main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA SFFF Picnic

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    It looks like the 19th.

2. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    My vote would be for Coyote Point since it is fairly close and a nice space. We just have to decide who is going to make the reservation and the best way to collect money

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Coyote Point sounds good to me, too. I could even drive there. I have paypal now, so me sending in $$ won't be a problem.

I'm planning on taking the car in on Friday, the 18th, so it should be ready Sat. morning.

4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    What's the latest on the picnic? I need to know!! Must plan week in advance just to go to the movies, so you guys are killing me here! 8-}

5. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    The only thing definite is the date, Aug. 19th. The time will probably after 11 am. The place will be determined by the weather forecast the week before. So if people are doing their homework by looking into several parks like Dale asked, then we should have several places in mind to choose from by then.

Basically, the things to look for:

Is there a space available?

Is there a grill on site?

How's the weather usually there at this time of year?

Is a deposit/reservation needed, and how late can we cancel a reservation?

What facilities are there, and how far is parking and restrooms?

Is it easily accesible by everyone (i.e. not too complicated directions)

Depending on how many submissions we get about different parks by the week before will determine where we'll have it.

Oh, another thing - does anyone have a portable grill, just in case the place we choose doesn't have one?

6. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Coyote Point has grills for sure.

7. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    One thing to keep in mind about Coyote Point is that I have been hearing on the radio that the Pennisula Humane Society is having a fundraiser there on the 19th so some of the park is going to have a lot of dogs in it, if that matters. And lots of people too.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Not a problem for me. Is anyone looking into the details? Like what it costs, is space available and cancellation info?

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm usually working during the day, and can't really use the net or phone for personal use. So if anyone has the time to look up and call parks, please do so.

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, here's the skivvy on Coyote Point, most sites are booked 3 to 6 MONTHS in advance. I will try to call on my lunch hour and see if a $65 site is still available. There is also a fee for each car, so let's try to carpool, but we can see about that if we even get a site.

Fees are supposed to be paid by the 14th of the month prior to the event. I'll post as soon after lunch as I can and let you know what I found out. :)

Also, if we are successful in getting a site, someone has to be there at 9 AM the day of the picnic.

List of Park Rules: (Coyote Point)

Park Regulations

On weekends and holidays, at least one member of your group must be at your reserved picnic site no later than 9:00 A.M. on the day of your picnic.

You are responsible for complying with park rules on the enclosed park map.
    Your cooperation is requested in insuring that you and others in surroundings picnic sites enjoy themselves. Park rangers will monitor noise from sound devices and musical instruments. No amplified music.

No signs are to be put in the park indicating the location of your picnic. The rangers in the gatehouse have a list of all reservations in individual areas and they will direct all guests to your area.

Staples, tacks or nails are not to be used to put up decorations or any kind. Masking tape may be used on the tables.

Portable BBQ/hibachis are not to be used in the park without prior written permission by the supervising ranger. Permanent BBQ pits are supplied in all picnic areas.

Please remember to inform your guests that no dogs or pets are allowed in the park.

Leave the area(s) clean. A maintenance charge may be assessed if you leave the area dirty or damaged. Check with a ranger to assure your area is clean when leaving.

Garbage containers are to be left where they have been placed by the park staff. Additional containers may be added to your area upon request/need.

Recycling stations are provided in many park areas. Please help the environment by using them to recycle.

No hard liquor; beer and wine are okay.

For youth group camping it is $1.50 per child, $5 per adult over the 6 to 1 ratio.

Reservation fee does not include a $5.00 per vehicle entry fee or $18.00 per bus entry fee.

A $10.00 fee will be incurred for a cancellation of a reservation. This fee is not refundable.

For a full refund, cancellations must be made at least 15 days prior to the date of your event.

In case of rain, contact the Park Ranger the day of your event to see if it is a rain out. If no contact is made, you will be considered a no show

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Coyote Point is booked solid for August weekends. I can call the other parks on the San Mateo county park map or we can change either the day of the week or try for another month, like Sept. or Oct. (BRR!)

I'll call again after 2:30, when I can take a break.

Here are some other parks. I will see if Aug. 19 is open at one of them.

Junipero Serra
    San Pedro Valley
    Flood Park
    Huddart Park
    Heritage Grove
    Memorial Park

12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Update, couldn't get thru on my break, the reservation desk is open until 5:30 p.m., so I will try again after work.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    IMO, I think we should keep the date we have, rather than change it to another month. There are some events in the planning stages for September already (can't go into details yet), and there's the Halloween trip planned for October already.

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, I'll keep trying to find a site, but most places are already booked solid, at least 3 months in advance.

15. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, hold onto your lightsabers! Junipero Serra Park has a picnic site available for the 19th. It has 2 BBQ's, 4 picnic tables, can accommodate up to 35 people, the restrooms are 20 ft. from the picnic area and the parking is 30 ft. away.

Bad news, we need to reserve the site asap, like TODAY!!, and we need a valid credit card to reserve it. It costs $70, which divided up by 20 is like, $3.50 each, plus $5 per car to park, so a relatively cheap day. If we cancel, it's a mere $10, or 50 cents each. ;)

I'd do it, but I cancelled my credit card after my little internet booboo, in which I signed up for all kinds of crap to get 2 free dinners at my fav restaurant and to date, I have no free dinner tickets! :mad:

So, are we going to do Crissy Fields by default, or does someone want to help out here?

The website is posted on page 1, thanks to Dale, so you can look at the park.

To add a Star Wars theme to this post, this is why Han told Leia, "I don't have time to discuss this in committee!" ;)

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    The weather that weekend for Junipero Serra park should be in the low 70's. If that's too cold, I don't know what to say. It's gotta be warmer than Crissy Field! :p

If we do get a reservation at Junipero Serra park, the cancellation fee is only $10, even if we cancel the day before.

17. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Ano...... I was at Coyote Point yesterday for work (yes for work, BBQ/picnic for all of Final Recovery Ops), It was REALLY nice. $5 parking. Other than that, I'm not even sure there was a fee. Maybe for weekends it's booked solid though during the summer.

18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Coyote Point has a $65 fee for a reservation and you can't have a group picnic without a reservation. It's booked solid every weekend thru the end of August.

The available spot at Junipero Serra may be booked by Sunday as well.

19. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    eh, whatever then...

20. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I have an idea...

will post it later if it's viable.

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I have a meeting at work in the morning on Saturday, but I'll go by Junipero Serra to check it out and see if there's a space available. If there is, I'll pay for it, and we can split the costs later.

22. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I was thinking Genentech, there is a really nice are with a BBQ grill spot next to the bay with tables and such... I just don't know what security will be like on Saturday and if they will be checking parking. I'll check on that tomorrow, I have a meeting at work in the morning followed by a luncheon. Busy busy busy...

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Those ideas sound great, guys! Go for it!

Just remembered that the reservation line is only open Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and the site itself can't make your reservation. Sorry about that!

24. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I think security will have a fit concerning vehicles so I doubt'll go.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I just came from both Crissy Field AND Junipero Serra Park today and the weather at both locations was the same: warm (but not hot), with a nice breeze. Unfortunately, I can't call their offices to ask questions about reservations because both of their hours are only open M-F. But I did find out that both locations DON'T require reservations for 20 people or less. Once I call them tomorrow, I'll post on what's available, and then perhaps a poll. Whatever gets the most votes by 12 noon on Friday will be where we'll hold it.

Right now, please post what FOOD you'll bring.

Dale and I can bring chicken, potato/macaroni salad, and chips/dip. We also have chairs and blankets, a football, baseball gloves and ball, protective nets for the food (which I have to find), and ice chest.

To avoid confusion and doubles of things, I think whoever volunteers for hot dogs/hamburgers, should also bring the buns and condiments; and whoever gets drinks should get ice, and maybe another ice chest; plates should be brought along with utensils and napkins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.