main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Selling tutorials

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by TaunTaunHerder, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007
    Is it legal to sell tutorials about;

(1) Taking an off the shelf Star Wars model kit/toy, modifying it, making a dvd tutorial of the build/ modification and selling the dvd.

For instance, building a Millenium Falcon scale model, painting it camouflage to look like a military use, generic YT-1300 transport instead of looking like the "Millenium Falcon".

Building a Firespray-class starfighter to look like a generic spaceship instead of the Slave-1.

(2) Making a one of a kind, scratch-built, unique "Star Wars" vehicle (for use in a fan film) of your own design and construction, making a dvd tutorial of the build and selling the dvd.

2. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
  3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    selling ANYTHING in electronic form without a big corporation logo on it is a big no no these days my friend.

4. TaunTaunHerder

Oct 26, 2007
    I don't know if you're being facetious, or not.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I don't think he is. It's something that's technically illegal even to create, let alone sell, but there's definitely a double standard when it comes to this sorta thing. For instance, I wanted to make a custom t-shirt on Zazzle with a picture of myself and Tim Burton on it, because I met him earlier this year. They wouldn't let me. Said he was copyrighted, which is just ridiculous. On the same token, when you go to ebay and search "Tim Burton," there's a billion t-shirts with pictures of him and his characters on them that are being sold. Which is technically illegal.

The same applies to Star Wars. No offense, but I think part of the reason Star Wars Shop had to close its doors was because of people like you making unlicensed Star Wars stuff and selling it. It's not something you're allowed to do. It's not something that's particularly moral, in my opinion, although there's a definite gray area there. But can you get away with it? I'm sure you can.

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010

my jaw just dropped 50 centimetres, thats just ludicrous

and TTH: no I wassn't being facetious [face_peace]

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If that was ever a problem Star Wars Shop would never have got off the ground. Star Wars has always had a problem with counterfeit merchandise, from humorous oddities that Lucasfilm would never licence in a million years (like condoms) to full on toy rip offs packaged under budget line names. Lucasfilm have always shut down counterfeiters when they found them, but it's never done them harm in the past because of the sheer scale of their media empire.

The reason Star Wars Shop shut down was the same reason they shut the forums down, the lack of internet traffic was not making up the running cost. Which isn't surprising. Star Wars isn't a multi-million dollar movie franchise like it was when the shop first opened. It's a small children's cartoon now, with an audience that is barely bringing in 2 million viewers a week (Admittedly in America alone). Assuming most of that audience is children you aren't left with a very large ammount of people with a debit/credit card to use over the internet. Why lose cash running a large website that isn't dragging in punters when you can strip the website down to it's bare bones and just let third party retailers buy the stock from you instead?

The law is pretty clear on the issue. Using licenced materials to sell your own merchandise without consent of the copyright owner is against the law. If you in any way use Star Wars, or the images/names/sounds licenced within the brand to sell your stuff you will have broken the law.

You could give it a try if you absolutely must, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyers eventually found you and slapped with a fine so big you may as well start looking for a cardboard box to live in.

8. TaunTaunHerder

Oct 26, 2007

Um, yeah, if it's not legal I won't do it.

I was thinking about Andrew Kramer with his AE tutorials and plug-ins. He didn't invent or doesn't own the copyright to AE, (or did/ does he? IDK) but he does sell his AE tutorials and plug-ins.

But, apparently, this is different.

Thanks for the lowdown, the 411, my peeps. Mad props all around.

FTW :cool: [:D]

9. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    What Chewgumma said.

That and even then it cost a bomb to buy stuff off there (+ postage and then customs charges for people overseas). Star Wars stuff has always (sadly) been overpriced.
    Hense why I rarely buy anything bigger than an action figure.

As for the counterfits, some corperations shut them down left right and centre, and a few just ignore them (particualy celebrites and such; go into any london market and you'll see bootleg t-shirts). And hense the sheer amount of Tim Burton t-shirts on ebay.
    In all seriousness QGR, if you want that t-shirt done, try a local t-shirt printing shop. They probably won't care if it's just one shirt. Or a place that develops camera film. They often print photos on t-shirts (well at least in the uk).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.