main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Short Trip

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by raiza123, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I wanted to propose a little outing for this group and see what you all thought. I would like to see who would be interested in going canoeing over at Wekiva Springs? I've done it once before and alone or in a group it could be fun. You get exercise, fresh air and can still talk about SW stuff all at the same time! It might be better than meeting inside a library while the weather has been so beautiful. I'm of course talking in the next month or so because once we hit summer time the bugs are going to be scary! Anyone up for it?

Melanie

2. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'd very much like a canoe trip. Good idea, summer or not- though I do like it to be warm enough not to mind getting in the water. Fairly close to Wekiva Springs is a place called King's Landing that rents canoes for about $25- you take them on a 3 hour, or so, ride and at a pre-determined time down the line you get picked up and driven back to your cars. Great idea. -Campbell

3. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    Count me in, but PLEASE make sure it's gonna be a hot day! :)

4. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Ok. So end of April beg. of May it might be warm enough. Obviously we can't do it in end of May or June because of SW Weekends but I don't mind a warm day. Just not the middle of July if we can avoid it if possible. That was when the bugs were horrendous and it was 100 degrees in the shade.

Melanie

5. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    100 Degrees in the shade!? Isn't this natural spring water? If so, the water is VERY refreshing!

6. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Ah yes but the mosquitos the size of pigs are not refreshing. No amount of bug spray can protect you. That is why I suggest a very warm weekend before the heart of the summer when the bugs have taken over the river. However, I will bow to the will of the group collective.
    Melanie :)

7. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    Mabye we should come up with a few definite dates, and whichever date gets the most votes, that's when we go....

8. Focefullkenobi

Focefullkenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2004
    Someone should do a poll to see when would be best.

9. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    I would be. I could be the tour guide. I used to canoe a lot and a lot of that time on the Wekiva. I used to live near Wekiva State Park when I lived in Apopka. I have lots of fond memories of the area. If you all decide to go I can help set it all up.

10. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    That would be great. I've heard wonderful things about Katie's, what do you think? I've been researching the various marinas online but if you know of one that is reasonable over the others please share. Also, I'd put up a poll with multiple dates on it but we could also talk about it in this upcoming meeting for those who are going and list a few random days then. Well, hope you all have a good night.

Melanie

11. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    I have been out of King's Landing several times they are good to go from- I think I have been out of Katie's too.. either way- there is not much of a difference between what you'll get. A canoe, two oars and a nice place to launch from.

12. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I have a variety of prices based on length of time. Once we get a little closer and we know what day, etc. I'll post what I've found after calling the marinas and asking. I think we should all have a blast and it will definately be different than sitting in a library. Should be fun!
    Melanie

13. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    I agree- plus the area is really pretty and there is a wide variety of bird and beast to see along the banks.

14. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I've also had very close encounters with alligators, deer, and bees. Nothing bad to report. Canoeing's a fitting skill for a Jedi, count me in. -Campbell

15. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Going down the river in a canoe? You mean I get to ride IN the canoe? Might be fun, although Im used to wading down rivers carrying an M-16 and a 100 pound pack on my back. Might have to check this out.

16. Phntmns

Phntmns Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    .....so has anyone come up with some dates??

17. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Please see the survey post with the trip dates and vote for the date you think is best. So far May 8th seems to be winning.
    Ok guys, no guns, this is a peaceful trip! ONLY lightsabers allowed!
    Melanie

18. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    If I hear banjos I'm outta there! :p

L8r

19. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Banjos out in the woods. Brings back memories of my old Kentucky home.

20. jedigirl99

jedigirl99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    So, Tristan458, you in the infantry?

jedigirl99

21. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    No banjos out there- maybe some years ago but that area has gotten more urban- plus most of the squatters have been removed.

22. tristan458

Aug 15, 2003
    Yes I was. Loved every minute of it.

23. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Where u in Gulf 1? Though you seem to young to have been.

24. tristan458

Aug 15, 2003
    Im 32, Ill be 33 this June. Was in for 12 years, got out 2 years ago. Im sure you can figure it out. So much for being "too" young.

25. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    You're the same age of a friend of mine who was in Gulf 1. She was in the Army- she had the dubious honor of being in a truck that hit a landmine- fortunately she suffered no major pemanent injuries- but she had to get some surgery done on her leg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.