main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

See You Space Cowboy: The Cowboy Bebop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    While Cartoon Network has developed the nasty habit of reairing the series over and over and over again I still say this is one of the best series I have ever seen, and probably one of the best TV sci-fi series ever.

The voice-acting is brillaint, Spike Spiegel is a fascinating character, they are all fascinating, Jet's past made a very interesting story-arc, Faye is a always interesting, and Ed is hilarious, and the Julia arc at the end was amazing, I still say the series had the one of the best endings ever.

Anyone else enjoyed this?

-The Scummy-

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    *Faye :p

And it is a great show. I never did see it on cartoon network. I have the DVDs.

And it pains me to know they are releasing new versions :(
    I cant wait for the video game due out this year.

3. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Teh what! Elaborate please... [face_worried]

-The Scummy-

4. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    just newer dvds

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=br_ss_hs/103-5591212-2247025?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Ddvd&field-keywords=cowboy+bebop&Go.x=9&Go.y=10

remix versions

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Toonami showed it here in the UK - excellent series! The ending was sad though.

6. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I love that show. Yeah, Cartoon Network ran over and over again. Spike is my kinda guy.

7. Nightflower

Nightflower Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    Cowboy Bebop - best anime series EVER!!! :D

Okay, giggly fangirl outburst over...I first caught this series the first time Cartoon Network ran it...and it was with FAR less commercials than they run now, so you got to see all the nifty bumpers in mid-show (I think those are on the DVDs) as WELL as the previews for next week's show, often with a jokey voice-over by Spike or Jet. Sadly, those previews are gone, and they speed up the end credits now to make room for more commercials. :(

The way this show was engineered is totally amazing. You only see little snippets of Spike's past throughout - enough to always keep you intrigued, but never enough to tell the whole story. A substantial part of Spike's past was relayed simply through a series of stills over the END CREDITS! Even at the series' end, you still don't know everything, but you know enough. This show could show more in one image than most shows reveal in five minutes of dialogue. Speaking of dialogue, it's used very economically here, and is often loaded with hidden meaning and subtext. Plus, you see a lot of symbolism upon multiple viewings. Oh, and did I mention the MUSIC???? Yoko Kanno is GOD!!!! :D

Some favorite sessions: Asteroid Blues, Mushroom Samba, Pierrot Le Fou, Speak Like A Child, and Cowboy Funk. (If I continued with the list, I'd probably name 'em all.) ;)

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    This is one of those really rare anime where the English dub is better than the original Japanese.

And the music for this series really is a thing of beauty.

9. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Cowboy Bebop contains all my major requirements -

*spaceships
    *shoot outs
    *kick a** action

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The show's midly entertaining at best, although the OST was good but that's thanks to Kanno Yoko :p

11. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, Yoko Kanno is a genius.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Ed rocks. The English voice cast is what I hear when I think about Cowboy Bebop. I love the show.

'Bang.'

13. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    I love this series, it's tone, I think, really inspires the zanier and angstier sides of my writing. As for the ending- brilliant, especially if you realize how open-ended it is.

14. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes, the the profound quote,
    'bang,bang'.........

15. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    How is it open ended at all? Spike dies. Bebop is a Noir genre show. That genre is known for main characters dying. Plus Spike got stabbed. It's really not that open ended.

-P!-

16. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    What???

When????

How did I manage to miss this?

I've got the movie, and I've got the three volumes of the manga.

I really like it, very off-beat. Spike is the coolest.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It was a couple of years ago now - and it might have been when they were called CNX. I know I videoed all of the episodes though. I think they repeated it a couple of times as well. They were running Outlaw Star at the same time. It was also pretty good.

18. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I saw it for the first time when it played during Adult Swim. I taped all the episodes and re-watched them over and over and over... until i was sick of it. lol

But then the Cowboy Bebop: Remix DVDs started getting released and decided to buy them. Also, I bought the movie the other day, but I refuse to watch it until I can watch it with the series complete. I'm falling in love with the show all over again (That and Samurai Champloo)

Best ending to an Anime ever... geez, is it just me or do the endings to most Animes usually... well suck. Evangelion, Hellsing, Trigun, and FLCL left me wanting more. I've seen a lot of anime though. Cowboy Bebop is the best still.

19. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Evangelion and FLCL have awesome endings that finish their plots and resolve their major character issues. So I'm not sure what people really want out of that when they say they want something else.

-P!-

20. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Did you see End of Evangelion...?

21. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Yeah.

It cleared up a lot of loose ends...it just takes some effort on the viewer's part. By no means is it a clear and concise ending, but hey: Everybody's dead!

22. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    It's my favorite movie.

It cleared up Shinji's mental issues, Asuka's, explained Rei, explained Third Impact and the Angel's, and their conflict, and gave a resolution.

Not a single person died in End of Evangelion. Only those who don't sort through it all think so.

-P!-

23. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah, I really liked Evangelion until it... well... End of Evangelion was a terrible terrible ending! lol

24. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003

Not a single person died in End of Evangelion. Only those who don't sort through it all think so.

It was a joke. In any case, they may as WELL be dead from the perspective of the viewer, since the only corporeal characters left are Asuka and Shinji.

25. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Again, only if you put no effort into it. I found it all to be pretty simple and straightforward.

For now. At any moment others could return.

-P!-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.