main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should GL edit Maul's death?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by poker, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    The fight, prior to Maul's death, is awesome and I don't want GL to change it.

But I always hated the way Maul is killed by Obi Wan. He just watch him and let Obiwan cut him in half. Its so anti-climatic!

You have one of the fastest lightsaber fighter ever in Maul. Kenobi has the time to force jump, back flip, take his master blade, land, and cut Maul in half and MAUL DOES NOTHING. He just watches!

It would have been better if Kenobi cut him in half while in the air. Or make Maul block the first saber strike! I don't know but anything would be better than this.

Anyone agree?

2. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    I agree that it would have been pretty cool if Obi cut him in half on the way down. That would have been impressive, most impressive. However, I think Maul was just kind of shocked that Obi had the strength to jump out of the pit and didn't think he could have done anything even if he landed behind him. He was wrong.

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Yeah, I'd like to have seen Obi-Wan slice him on the way up or way down, not after he landed.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think it's kind of cool that Obi-Wan seems to get superior power through the use of the light side. It makes you want to be a good guy :D

Obi-Wan Kenobi - mightier than Aslan
    /LM

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I always assumed that Maul did nothing because he had forgotten about Qui-Gon's lightsaber. He did nothing because he was expecting Obi-Wan to use some other attack than a lightsaber.

6. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    :eek: Never thought of that one! Good thinking, Strilo =D=

Strilo is clever
    /LM

7. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Good point Strilo. That makes more sense than what I always thought. I always thought that Obi-Wan just got lucky.

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    His overconfidence was his weakness.

9. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    Maul was really shocked...at obi wan getting out of the pit and the fact that he got Qui Gon lightsaber...
    :)

10. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Yeah he just stands weak

11. Darth_Devilkin

Darth_Devilkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2003
    Should GL edit Maul's death?

**** no!

12. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I think Maul just kind of watched because he was in shock. I mean, Obi basically flung himself out off of nothing. I don't think Maul believed the Lightside could be so powerful, and was just kind of like, "How the hell did he do that?"

EDIT: Still, maybe he should have at least attempted to defend himself, but I'm not sure if he knew that Obi grabbed Qui-gon's lightsaber while he was flying through the air.

13. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Should have been FASTER, MORE INTENSE, IMO

14. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Smarty pants. :p

I always raise an eyebrow at that scene myself, but I just calmly tell myself that Obi Wan is moving faster than Maul can react and that the Force is on Obi Wan's side.

15. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    He should edit it so that Obi-Wan says, "Sorry, gotta split."

Zing!

16. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    No its fine the way it is. Although I wish there was more to the duel itself. Maul and Obi are amazing duelists. To see them fight at the speed was awesome. There is sufficient reasons as to why Maul reacted the way he did.

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've always liked Maul's death (take that how you will)

18. poker

Jan 6, 2005
    I always assumed that Maul did nothing because he had forgotten about Qui-Gon's lightsaber. He did nothing because he was expecting Obi-Wan to use some other attack than a lightsaber.

He's more stupid than I though.

Doesn't he hear the sound of the saber while ObiWan lights it up in the air? He can't see the blade either?

ObiWan should slice in while in the air, it would have worked better.

19. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    I was confused by this too, but I'd buy Strilo's argument. After all, Qui-Gon's sabre was focused on quite specifically, and Maul stood rigid like preparing to block a force-push or physical strike. Fair enough, really.

20. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    After RotS is abandoned, i think GL will redo this part in CG.

Ewan's stunt double hanging from a wire and a few quick edits just wont look as good next to the amazing things he's done and is going to do in the rest of the films.

My thoughts.

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Every villain in Star Wars has a lame death. Maul is no different. It's a part of the legacy. Tarkin is killed by an explosion. Boba Fett is killed because a blind man hits him with a stick. Jabba the Hutt is killed because a half nekkid slave girl chokes him to death with her own chains. Palpatine is thrown into a reactor shaft. Admiral Piett crashes into the Death Star II. Jango's decapitated. Maul is chopped in half while staring at Obi-Wan.

22. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

Yes, but they need to explain why the heck Maul had turned his lightsaber _OFF_ at the exact point in time that obi-wan leapt out of the pit. THAT was the most retarded point of all. He keeps his saber on to make sparks, but when obi jumps, he turns it off??
    (pause the scene where obi leaps and you clearly see maul's saber is off).

IMO, I would like the scene to be edited to that Padme, who sees whats going on via vid screen, sends a re-programmed droideka desroyer droid to help obi-wan. The droid pours out a barrage of bolts, Maul turns and deflects (oh and btw, it would also be nice to see a Sith deflect bolts with his crimson saber for once!) and perhaps leaps using the force to slice up the droideka while deflecting its bolts back at it in midair.

During this time obi-wan jumps out, and jumps after maul, Maul turns and gets sliced in half...obi-wan force pushes remains into the pit. end of story.

It is doable via cgi; only around a months work I would say, though it will require Ray Park to suit back up for a scene or two.

23. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Maul's saber turns off when he falls into the pit.

Pits - some are deep, some are shallow
    /LM

24. poker

Jan 6, 2005
    Jabba the Hutt is killed because a half nekkid slave girl chokes him to death with her own chains

THAT'S HOW I WANT TO DIE!

25. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    IMO, I would like the scene to be edited to that Padme, who sees whats going on via vid screen, sends a re-programmed droideka desroyer droid to help obi-wan. The droid pours out a barrage of bolts, Maul turns and deflects (oh and btw, it would also be nice to see a Sith deflect bolts with his crimson saber for once!) and perhaps leaps using the force to slice up the droideka while deflecting its bolts back at it in midair.

During this time obi-wan jumps out, and jumps after maul, Maul turns and gets sliced in half...obi-wan force pushes remains into the pit. end of story.

That would slow things down in the wrong moment, IMO.
    Maul's death is much more unexpected and comes out of a suprise the way it is in the movie- both for the Sith and the audience. If I hadn't already known what's going to happen I would have been very suprised by Obi Wan suddenly getting the upper hand in this situation. It was still very thrilling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.