flown together with the exception of Luke who has only flown with Tycho and Gavin but he flys good with anyone as he is one of the easiest guys to get along with.

I have to reread Rogue sqaudron because i seem to recall lujayne bringing together them. Could be wrong though. Totally forgot that Gavin Lujayne relationship and Gavin and Riv were wingmates. :)

Totally forgot that Corran led that one group. And hobbie sort of lead the fake rogues for a bit but i alwasy say him more as an instructor.

ohh well I knew I wouldn't get the vote from Corran who just never seems to vote for me except in the obvious ones. :p

6. Corran10584

Oct 8, 2002
    Yeah, I just don't like you :p

~Corran

7. SuperVader

Sep 23, 2002
    *Bump*

I would just like to note that my new icon is the icon on the JC that most closely resembles my appearance in fact in a couple weeks my hair will probably match that length.

Come on judges.

8. Corran10584

Oct 8, 2002
    ATTENTION!! ATTENTION!!

OBIX1 and A-WingsRule! Please report to the judging booths immediately. You're votes are needed NOW!.

That is all.

:p

~Corran

9. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002

Intruder Squadron - Featuring: Peshk Vri?Syk, Corran Horn, Tal?dira, Derek ?Hobbie? Klivian, Ooryl Qrygg, and Rhysati Ynr
    vs.
    Tiger Squadron - Featuring: Erisi Dlarit, Tycho Celchu, Riv Shiel, Luke Skywalker, Lujayne Forge, and Gavin Darklighter

Alright.

Here we go.

Lock S-Foils in attack position.

Corran = Tycho
    Klivian + Tal'dira = Skywalker
    Ooryl = Shiel + Forge
    Rhys = Dlarit
    Vri'Syk < Darklighter

By process of elimination, the Tigers are stronger. Both teams have an equal amount of teamwork, being all Rogues, but Tiger's overall squad is that little bit stronger.

TIGER squadron.

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    [face_shocked] Oh,man.The final decision of this game is up to me! (I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to deside the team battle. 8-}) Anyway,give me a little time,and I'll get my vote up. :)

11. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Randomly, SuperVader, I just cut off two feet of hair. But that is neither here nor there.

Where'd you get the colors?

A-Wings, I still don't think that's accounting for Corran + Ooryl = amazing teamwork.

12. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Ok,here's my vote, ;)

First of all,both of these teams are excellent,Intruder Squadron Has Corran and Hobbie as 2 of there top pilots.Tiger Squadron has Luke,Tycho and Gavin as there top three.All are Rogues,and excellent pilots.This is a hard matchup to deside because these teams are about equal.In the end though I've got to pick one team and that team is Tiger Sqadron .My reasoning you might wonder? Well,

Luke=one of the top three pilots in the draft.

Gavin=Commander of Rogue squdron during the begining of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

Gavin and Tycho worked togeather.

Gavin will work well with Luke,being the cousen of Biggs.

In the end,the Tigers just are to powerful for the Intruders to beat.

Winner: Tiger Squadron

To quote Corran,

"Love it or hate it,that's my pick."

OBIX1 out. :)

13. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Great JOB!!! GO TIGER SQUAD>>>

okayt his is over now right? so when will the next one be up? cause i wanaa play

14. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Like it or hate it, huh?

;)

I still don't think raw power should be the deciding factor in the team battle. This isn't an equation. The team is more than the sum of it's parts, when the team is put together well. I say again, Corran & Ooryl are stronger together than apart, and things like that should be factoring into the team aspect. Raw power is for the first six rounds. The seventh round is for the team, and I think the team side of this should be taken into better consideration. Rhysati does not equal Dlarit in the team battles, because Rhysati is a talented flyer that brings people together, and Erisi is a talented flyer that happens to be a traitor, with more people hating her than liking her.

And on a grander scale, the Empire had a lot of individual power. Then the Rebels knocked 'em over. It's how the team works together in the end. I just don't think math is a good enough means to decide the team battles like that.

But anyways. 'Tis moot.

One more time around, SV.

15. SuperVader

Sep 23, 2002
    Ahh we have to go again. :)

Ya read my title, I lost in a Eu trivia game but everyone lost in the final round so we all got colours for a day and the title I dont mind though i like red.

I guess Ill dend my numbers into Corran.

16. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    I still don't think raw power should be the deciding factor in the team battle. This isn't an equation. The team is more than the sum of it's parts, when the team is put together well. I say again, Corran & Ooryl are stronger together than apart, and things like that should be factoring into the team aspect. Raw power is for the first six rounds. The seventh round is for the team, and I think the team side of this should be taken into better consideration.

Well,the Tiger squadron does have raw power,but I honestly thought they worked better togeather.No offence, Gaeri. :)

17. Corran10584

Oct 8, 2002
    Sorry I wasn't around yesterday guys, I was busy for most of the night. I'll have the next round up once Gaeri sends me her numbers.

Also, about the team battle votes for last round, I think that, in the future, more explanation than "raw power" is needed. I'm not saying any of the votes were wrong, far from it, I just want to make sure that we're being fair to both GMs. After all, pure power doesn't always win, look at the Carolina Panthers (I love throwing random football analogies in here ;) ). As Draft Commish, I need to make sure everyone is getting their money's worth...

...Oh wait, this thing is free...

:p

The second round of the Finals will begin shortly, and here's hoping it will be a battle for the ages! :D

~Corran

18. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Eh? Thought I already did! This is what happens when you get home after midnight and then get to your "to-do" list. Stupid Tuesdays.

19. Corran10584

Oct 8, 2002
    Results of Team Battles:

Intruder Squadron falls to Tiger Squadron

Finals Results of Finals Part 1:

Intruder Squadron is bested by Tiger Squadron 2-5

History has happened folks. SuperVader has become the first challenger to enter the Finals and score a victory over the champion, ending Gaeri's winning streak which has lasted for the past two competitions. However, with both teams with only one loss, we must, once again, throw these two teams head to head to find our winner. The action is guarenteed to be fast paced (I hope), in this winner-take-all match-up for the Second Starfighter Draft Championship!

Finals Part 2:

Intruder Squadron vs. Tiger Squadron

So, let's not waste anymore time, shall we? Both sets of numbers are in, and away we go! Best of luck to both GMs. The first number for this round is...3!!

Derek "Hobbie" Klivian vs. Riv Shiel

Let's Get it On!!

~Corran

20. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Oh, craptastic.

21. OBIX2

OBIX2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    Derek "Hobbie" Klivian vs. Riv Shiel

Not to hard of a matchup here,so I'm gonna make this short.Both are good pilots,and both members of the Rogues.Riv doesn't seem like a all-star or anything,and Hobbie I think,would be to much for him.Hobbie's got more experience,and skills on his side.He served on the Rand Ecliptic,fought in the battle of Hoth,etc.Hobbie takes this one.

Winner: Derek "Hobbie" Klivian

:)

22. Corran10584

Oct 8, 2002
    The Match-Up: Derek "Hobbie" Klivian vs. Riv Shiel

Like OBI said, this isn't that hard to decide. Riv is a decent pilot, but nothing special. Hobbie has got the skill and experience to take down the Wolfman.

The Winner: Derek "Hobbie" Klivian

Results of Round 1:

Derek "Hobbie" Klivian outflies Riv Shiel

After Round 1:

Intruder Squadron 1 - Tiger Squadron 0

Wow! A round that didn't take a week to decide! :p Moving right along, then! The next battle number for the second round of the Finals is...5!!

Rhysati Ynr vs. Erisi Dlarit

Let's Get it On!!

~Corran

23. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Rhysati vs. Erisi
    All throughout this draft I've said, well, Rhys is underrated. And she is. And i'm giving Miss Ynr the victory here, because she's good enough and she deserves it.

24. Corran10584

Oct 8, 2002
    The Match-Up: Rhysati Ynr vs. Erisi Dlarit

A Catfight between two pretty good pilots. However, Rhysati does have the edge here for two reasons. First, we saw a little bit more of her skill throughout the X-Wing books. Second, to my knowledge, Rhysati was never shot down in combat. With her level of skill and survivability, Rhysati takes the win.

The Winner: Rhysati Ynr

Results of Round 2:

Rhysati Ynr is too much for Erisi Dlarit

After Round 2:

Intruder Squadron 2 - Tiger Squadron 0

Such excitement! And we've only just begun! The next battle number for this round is...6!!

Tal'dira vs. Luke Skywalker

Let's Get it On!!

~Corran

25. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    C'mon Tal'dira, use them Twi'lek skills! Kamakaze him if you have to!

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.