main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should "I have 5000/10000 posts" threads be allowed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Should "I have 5000/10000 posts" threads be allowed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, for both the 5k and 10k variety.

23.4%
  2. They should only be allowed at the 10k mark.

43.8%
  3. They shouldn't be allowed at all.

20.3%
  4. Other (please explain)

12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Nowadays, a lot of newer members go "hog wild" and run up post counts over 5000 in less than a year. For example, one JCer who started out with his first few thousand in Lit, but now mostly posts to EUC, is just about ready to break the 10000 mark in under 8 months. It also seems to me that many new Lit members are breaking 1000 in 1 or 2 months - I was happy to do it in nearly a year. Things are moving a lot faster in Lit than even a year ago.

The time factor needs to be considered in the equation. Someone who hits 10000 after 3 years, as opposed to someone who hits it in less than a year, don't both rate the same in my book.

2. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    I agree whole-heartedly with what JMA said a few posts ago. We, the posters of the Lit. Forum and it's moderators, should be doing everything in our power to foster a friendly atmosphere. When a Forum has a very narrow focus, it has a tendency to develop a sense of over-importance, and people start to take themselves too seriously. This, obviously, is a bad thing. A few community developing threads need to be interspersed to keep things light and on an even keel.

My one problem with the policy as it stands now is that it seems to be enforced unevenly. Those posters who've been around a long time, and have a high name recognition factor, tend have their celebrations embraced. Those who are less outspoken and not as popular or well-known tend to have their celebratory or social threads looked down upon or locked.

It's not really a problem of Moderation, either. A lot of it has to do with User response to a thread. For example, an unknown poster posts an celebratory thread, and all it takes is a few regulars dropping the Spam label on it and the thread is doomed. It's not really a conscious decision by posters, I assume. More likely, it's a natural reaction, but an unfair one regardless.

However, a definitive policy and dynamic enforcement of that policy would solve that issue. So, in general, I feel they should be allowed.

3. DashASolo

DashASolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    Yes, that is quite an accomplishment and should be celebrated throughout our community. If you have had the dedication and apparently the free time then we should celebrate your participation.

4. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    if they want to post about 5000, and 10000 posts, be my guest. its kind of a big thing.

in a geeky sort of way ;)

but then again, theres nothing wrong with that :D

5. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    No, I think you should place those threads in the JCC, etc.

6. WraithLead

WraithLead Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    I voted yes, because of what JMA said earlier. I only found the forums because of the link on the Books page, and all I'm enthusiastic enough about to post regularly on is the EU.

Plus, I don't think it would get too out of hand if you could only do it every 5000 posts, and if you don't want to look, don't click the link.

Just my .02

7. AlexiAlexander

AlexiAlexander Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    Other, Maybe there should be one thread for all the 10k posters; but I think thats some thing that can be noted in a p.s. or sig.

8. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    It would take me about 4 years to reach 5000 posts anyway. [face_blush]

I spend alot of time in the Lit Forum :D but only post when I've got something to add that hasn't been said. ;)

By the time I do reach 5000 the rules would've been changed another dozen times. :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Post #5001 for me.

Somehow fitting...

I would create a 5,000th post thread, but I don't think I'm well known enough... :(

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I think multiples of 5000 is a good start. But then again, I'm the one with the 27000+ post count. :D

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Just to note, I passed 10k tonight, and it's my 3 year anniversary today :D

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Most fun I had was when Val and Mas turned 10,000 posts on the same day and threw a party.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.