main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Apologies for missing the previous update! [face_blush] (Though, it was quite a bit less worrying for me to read about Obi-Wan starting to fall sick and then getting better in the next post. :) ) Nyla really summed it up when she said that Obi-Wan's two families are beginning to come together - now, if only the media can see that instead of viewing them as two opposing sides!

Great update! =D=

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Yeah, just read this on the other board, but have to comment here too....loved the warm, loving care Obi-Wan is receiving from both his families...and love that they are uniting and cooperating...that couldn't be better for Obi-Wan...

And I'm hoping will be a help later when more trouble comes to Obi and his family (As was hinted a couple chapters ago - [face_worried] )

Loved this...=D=

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Sometimes sickness brings out the best of people. They are getting closer to their 'Ben'

Poor Obi-Wan is sick and his master is so far away.

A very good chapter.=D=

4. AZURASKYE

AZURASKYE Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2007
    Update soon?

5. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Yeah, what she said...[face_whistling]

6. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot: Ah?what a nice sense of (blending) families in this chapter. SO happy, as usual, to see an update.

The Abrams are figuring things out in regard to what Obi-Wan needs, and how far they are willing to go in order to have a place in his life.

Valiowk: Apologies for missing the previous update! (Though, it was quite a bit less worrying for me to read about Obi-Wan starting to fall sick and then getting better in the next post.) Nyla really summed it up when she said that Obi-Wan?s two families are beginning to come together ? now, if only the media can see that instead of viewing them as two opposing sides!

No problem about missing an update; life happens! :) Obi-Wan isn?t all the way better yet. He?s recovering but he?s still out of action for the time being. As for the media, don?t forget that the Abrams and the Jedi have yet to make a formal statement that would indicate the truce they?re making between them. ;)

obimom: Yeah, just read this on the other board, but have to comment here too?loved the warm, loving care Obi-Wan is receiving from both his families?and love that they are uniting and cooperating?that couldn?t be better for Obi-Wan?

It?s sad that it sometimes something like this to bring two opposing fractions together. Their love and affection for Obi-Wan is aiding them in setting aside their differences in order to do what is best for him, and that is getting him well. And in the long run, it will benefit Obi-Wan. ;)

And I?m hoping will be a help later when more trouble comes to Obi and his family (As was hinted a couple chapter ago)

Hinted at but not forgotten. [face_whistling]

Gkilkenny: Sometimes sickness brings out the best of people. They are getting closer to their ?Ben?. Poor Obi-Wan is sick and his master is so far away.

Yes it does. All they want is for him to get better and will do whatever it takes to help him. :) Qui-Gon may make an appearance soon; however, the muse is going back and forth on that right now. In the meantime, Obi-Wan is rediscovering the bond he had with Jace when he was younger. His older brother is a great substitute in his opinion at the moment.

AZURASKYE: Update soon?

Coming right up! ;) Sorry I?ve been awol here lately.

obimom: Yeah, what she said?

Coming right up! :)

Author?s Note: A commonly asked question is: How long has Obi-Wan been with the Abrams family? Well, our favorite padawan has been with his biological family for the past three and a half months now. Going by the court order, he has approximately two and a half months to go before they reconvene with the Judge to determine whether or not the Abrams will have permanent custody of their son. Hope that answers the question! :)

Not much happens in this chapter. It?s one of those transition sections that need to be written every so often. :) Hope you enjoy anyway!

Chapter 33

The next morning, Anen busied herself in the kitchen fixing first meal for her family. Having checked on Obi-Wan, she found the teen restlessly asleep. Jace had explained the disquiet as the younger?s fever having risen once again but not to the alarming degree it had been overnight. Rinsing her hands, she pulled the plates from the cupboard and set about filling them before placing them on a carrier. Setting the patio table and arranging the covered plates on the tabletop, she went back indoors to fetch the family from their middle son?s room.

Knocking lightly to gain the occupant?s attentions, Anen announced, ?Breakfast is out on the patio this morning.? When everyone merely glanced in her direction and then refocused on their previous activity, she clapped her hands once to gain their attention and then ordered, her voice firm but low as to not wake Obi-Wan, ?Move it! You won?t do him any

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

?Not that I don?t appreciate your company, Ale, but when is Jace coming back??

The physician noticed the childlike innocence that had wrapped itself around the question like a security blanket.

THAT is painting a picture with words - just love the phrase. And the chapter.

Brothers! I have one, too. Wanted to give him away - no one would take him.

8. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    "Not much happens" is sometimes a blessing - a rare opportunity to take a break after a busy period. :)

Same here. :D

9. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Brotherly love, Jace is being the brother to Obi-Wan that he missed out on being.

It would have been funny trying to fit everyone into Obi-Wan's room.[face_laugh]

=D=

10. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    So happy to see an update.

Loved the caring of Obi's family for him, and especially Jace's concern for him...the big brotherly instincts wanting to take care of his little brother...nice...[face_love]

Well worth the wait, can't wait for more...=D=

11. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot: THAT is painting a picture with words ? just love the phrase. And the chapter. Brothers! I have one, too. Wanted to give him away ? no one would take him.

Thanks! I wish I could write more sentences like that. As for brothers, I?ve got two. I wouldn?t trade the eldest for anything but the youngest?. o_O

Valiowk: ?Not much happens? is sometimes a blessing ? a rare opportunity to take a break after a busy period.

Taking a break is definitely nice now and then. But then again, not much happens in this chapter either, other than Obi-Wan is beginning to mend. ;)

Gkilkenny: Brotherly love, Jace is being the brother to Obi-Wan that he missed out on being.

Jace?s big brother instincts have kicked in regardless of his plan to stay neutral and allow Obi-Wan to set the pace on his integration back into the family. :)

obimom: So happy to see an update. Loved the caring of Obi?s family for him, and especially Jace?s concern for him?the big brotherly instincts wanting to take care of his little brother?nice?

Thanks! I wish I could get a post completed more often, but my desire to write is currently battling with interruptions. :( Seeing his younger brother ill has caused Jace to forgo his plan of staying on the sidelines and giving his brother space. He feels the need to step up and be the protective older brother Obi-Wan needed so long ago.

Author Note: Don?t you just love these? :p Anyways, I just want to thank everyone so much for continuing to read and reply. I appreciate it very much. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! [face_chicken] (No turkey, so we get a chicken!)

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 34

Jace sat back with his feet propped up, a data pad and text reader in hand. For the last few hours his concentration was split between watching over his younger brother and completing the class assignments he had missed the last few days. His instructors had understood when he explained his absence?well, all but one instructor that is. The one that was less than accommodating at the present time taught the one course Jace could care less about. He figured if he didn?t pass he would just retake it the following term with a different lecturer.

Focused on an assignment, he almost didn?t notice the movement on the bed. Removing his feet from the edge of the mattress, he sat up and placing his things on the bedside table, he leaned forward, waiting to see if his brother would wake.

?Obi-Wan??

Eyes still closed, Obi-Wan swallowed the bile he could feel rising in his throat. His stomach churned as it accepted the foul spew only to attempt to rid itself a second later. Blue-grey eyes shot open in panic. The padawan tried to remove the covers that tangled him to the bed, his frantic motions catching the attention of his elder brother and the attending physician. Kicking out to loosen the fabric around his legs and feet, he attempted to swing his legs over the edge only to be blocked by the older youth.

Understanding what was happening, Jace grabbed the waste can stationed nearby. Grabbing hold of his brother?s arm, he halted the teen?s retreat while rolling him on his side to lean over the edge of the bed, glad of Ale?s assistance. Together they managed to position the padawan in such a way that when his stomach expelled its contents, the waste can catching the spew.

Half draped over the side of the bed, Obi-Wan took a much needed breath, spitting several times into the basket before rolling onto his back and accepting help in rinsing out his mouth. The padawan leaned back and met Ale?s studious gaze.

?It hurts,? the teen whispered.

The physician raised an eyebrow. ?Where does it hurt??

?Everywhere.?

Ale gently probed the youth with the force. ?Can you pinpoint a particular area??

?No,? the teen moaned softly. His body was telling him something was w

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    =D= An update! [face_dancing]

Yeah, the tough part is coming.

Jace is so good to Obi-Wan - and Qui-Gon's appearance! [face_dancing] Love that you've updated.

13. Shira_Adola

Shira_Adola Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I just found this and I've been hooked from the first entry. This is a fantastic story. I'm only on page six, but I have a feeling I'm going to be up very late tonight...

EDIT: Ok, so this is definitely one of the favorite stories that I've read. I was pretty upset when there wasn't anything left to read, so update quickly please!!! And add me to the PM list as well! [face_love]

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Obi-Wan has plenty of people around him that care. It is going to be hard for him to choose which life he wants.

Thanks for the update bek.[:D]

15. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot: Jace is so good to Obi-Wan ? and Qui-Gon?s appearance! Love that you?ve updated.

Jace is making up for lost time. ;) He?s beginning to feel comfortable in taking up his role as older brother to Obi-Wan.

I was hoping to update more, but another fandom has caught my interest and I?ve been spending a lot of time there. I haven?t forgotten this fic, Obi-Wan won?t let me. :p Anyhow, I hope to have another up soon. Thanks so much for sticking with it. I appreciate it very much! :)

Shira_Adola: I just found this and I?ve been hooked from the first entry. This is a fantastic story. I?m only on page six, but I have a feeling I?m going to be up very late tonight?

Welcome to the thread! :) I?m glad you?re enjoying it, it?s been fun to write. I hope the story continues to keep your interest. I can remember pulling all-nighters when I found a story I really enjoyed. Still do on occasion.

EDIT: Ok, so this is definitely one of the favorite stories that I?ve read. I was pretty upset when there wasn?t anything left to read, so update quickly please!!! And add me to the PM list as well!

Thank you! [face_blush] The next chapter is coming right up. And I?d be happy to add you to the PM list.

Gkilkenny: Obi-Wan has plenty of people around him that care. It is going to be hard for him to choose which life he wants.

He?s a lucky guy to have two families that care so much about him. Obi-Wan still feels as though the Temple is home. But you?re right, he is going to eventually have to choose or have the court choose for him. Question is, if he chooses one, will concessions be made to allow the other a place in his life? [face_thinking]

Author?s Note: Obi-Wan may or may not be out of character in this post. Keep in mind he?s a teenager who?s had his life turned upside down, who?s been trying to reconcile two sides of the same coin, who?s been sick and is of course still a teenager. And, he?s living in a home where his actions are not reprimanded if he doesn?t behave as a Jedi. So, given the above, a trying, mischievous, agitated teen may just come into play here. ;)

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 35

[Three weeks after Obi-Wan first became ill]

Rayfe and Trae sat in the former?s office speaking quietly about the meeting they had just left when Mr. Hefler knocked and entered the room. Rubbing a hand across his face in hopes of erasing the frustration he felt, Rayfe recapped, ?Yosef, I?ve already given you my answer in response to the proposal. I can?t in good conscience agree to the proposition. So if you?re here to persuade me, you?re wasting your time.?

Yosef stepped further into the room. ?I understand your concerns. Tarmas? society has grown tremendously over the last hundred years and runs efficiently if not somewhat cautiously with the leadership in place,? the governor assured and then continued, ?however, things are changing, I?m sure you?ve notice. It?s only sensible that the regime evolve with it.?

Trae looked at their friend incredulously. ?You want this bill to pass,? a statement, not a question.

?After reading and thoroughly researching the measure, I?ve come to the conclusion that it would be in the best interest of Tarmas to revert back to its origins, so yes, I am for it,? Sef explained.

?The populace has voiced their opposition to that idea. They like the security being part of the Republic provides them.? Rayfe replied, trying to keep the agitation out of his voice and not altogether succeeding. ?I would never have thought you?d be pulled into this, Sef. You have been a leading supporter of Tarmas, keeping the freedoms we?ve come to know. Why the change??

?The balances instilled in the current administration are there to keep Tarmas from tyranny. If we regress, that is exactly what it will become, led by one family, one man,? Trae added. ?How can that be in the best interest of the populatio

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Poor Obi-Wan, hating to be still...great to see you back! We can't lose you to another fandom - will you take bribes? [face_praying]

17. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    A restless Obi-Wan eh? Perish the thought!!

Great writing Bek, can't wait to read more.

And thanks for the PM :)

18. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Oh, it's going to be a busy time for Rayfe, juggling dealing with political schemes and a restless boy! :)

19. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Great to see an update bek, Obi-Wan needs to meditate and calm himself and there seems to be trouble brewing elsewhere.

Glad to have you back.=D=

20. Shira_Adola

Feb 15, 2011
    Nah, I think that's perfectly in character, well done. I'm glad that Ale and Jace aren't gonna take any of his excuses XD. And I agree with Gkilkenny, he needs to remember his Jedi training and meditate.

21. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Poor Obi-Wan, hating to be still...

He definitely wants to get moving again. :)

Great to see you back! We can't lose you to another fandom - will you take bribes?

Thank you! :) I admit that when I started moonlighting at the other fandom, Star Wars began to not hold my interest like it used to?however, I think a balance has been struck somewhere because I?m finding myself floating between the two.

EGKenobi A restless Obi-Wan eh? Perish the thought!!

He does like to keep active, doesn?t he? :p

Great writing Bek, can't wait to read more.

Thanks so much! I really needed these words of encouragement.

And thanks for the PM :)

You?re very welcome! :)

Valiowk Oh, it's going to be a busy time for Rayfe, juggling dealing with political schemes and a restless boy!

He?s had his hands full! It?s a good thing he has Jace to help him out. ;)

Gkilkenny Great to see an update bek, Obi-Wan needs to meditate and calm himself and there seems to be trouble brewing elsewhere.

Obi-Wan does remember his Jedi Training; he?s just choosing not to call on that discipline at this time.

Glad to have you back.

Thank you! :)

Shira_Adola Nah, I think that's perfectly in character, well done. I'm glad that Ale and Jace aren't gonna take any of his excuses XD. And I agree with Gkilkenny, he needs to remember his Jedi training and meditate.

Thanks. Obi is learning what it?s like to be a civilian without the rigid training/discipline he?s lived with for most of his life. We?ll have to see if he comes back around to it or if he?s perhaps drifting away from it. Hmmm?.that?s a direction I hadn?t thought of? [face_thinking]

Author?s Note: Hey everyone! I received a note from a reader who thinks this story is stagnating due to the fact that no action is occurring. If anyone else feels that way, I apologize, but the story needs to be written in its due course. I think jumping ahead too soon would cause confusion as Obi-Wan is trying to work things out in his mind as well as his heart. Coupled with his Jedi training and the memories he?s regaining every day, he?s seeking a balance within himself. He needs to experience things to do this: good, bad or inconvenient.

On another note, another reader felt that everyone is getting along too well. I would sincerely hope that a child in the situation of having two homes to visit, so to speak, would have adults that would be willing to set aside their differences to put that?s child?s well-being above their own wants and desires. That is all I was going for with the Abrams and the Jedi. They may appear to be getting on well, but that doesn?t mean there still isn?t some resentment or other feelings lying underneath. They?ve just decided that Obi-Wan/Ben is more important.

Having said that, I sincerely hope you all continue to enjoy the story. Thank you all for reading and for leaving your comments. I appreciate each and every one of you! @};-

Chapter 36

?So, what?s the verdict??

Healer Alejandro took his time looking over the test results as his patient practically bounced in place. A firm hand came down upon the boy?s shoulders stopping the movement, causing the physician to bite back a grin when he saw the shadow of a pout appear around the edges of the teen?s lips.

When Obi-Wan tilted his head back to look up at his mentor, he was met with one raised eyebrow and a stern visage. Knowing what that look meant, he took a deep breath and settled himself to wait calmly. Setting the data pad aside, Ale glanced at the assembly before him. The Abrams, Obi-Wan and Master Jinn awaited his decision as to whether the Padawan would be discharged from the doctor?s care.

?His test results are better than I expected given what we?ve dealt with in regard to keeping him stagnant d

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I speak for myself, but this story has plenty of action - characterization action and does not need to go faster or slower. Of course, I'm the person often accused of going nowhere slowly myself, so what do I know - ignore my opinion if you want. But I like the pace.

23. Shira_Adola

Feb 15, 2011
    Another update! I hope you know that once I start reading one of these chapters, I can't stop grinning. People give me funny looks[face_whistling] As for the pace, I think it's perfect. Not too fast and not too slow. No offense to who wrote those posts, but I don't know what they were talking about.

I love the quips between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I know what decision I want him to make.:D And I swear it would be for the good of everyone involved!

Val, hush. I like your stories[:D]

Very good chapter, bek. I guess the trip was inevitable, but I didn't see it coming. Do you accept bribes for sooner postings?

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    A trip to Tarmas with Trae, Alys and Garen is a wonderful plan - Obi-Wan is finally able to meet the rest of the family while being with another Jedi, so that he doesn't feel that he's drifting away from the Jedi while making this visit. It's also a great opportunity for Garen to understand what it means to know one's family and be able to be a better source of advice and support for Obi-Wan in future.

With regard to pacing, I think the pacing is just fine. As Valairy said, there is lots of characterisation going on, and the scene is being set for some tense moments ahead. At this point in the story what Obi-Wan needs most is some downtime to recover, and that's exactly what we're reading about. :)

25. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

We all have to take time to get our stories just right and I'm loving the way this is going.

Being around a new family would be like stepping on egg shells not sure how to be.
    A very difficult situation for any child to be in.

Yes it would be very confusing to be two people in a way. He loves both lives, but evil lurks.
    But with Garen with him he will have a better chance if they try to kidnap him again.

At least Garen senses when his Force signature is out of whack.

Great work bek.

=D=