main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. background_jedi

background_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    I really think the overall story would've benefitted from having a badguy stick around for more than one movie and then *poof* he's gone. That's the problem with most action franchises today, the baddies are good for one outing and then seeya.

GL had the foresight to avoid this with Vader in the first movie (back before he revised the story to be about Anakin) and the series as a whole was better for that bit of character continuity. In the PT Palps goes through apprentices like toilet paper.

2. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Well, nothing really bad happened because of his death, I mean Dooku was still a superb replacement and all but then again Maul was the one of the best things in TPM.

I would have found a way to make him stay. Afterall he was one of the biggest things going for the new era of SW.

3. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Come the time in Episode III when Anakin turns into Darth Vader everyone in the theaters going to be like, "Darth Maul who?!?!?" :D

4. nethanial

nethanial Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2000
    I think its ok that he died. He served his purpose. On a side note I was completely shocked when he did die. After seeing his face everywhere I assumed he was going to be the Vader of Episodes 1, 2 and 3. Didnt see that one coming.

5. IceDrake523

IceDrake523 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    I don't think he should have died. He was a kickass villian (very creepy) and introduced the new saber. The only reason why i like Dooku is b/c he's Christopher Lee. But other than that, he does nothing for me. Maul had to die so Dooku could come in. If anyone should have died in TPM, it should have been Jar Jar.

Since we're on the topic of Maul, I haven't seen AOTC in awhile, but did they mention how long ago it was that Dooku went to the Dark side?

And also, is Grevious considered Sith?

6. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Maul was all brawn and no brain. He would've never been able to replace Dooku in Palp's schemes. He died because of his over confidence. Just look at the fight. He focus's on Qui Gon, ingnoring Obi wan as if to say "I'm to good to fight a Padawan" and that's exactly what got him killed. He would not have been a good leader and that's what Palp's needs to have his plot come off.

Thats not where I was heading. Dooku is really a boring character played by a great actor, but he could have been cool had we seen more of his motivation for leaving the Jedi.

I wanted Maul to be more of a Boba Fett-like role - the quiet badass who shows up from time to time to be a thorn in eveyone's sides. He didnt NEED a lot of personality much like Boba Fett didnt.

As to uniting the Confederacy, I agree Maul wouldnt work. However, this would have been a perfect time to introduce Tarkin.

7. feliks

feliks Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2004
    Imagine Yoda vs. Darth Maul instead of Dooku. Yea, there's my answer.

8. MasterJedi2384

MasterJedi2384 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    Darth Maul is probably the best thing in TPM, and the fight between Qui Jon/ Obi/ Maul was arguably the best fight in the series. But as much as I like Maul and wished he would stay, I think the movies are better off that he died, and it showed how powerful Obi Wan was when he was by himself.

9. masterheiros

masterheiros Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    Well, he had to die before ANH so maybe it would have been better dying in Ep 3. I believe that Maul was a very interesting and unique character and it was ridiculous to kill him off so senselessly and quickly. He IS the only sith that is not human which I find very cool so Lucas should have kept him atleast to AOTC. That would have been great for me and my fellow Maul fans.

Sitara likes this.
  10. IceDrake523

Sep 25, 2004
    i watched TPM last night. Maul was so kickass. I would have rather see Maul vs Dooku and Dooku kill him.

11. Joguy90

Joguy90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    Darth Maul could have been a persistant menace to the characters in at least AOTC. You know, he pops up here and there and runs away. He'd probably eventually be killed in AOTC. Maul really is coller than Dooku and much more interesting, even though he almost never talks. His backstory wouldn't have to be shown. Whatever, most ideas about Maul are pretty farfetched. It's just that he's the coolest character in Star Wars. Boba Fett is still prety cool, but the only time you really see him being cool is novels and comics books.

12. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    I would say no. It would have been smarter to develop more into the character instead have him killed off so quick. I think it would have been cool to have gone into depths on his character in the other prequels. But Lucas has big plans for his trilogy and it was just something to add into the mix.

13. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    let's just say Maul is easly the coolest character in the preqeals(sp?)

well Anakins the coolest but he's in all of them so yeah....

14. SilverSith812

SilverSith812 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2004
    If Lucus now knew how popular Maul is, I think he would of kept him in. Darth Maul is awesome! I agree with the people that also said that Darth Maul could of blocked Obi Wan's jump. Darth Maul is sort of martial-arts sith material. He was so fast in that movie. So I think he could of blocked it.

He had to die though, so what can you do. *sniff*

15. IceDrake523

Sep 25, 2004
    "He had to die though, so what can you do. *sniff*"

Hope that he is an unlockable character in a future Star Wars game. All moves included.

16. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    He should have survived. no Dooku...that way the PT doesnt seem as though everything changes between movies

17. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    He should have survived. no Dooku...that way the PT doesnt seem as though everything changes between movies

That's exactly why he has to die.
    It shows Palpatine going through apprentices like crazy, until he gets it right with Vader.

18. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Mace Windu: YES, HE DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL!!!

19. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    Did I *want* Darth Maul? No.

*Should* he have died? Yes. As at least one poster on Page One has said, he didn't further the plot to get to Episode IV any - there needed to be an opening for Anakin to become the next in line (or next-but-two as we learnt in AOTC), and Maul ending up as a shiskabab was it.

20. IceDrake523

Sep 25, 2004
    If Maul is a secret Character in the EP III game, I will not mind as much that he died in TPM.

21. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Personally, I would've liked him to have lived at least for another film if not all the way to RotS. Obviously, as pointed out before, he'd have to die before ANH.

The way his character was built up and how the final confrontation was set up at the end of TPM, he had to die.

Obviously, his character wasn't the type to give up. He was utterly loyal to his master and seemed to take his missions very seriously. He wasn't made out to be the type to quit or give up and that he was too competent at what he does to just "mess up". Sort of the Fett of TPM. He wouldn't have just let Obi-Wan get away. At the same time, Obi-Wan had to survive. He shows up in ANH, after all, and someone had to train Anakin.

So, even first seeing the previews for the movie, I figured he was a one-movie villian with the real power behind him remaining hidden to the Jedi and safe to do havoc in the next film.
    ;)

22. ElysiumFirefly

ElysiumFirefly Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 30, 2003
    Nope, he should have had more dialogue too.

23. I_Shot_First

I_Shot_First Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2004
    Imagine Yoda vs. Darth Maul instead of Dooku. Yea, there's my answer.

One of the things that adds true depth to the dooku-yoda duel is their shared history, which adds to the intensity of the duel.

As to the poster who said that Lucas didn't know how popular Maul would be, didn't he say that he made sure to kill off Maul, in a way that he couldn't comeback, when he saw what happened to Boba Fett? So since he is comparing him to Boba Fett, it looks like he has a fairly good idea of how popular Boba would be.

24. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Maul's story is a tragic one. I've read all about his past and it truely is sad that Palpatine controlled his whole life. If he was found by the right people, Maul could have been a great Jedi. Of course, Palpatine found him, molded him into his tool, then used him to accomplish his bidding. Maul should of lived, as he was living more Sidious's life and goals then his own. I find it so sad how Sidious tortured the young Zabrak...corrupting him to use his potent power. It's really sad...

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I_Shot_First, I personally think that the whole Dooku/Yoda shared past thing was stupid. It became far too coincidental that everyone was just everyone's old master/apprentice. Geez.

But as for this, I think Maul should've lived through EPIII. Especially since, given my understanding of Grievous (based only off the CW shorts, so no spoilers here) they've recreated another world-class, very kinetc saberist to take his place in EPIII.

Admittedly, they'd need to change the plots of AOTC and TPM a bit to make it feasible, but it wouldn't have been as unworkable as some peopel suggest to make Maul survive and be relevant/useful.