main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA SFFF Web Site - domain name renewal

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    FYI - I just noticed the SFFF web site was down and remembered that our domain name registration is usually due in the beginning of January. Usually I'm sent e-mail notices when payments are due, but somehow it was not sent, could have gotten caught by spam filters, or slipped by me with the holidays.

Anyway, I figured right now was not a time to ask people to 'vote' if they wanted to continue to have the web site so I paid the $17.00 fee to keep our domain name for a year and hopefully the site will be back online before I go on vacation this Saturday. If anyone wants to chip in and reimburse me at the next meeting I'd appreciate it.

Our Web hosting fees are usually due mid year - it's a separate payment off cycle from the domain name registration. So we should probably discuss if we want to keep the web site up in advance of that due date and if the payment for web hosting should be made as well.

2. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    pp sent

3. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the donation Tom, I appreciated it. I hated to see the site go off line :( At least I caught it pretty quickly!

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Kathy, I'll pass you a couple of dollars in person the next time I see you. That way we can avoid the annoying paypal fees. ;)

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Sorry I was so involved in catching up with some people last night that I forgot to pay you, Kathy.

Next time for sure (are you to D's party Saturday?)

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't believe I've been invited to mysterious "D's" party. Sorry!

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Just a friendly bump. So far I only had the donation from Tom.

8. kanna84

kanna84 Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2010
    Spamvertising is bad

9. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    Security!

10. irishjedimaster

irishjedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2010
    What was that, a bot? Shenanigans.

11. irishjedimaster

irishjedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2010
    Also, how much do you still need and by when?

12. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    For future reference, the CR (or a Council Member) should contact an RSA regarding these type of posts.

13. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Just a heads up that life is really hectic for me right now and I am usually on the boards at night after work so if something comes up that you need me to help with, just send me a text. Most of you should have my cell number. After April 15th life will get a little more sane, thank god.

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Actually, any SFFF member (or council member) can contact the mods the minute they see a post violation. We are all responsible here for helping out with this regardless of our title (or lack of title). Someone violates forum posting rules, bring it to the moderator's attention so they can deal with it as quickly as possible.

Tom could have done it if he was the first to spot it. CR should be on top of it but if someone else finds an offensive post first they can send it off to the moderator online or PM JediYvette. Her link is a the top of our forum.

Um, I just thought of something else off topic. Rachel needs to PM JediYvette to change Nebelwerfer and Taeriel's status to council member. Maybe Dale needs to have that title removed from his profile too. This is stuff the CR requests.

15. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005
    I have a small and humble donation for you when I see you at Wondercon. Also, if we need a website designer, my boyfriend is a talented designer: www.eyeflowdesigns.com. Let me know if you want more info.

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    My rushed calculation at our meeting was that I was short $9.00 in overall expenses when the web site domain name and printing paper costs were combined.

Oh, thanks for the offer of your boyfriend's skills Sharon. In my opinion, a redo of the web site right now would be a huge task - especially since we have so many pages due to the photo albums. I just don't have time to even team up to work with anyone on a redesign, since someone on our end would have to be involved. I barely have time to just keep up the current web site with updates, let alone be involved with an overhaul. If the membership wants a redesign, then I'll have to totally hand the web site over to someone else to maintain and I don't know that we have anyone here that experienced with HTML, Java Script, and CSS, to keep a new web site updated. If they are hiding and want to be responsible though, that's great! It's just that the last time this topic came up nobody had enough skill/experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.