main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT so now that disney get SW, will we see Blu-Ray of the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by almozayaf, Jan 20, 2013.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Actually, yeah-there's been a fair number of posters here who've said they had no idea who Anakin was supposed to be.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Because he wasn't in his twenties?

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not really, just that he had no idea who he was. Which is kind of a big deal whether he's in his twenties or not if you ask me. :p

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It would have been better if they just replaced Shaw altogether with a burnt to a crisp, limbless old man.

5. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Alexrd Well I don't think it would made much difference watching them in DVD or Blue Ray. We are talking about films made in the 70' and 80. I am not at all convinced that the BR format can significantly improve the resolution and 'quality' of the CT. That's my opinion.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It doesn't so much 'improve' it as move it closer to actual theatre resolution. 35mm is about '3200p' in digital terms or so; Blu-Ray is about a third of that, and DVD/VHS are even less. The 4K edition (whenever that arrives) will be able to be a match for what we you get with theatre projection-although of course it'll depend on your TV and stuff.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's not a matter of opinion. Film has higher resolution that DVD and Blu-ray (these are just containers). With a proper restoration, you can get excellent picture quality. Take a look at the Blu-ray releases of Ben-Hur and Lawerence of Arabia.

BoromirsFan and DarthBoba like this.
  8. P.Sam

May 31, 2011
    You're right, films have higher resolutions than their actual format on which they're made available right now. Sorry but I am not yet convinced of the significant superiority of the BR over the DVD format. I don't think it is such an improvement of quality one over the other for now. That's why I am saying the DVDs of the CT still matter and do the job as it should. And it's not like the OT si not already available in BR. I think in the end, it comes down to a matter of opinion. :)

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It provides much higher resolution than DVD without loss of picture quality. How is it not a significant superiority? You may not deem it relevant, but that doesn't make it any less significant.

First, the DVD release of the O-OT are letterboxed, which makes them bad by default. And second, they are using the Laserdisc transfer. Again, it's not a matter of opinion that they still matter and do the job. The job is to show the best picture quality on that format, and they don't.

The Special Edition is. The original version isn't.

No, it doesn't.

10. P.Sam

May 31, 2011
    That's your view and I respect it. But indeed it seems that I see things on this subject differently than you do.

Have a nice day. :)

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not arguing that you should view Blu-ray as a necessity, or that DVD is not good enough for you. The fact is that there is a difference in quality between them, wether people need it or not.

12. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    I would hope they do relase the un altered OT soon cause that was my childhood not the Special Edition.