main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should we see Darth Sidious fight?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthMaul13, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I think the only way Lucas could top himself off from the Yoda fight, would be to see Darth Sidious in action; perhaps against the head of the Jedi Council, Mace Windu.

Yes, its been argued before that Sidious only commands people, and never takes things in his own hands, but this fight would be the ultimate suprise. To see Palpatine pull out two red sabres against Mace's purple would be an awesome sight.

That, and the Obi-wan vs. Anakin fight, :)

2. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    That would be an awesome fight. Mace vs. Sidious. I really don't think it will happen though.

3. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    I guess it really depends on how big of a character Mace will be in Episode 3. He can't be treated as a minor character but as part of the bigger cast. Then only will his death have the full emotional effect that Qui-Gon's did.

4. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    it would be nice to see why the entire galaxy actually fears palpatine. otherwise, he is just a face that controls vader.

5. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    I think it would look silly for him to use a lightsaber so he would probably resort to using the force and dark side lightning if he did fight. I agree though that he needs to fight so we can understand why everyone fears him.

6. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    A Sidious / Windu fight would be awesome. I doubt that it would happen though. :(

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The closest thing to Palpatine ever fighting will be Vader going against him in Return of the Jedi and tossing him down the shaft.

Since we've seen Master Yoda fight, I feel we should see Darth Sidious fight. There's too much mystery surrounding him. Something about him should be revealed where it pertains to his power in the Force.

8. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't think that Sidious/Palpatine necessarily have to prove that they are "powerful in the force" by shocking someone to death or using the force to kill someone. The mere fact that Palpatine is standing there right next to Yoda and Yoda doesn't know that Palpatine is a Sith Lord (Yoda may suspect something but I doubt he knows that Palp is a Sith Lord) speaks volumes about Palpatine's mastery of the force. That and the fact that he topples a Republic which has stood for 1000 years (or generations take your pick) is more impressive, to me, than Vader force chocking officers or Maul twirling his lightsaber around.

9. lightblade

lightblade Jedi Master

May 23, 2002
    I have a hard time imagining Sidious going at it in a standard lightsaber battle. He'd be probably be a cheap fighter, using Dark Side tricks to throw off the opponent, and then perhaps going in for the kill with his saber. Of course, this ability could be limited depending on who Sid is fighting (we all saw how Yoda could catch the lightning in the palm of his hand, after all. Still, it's hard for me to envision the Dark Lord in a lightsaber duel. But, a few years ago I'd have said the same of Yoda, so who knows?

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    *Should* we see Sidious fight?

I think we should see DS display his power with the dark side -- probably through manipulation or "knowledge of the force" (not necessarily lightning).

I don't think it would work right for him to "fight" Jedi-style as we saw Yoda in AOTC.

11. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    My answer is, no way. Save it for the final scene of the story. He should be unapproachable. In fact, it should be a matter of doubt until the last minute whether he can or will fight at all. As he climbs to the height of his power, he should need nothing more than to speak or gesture and watch his will be done.

12. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    No he should not fight and I don't think he will.

Luke_Clone is right with his reasoning. Palpatine is feared because he played everyone including the jedi and toppled the republic and the Jedi as well.

13. SW_Holiday_Special

SW_Holiday_Special Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    Yes we should see Sidious fight & he should have two double bladded lightsabers... okay maybe not :)

14. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    I don't think he will fight. It's all wishful thinking. We allready know his knowledge in the force extends far beyond everyone's to see so far into the future as he has and will do (OT.) And think about the prophecy, of the one who will bring balance to the force. It's why everyone was so stunned when Qui-gon first spoke of it, i mean, what exactly was there to balance? Oh! What's that?! THE most evil sith lord ever to live, then yes, please let this boy be the chosen one. Anakin was brought to the galaxy for one thing and one thing only, to fulfil the prophecy, he IS the chosen one, you must see it. But seriously, just that fact alone of anakin, the chosen one, brought into the galaxy to bring balance to the force lets me know that there is indeed something so evil that nothing BUT the prophecy could or would ever stop it.

If anything I think the Yoda vs. Dooku duel is this thread's only hope. I never thought in a million years that Yoda would have to resort to a lightsaber duel. I assumed that his knowledge and defense skills wouldn't ever allow such a confrontation to happen. It's just that one instance you need, when push comes to shove and a jedi's gotta do what a jedi's gotta do. But I'm still gonna say no on this one. Now with an ARMY of the REPUBLIC under his belt, a venerable jedi as his new Dark Lord of the Sith, and The Chosen One as his apprentice to be.... Let's face it, the guy is M.C. Hammer, "you can't touch this." The only fighting I think we WILL get to see from Sidious is of the mind, coaxing Anakin to sucumb to the dark side of the force. And up until RotJ, I dont think we will see him ever play with his back against the wall, he doesn't ever need to defend or attack because he's allready won. Besides the obvious when Luke Skywalker shines brighter than any other jedi and takes Sidious's temptations and shoves em'.

15. VADER123

VADER123 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    I THINK WE SHOULD AND WE WILL. JUST THINK WHAT WE SAW HIM DO IN ROTJ. IN THE LAST FILM THERE IS ALWAYS A BIG SURPRISE. THIS WILL BE BETTER THEN THE YODA FIGHT WITH DOOKU. I THINK WE WILL SE YODA FIGHT AND LOSE TO DARTH SIDIOUS. I WILL BE UPSET IF THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.

16. LordSinshine

LordSinshine Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    I said it before...here it is again.What if Palpatine kills Dooku?

Palpatine's ultimate plan is to gain the ultimate trust of the Republic and destroy the credibility (not to mention the lives) of the Jedi in order to slip in as Emperor.

Well what if Dooku is just another expendible pawn in Palpy's game. Palps really wants Anakin on his side as he knows how powerful Anakin has the potential to become. He only needs Dooku in order to start the war.

What if it seems that the Jedi are losing control and failing to maintain peace and then, when it seems that Dooku has conquered all, Palpy kills Dooku, in front of the remaining members of the senate and reveals that he is, in fact, all powerful and has been all along...thus gaining support from the senate members and turning the Republic into the Empire. Fear keeps the members of the Empire in check...keeps them loyal.

That would be a twist, huh?
    Think it could work?

I can just picture Dooku and his droids barging in on an emergency meeting of the senate (which Palps has organized on both sides). Dooku believes he is about to announce his victory during the final battle of the clone wars but instead Palpatine (who
    is dressed as Sidious) walks up behind him
    and kills Dooku. Both Dooku and the senate are stunned that some mysterious being has killed their enemy. Then Sidious takes center stage and pulls away his hood, revealing Palpatine and an all hail Palps
    chant begins (not literally). It is at this
    point where he announces that he will now be
    known as The Emperor.

What do you think?

17. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    No Sidious will not fight. He has hisown army and he has control of the senate, he gets others to do his dirty work.

Candidates some have pointed out:
    Mace Windu: *yawn* possibly Boba Fett more likely a combo of Anakin & Boba.

Dooku: HAS to be Anakin, getting rid of the Sith apprentice to take his place (paralleling ROTJ)

18. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Paralleling ROTJ would be too predictable. Lucas needs to come up with something new.

We don't see Darth Sidious in Episode IV, and only for 5 seconds in Episode V. We do see him in ROTJ for quite some time, but he is mostly commanding Darth Vader around and not getting into the action. He might have zapped Luke, but that is hardly showing the all mighty power of the Sith Master.

After seeing Yoda fight, I could picture that anything is possible. This is no wishful thinking. Darth Sidious fighting in Episode 3 could be a reality.

19. vadersith23

vadersith23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Hay that is my old screen name with the young obi wan picture. Well this is a fight that we should see and i think we will. The last movie to go down with a bang.!!!

20. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    LordSinshine

It is a little too dramatic for me but I like it. That idea is very original but I'm not quite sure if the delegates would clap for Palpatine or run and hide from him. I think Palpatine is already in power and such a display of physical power is not necessary. :)

21. vadersith23

vadersith23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    you people need to remember what yoda said in ROTJ. Do not under estimate the power of the emperor or suffer your father's faite you will.
    This alone would show that yoda has fought the emperor and lost to him, or saw the emperor fight anikan and did nothing to help him and let him almost die and turn into darth vader. I think yoda will fight the emperor in episode 3.

22. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Speaking of Palpy's fighting power. Anyone notice how his lightning is purple in ROTJ, but Dooku's is blue in AOTC. Is this just bad FX, or something else?

23. SW_Holiday_Special

SW_Holiday_Special Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    I think there's something wrong with your ROTJ copy. Last time I checked, Palpantine's lightning is blue.

24. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    Maybe, but I remember when I bought it, the first time I watched it, it looked purple.

25. Thyrsan4Blood

Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Sidious should not pick up a lightsaber. I think that would undermine his power. He's the strongest Force user in the galaxy, and him having to resort to a lightsaber is cheap, since it'd be like he's playing down to his opponent's level.

Yes I'd love to see Sidious kill someone, but it's not necessary. We don't NEED to see Sidious' power in order to understand it. We know he's smarter and more cunning than anybody else in the galaxy, and that enhances his force power ten times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.