main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Oh, wow. That looks awesome! =D=

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    and it is beautiful=D==D==D= Waiting for the finished artwork

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Beautiful! =D=

Mind giving me some of your talent? [face_batting]

[face_laugh]

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That is beautifully drawn! =D= I love how you captured their expressions and gestures.

I can't wait to see how the finished version turns out and also the other two you are planning to do. :)

5. lavo

lavo Jedi Master

Jul 26, 2006
    Solo29! Blimey it's been a while, but I'm so glad to be back. Your work, as always, is beautiful and progressing amazingly. The blue line cards (I feel reluctant to call them 'sketch' cards) are brilliant and I can't wait to see how 'Night on Bespin' turns out.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks so much for the kind comments, everyone! Again, it's truly appreciated! :)

I would like to apologize in the gap in posting, but it's been one hectic month. I finally got around to finishing the series of pieces I've been working on and I'll start tonight with the completed version of "A Night on Bespin."

This is my first all digital piece done in Photoshop. I only did the initial sketch in graphite(which I then scanned into the computer). Everything else was done entirely in the computer. It took a heck of a long time(I can't narrow it down to hours, so I'll just say weeks) and it did get tedious in spots, but I think the final is more than worth it:

A Night on Bespin

Enjoy!

I also have WIP images of the process if anyone is interested. :)

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    It is lovely and yes let us see the WIP. Always interested in that being an old fashioned paper and board painter

8. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Wow! very beautiful! I hear ya when it comes to tedious parts of a drawing, but its well worth the time spent on this piece.

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Ohhhhh...I just dropped by with a few spare minutes tonight, and saw you had an update--OMG!! =D==D= What a fantastic painting: the cityscape behind them is luscious, with such pretty light and detailing; but it's not so much that it detracts from the foreground characters, which are soooooo beautiful! I always imagined them having some moments like this on Bespin...before all-holy-Sith broke loose, that is...and this is such a perfect illustration of such a moment! Just yummy contrasts, light and depth--LOVE IT! =D==D=

Glad to hear the auction went well, too--congrats on that! [:D]

FF

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Nice! The cloth-folds on Han's jacket are especially awesome.

11. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    :eek: Wow, that's amazing! =D= (as is all your work ;) ) You've got talent, that's for sure. @};- [:D]

12. shemightbedani

shemightbedani Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2010
    OOooooo :D That is gorgeous! I love the lighting you used too =)

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you! I always found it interesting to see WIP images as well, that's why I figured I'd ask. I will have all the ones I've collected throughout the process posted at the end of this post. Enjoy! :)

TheOnlyJediPrincess: Thanks for dropping by! Ugh, tedious doesn't even begin to describe some parts. I've spent 3 days on Han's jacket alone. It was rough. [face_tired]

FalconFan: Glad to see you back again, Deb! You are sorely missed around these parts! [:D]

The buildings were quite difficult to pull off! That was the first time I've ever drawn anything freely using just my tablet and Photoshop. I was a little unsure in spots, but overall, I'm glad to hear that I was able to pull off the look I was going for! Thanks again for the kind comments! They're truly appreciated! And you must drop by more often!

soits: Thank you! :)

dancing_star: Aww, thank you! [face_blush] Must appreciated!

shemightbedani: Thanks! I was hoping to go for more of a night scene. I hope I was able to pull that off!

Since there seems to be some interest in the process of my last piece, I've decided to post some WIP images from "A Night on Bespin" that I've collected over the past couple of weeks. If you have any questions about what you see, feel free to ask!

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/hl-buildings.jpg]WIP#1[/link] - outline of buildings in place and rendering of them begins

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/hl-buildings2.jpg]WIP#2[/link] - the rendering of the buildings continue

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/hl-buildingscomplete.jpg]WIP#3[/link] - buildings complete; work on Leia begins

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/han-leia-wip-mar09copy.jpg]WIP#4[/link] - flesh tones complete and sketch layer is removed

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/sswanger-nightonbespin-final.jpg]Final[/link] - the final piece with everything in place

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to see the work in progres and almost the same as doing oils or watercolours. With oils you can leave the graphite drawing but with watercolours you can remove it. And in the WIP I can imagine how difficult some parts are.
    And maybe I will try digital artwork in the future.

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I am not the person for digital art, dear Han, but you are a true inspiration. Great stuff, full of emotions and light & shadow games.

Thanks for showing us the process!

[:D]

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Stunning work on your first completely digital piece! =D= =D=

Great composition. The buildings look excellent, love how you see the nature of the light coming out of some of those openings and also the outer glow on the clouds.

Han and Leia looks beautiful. You've captured their emotion perfectly. The tones, the clothing and hair are superbly done. :)

I can't wait to see what comes next! :D

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all!

It's been a very long time since my last update, but I've been super busy! I've had a lot of exciting things happen over the past couple of months, including an official gig working for Topps on Star Wars Galaxy 6 Sketch Cards! I am so stoked to be a part of SW on an official level and I just got confirmation to post a preview of some of my cards. So, here we go:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Misc%20Art/sswanger-sw6-07-1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Misc%20Art/sswanger-sw6-06-1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Misc%20Art/sswanger-sw6-05-1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Misc%20Art/sswanger-sw6-04-1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Misc%20Art/sswanger-sw6-03-1.jpg]

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    the details and likeness WOW, fantastic=D==D==D=

19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh wow! Congratulations on becoming Official!

This is just beautiful the work you had put into these cards. It is great to see a few Corellians in there and some Rogues too. I can't wait to see more. :)

20. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    If we need to wait so long for such dreamlike work pieces it is worthwhile.

[face_love]

21. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    These are gorgeous... can't believe I missed them when you posted them, argh! Really nice work, I love what you've done here, especially with the EU characters! I really like Jaina. But the others are great as well, of course!

22. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Congrats! How awesome it must be to officially be part of Star Wars!

These are really lovely.
    My favorites are Tahiri and Jaina, I have to admit.

All of them are great, though.

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you so much, everyone! You're all really great and I appreciate all the kind words! [:D]

I'm still dabbing in the world of sketch cards and in-between sets, I've been creating several PSCs(personal sketch cards) and messing around in color in an effort to improve myself in that area. I've noticed that a majority of my sketch cards are black and white and I would love to get my color works up to the same level as my black and white studies. So, without further ado, here are some pieces I managed to crank out in the past few days. More like them will be on the way soon:

ROTJ Luke Skywalker

ROTJ Han Solo

Enjoy!

Also, if you have any characters you would like to see, let me know! :)

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    beautiful and a nice use of colours.

What are you using?

25. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    They turned out really well! My only quibble with the Luke one is that I think you might've overdone the colours a little... the contrast seems a little too high, if that makes sense? But that's definitely harder to get right with colour than with greyscale. And Han looks a little stretched, but immediately recognisable. I really like the colours in that one. Overall they turned out great! Keep it up! =D=