main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania So I suppose we should talk about the US election, eh?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by CCD, Jan 5, 2008.

?

So I suppose we should talk about the US election, eh?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Barack Obama

58.8%
  2. Hillary Clinton

23.5%
  3. John Edwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other Democrat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mike Huckabee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mitt Romney

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. John McCain

5.9%
  8. Rudy Giuliani

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other Republican

11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    If you can summon enough enthusiasm, please vote for your preferred candidate.

A few thoughts: astoundingly, my preference is now for Barack Obama. Perhaps I am naive, but he actually sounds like he gives a stuff and is not simply running a calculating political machine for the purposes of assuming high power *cough*Hillary*cough*. YouTube his 2004 Democratic convention address. Plus he doesn't have any of the baggage of the past, like many other candidates. His only real drawback is his inexperience, but really, if you have a good team who cares? He may also have some kooky left wing views, but these are normally put aside when in office (see Clinton's first term).

The other main contenders, imo, are Clinton, Giuliani, and McCain. Clinton is too old and unliked, Giuliani's sole campaign slogan is '9/11', and McCain is sadly too old (otherwise he'd be my first preference).

So there you go. My fearless prediction is Obama in November. Is America ready to vote for a black president called Barack Hussein Obama? To my mind that's what America is all about, so I hope so.

2. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    RE: So I suppose we should talk about the US election, eh?

nope

moving on

3. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Other Republican: Ron Paul

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm glad he isn't on the list, considering he a) doesn't really have much of a chance, and b) would make an awful President. I'm all for libertarianism, but E_S gets some credit for confirming my suspicions that his economic ideas aren't all that great.

Edit: oh, and the same rules from the Australian election thread apply here - if you can't discuss nicely, discuss elsewhere. ;)

5. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
  6. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I voted Barack Obama. I don't pretend to know too much about American politics, but from what I've seen the Democarats are probably more on odds to win (depending on candidate of course) and of those Obama strikes me as being the best. :)

Out of the Republican candidates John McCain looks probably the best shot for them. I've been reading a bit about Mike Huckabee who recently won Iowa but I don't think he'll make it long term. The rest don't impress me that much.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Voted for Osama. Er, Obama. :D

8. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
  9. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    So, you think that the private "Federal" Reserve is a good thing? :confused:

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I don't have a background in economics, so I'm definitely not the best person to debate this with (and the last thing I want is for this thread to turn into yet another RP fangasm debate thread), but...compared to a gold-backed currency, yes. Being able to control inflation is critical and, from what I understand at least, that is better managed with fiat currency.

Moving back to actual viable candidates, I'm torn between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. I'm not even sure it matters in terms of their chances of winning as much as their party unifying behind whichever candidate gets nominated. Same goes with the Republicans, but I think McCain will probably win that one.

11. The_Eighth_Cortex

The_Eighth_Cortex Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    Something about Hillary just doesn't resonate well, she's too crafted and purposeful, and seems to put forward a "I should be President so here are some electable policy positions" type facade rather than "here are some good policy ideas so please elect me President".

I wouldn't complain if we had the first female leader of the free world, I think it an important milestone, I'm just not sure Hilary is the right women at the right time.

I've read most of Obama's novels and been catching up on a lot of his stump speeches, and although it's been condensed down for campaigning, the core enthusiasm is still there. He's a man whose genuinely lived the American story and seen the rust at the grassroots of the greatest nation on earth: from the projects of Chicago to to the erudite surrounds of NYU, he's been through the gamut of experiences that sum up the diverse "American" citizenry.

What's more, he has that Kennedy way about him, he can truly capture the hearts and minds of a population suffering from War fatigue, a fragile, recessionary economy and decades of failures in Washington. Failures of accountability, failures of integrity, failures of basic governance.

The biggest gripe about him is his lack of senatorial experience, but I think he more than makes up for that in life experience and importantly, vision.

If America is to bounce back and remain the greatest nation on Earth, they need to move mountains. And if history tells us one things, it's that when the United States has a leader who helps the people dream big, they succeed big.

At the end of the day however, as long as it's not Mister "Iowa's not important, 9/11 is important", I'd be happy. :)

12. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Rudy for VP! [face_flag]

13. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    During times of war the masses would rarely support a female leader

14. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I Like McCain the most - but he is getting on with age now

2nd and 3rd preferences for me are Clinton and Obama

15. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Hilary was pulling the strings when Bill was in! I don't want her back in office

16. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Whenever I read or hear the name 'Clinton' I can't help but remember the 1996 Treehouse of Horror, where Kang and Kodos replace Bill Clinton and Bob Dole and Presidential candidates, and the hilarious way they said "Clin-ton"... ah the memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.