main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    instantdeath :
    It's been a while since I read it, but I enjoyed it too. I especially enjoyed the parts about the very young Luke Skywalker. We haven't had much about Luke's early years, so I really like it when authors give us a little glimpse into Luke's childhood/early teens.

I liked that too.

And it makes sense that it would, given Luke's special Skywalker class Force potential. It's actually surprising that Luke didn't seem to manifest it all that much in his early life, but maybe one needs to be formally taught in order to truly "awaken" that Force potential?

Well, I would say that Luke has lived a GOOD life, doing his best to help and protect others and the galaxy; always willing to give of himself and always trying to do the right thing. As you said, Luke has accomplished much. I would just say that life hasn't seemed to be a very "happy", peaceful life for Luke. I think Owen would be proud of the man that Luke became.

Tim Battershell:
    The problem with that though is, those tons of SW filmgoes who haven't read the EU and who haven't watched the Clone Wars shows (I'm one of the latter.), will have absolutely NO idea what is going on. It will be so far removed from what happened in either of the two previous trilogies, and I think an awful lot of explanation would be needed for it to make any sense at all. I don't think I would like this scenerio at all.

And would Luke or Leia or both of them want to sit on this throne for who knows how long? I just can't see an action-oriented character like Luke stuck on this world doing pretty much nothing.

kataja:
    What do you mean by this?

I can understand how your *take* can keep changing. I think that sometimes I think they wouldn't want to completely trample the EU and disappoint everyone. Other times, I think that they won't care about what's in the EU at all and just write the story they want to tell.

What you wrote as your "hope" is still a possibility at this point. We just don't know...

If they go with this, we will likely get all new stories that will be published that will take place between Episodes VI and VII. Like you though, I too hope we will still somehow get to see that Luke and Mara married.

That would work for me too!

That's sort of the way I feel about it too.

And like you, I don't want to see Luke spend an eternity sitting around balancing the Force. I'd much prefer that he get his "happily ever after" with Mara in Jedi Heaven!

Jedi Ben:
    LOL! Yes, little boys (and sometimes big ones too) seem to like seeing things go "BOOM"!

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's that Cow, yeah, but cooler stuff was:

Opening bit - 3 Star Destroyers, an Imperial Shuttle and a half-built Death Star
    Speeder bike chase
    The en masse TIE Interceptor attack
    The Death Star tunnels - even 30 years later, that sequence still holds its own despite all the SFX advances.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    sigh it's been hard to catch up over due to making up assignments after Sandy.

-I remember in one of the Last of the Jedi books(right after ROTS) Obi-wan noticed when Luke was a "Skycrawler":p he used the Force to slow down a ball as he was trying to get at. He also in ESB recalled either Yoda's prescense(maybe due to Yoda being around his birth) or perhaps he had a vision of Dagobah. Luke in his younger years relied on his "instincts" as a pilot when piloting the T-16 Skyhopper and there was the Star Wars Tale issue where he kills a Krayt Dragon at 10 years old....although I dunno if it was an "Infinities" story, it was a great story though. I recommend reading it if at all possible. Luke gets lost, and meets up a vision of his father at 9 years old. They have some great dialogue moments on how they didn't know their fathers.

-as for ROTJ, It's my favorite movie out of the saga for all the scenes, from Luke taking out the Rancor, The Sail Barge, Luke's final conversation with Yoda, The Speeder bike chase(I love it when Luke owns the speeder bike), Luke levitating 3P0, Luke's talk with his sister, The Battle of Endor, and everything with the duel between Father and Son. But the first scene is where we "Enter the Jedi" and see Luke as a true jedi(apprentice) as Luke easily walks in the massive door(how did he convince the guard to let him in ?), Force grips/disables out the two gammeroan guards with a gesture, mind tricks Bib Fortuna to do his bidding, and passive aggressively threatens Jabba to let his friends go. I think that scene alone screams that Luke has become a bad@$$, and is probably one of the most memorable scenes for me :cool:

-also Leia's metal bikini didn't hurt the movie either ;)

- going to reread DE again but haven't had time to get to it, I wanna read DN again as well. Have we got any confirmation if the movies will change the EU ?

- Got to hear Hamill being more direct on if he will be in the new movies or not, ironically he's more easygoing about it than I thought. "And really, they're not even at the stage where they're able to answer those questions because, as far as I know, is there a story yet? Until I know more about what they have in mind, I think it's better to let Lucas Film make the announcements." Hamill was then asked about the possibility of another actor taking over the role - perhaps playing a slightly younger version of the character. "If they were going to do a story where Luke was too young or too old for me to play, they would get an age appropriate actor," he said. "There's so many good people."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=70581

kataja likes this.
  4. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Greetings all SOSers. I haven't posted in this new thread since the move. I'm rereading my post-ROTJ lit. and just wanted to pop in here and say that one of my favorite Luke characterizations is in Shadows of Mindor. Luke is portrayed as having access to great power yet it seems he not only doesn't like it but doesn't really want it either. However when lives are at stake he grits his teeth and uses it.

I also want to add that I'm very worried about this new ST coming: 1 part I don't want all the EU I've collected to be deemed Infinities and 2 parts I'm really worried Luke will die in Ep7. Honestly if they keep with the traditions of the saga I don't see how he can't die like Qui-gon and Obi-wan before him. Now don't get me wrongo I would not want to see a main numbered SW movie without Luke, I'm just sayin'.....

5. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    While on a skiff above the Sarlacc: "Jabba! This is your last chance. Free us or die!"

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Welcome Darth Foo, I think most of us if not all of us over loved Mindor, spot on Luke characterization and great story. I love Luke's line which oddly is similar to Banner's in Avengers. "I hope you never see my best trick."-Luke. Also I loved how Cronal characterizes Luke's power of destruction being beyond a Death Star.

I'll raise your "Free us or die!" with a "You can either profit from this or be destroyed but I warn you don't underestimate my power."

7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben :
    Ah! I see! Yes, I can see how all of that would appeal to a 7 year old boy!

MasterSkywalker86: -
    Awwwww! How cute! ;)

That sounds like a great story! I don't think I've ever read it!

Nope! Definitely didn't read that one! It sounds like it must be an infinities story though, because when he was 10 years old, his father was terrorizing the galaxy as Darth Vader. That must have been before TESB, when the author thought that Luke's father had been killed BY Darth Vader as Ben Kenobi originally told Luke.

I will agree that this film had quite a few good scenes. I know that I really enjoyed the Sailbarge scene. But ANH is still my favorite. It was just so totally unexpected and it was so much fun. I loved the fact that it had a TRULY happy ending, which is something that I really like, and which we have gotten far too infrequently lately.

Not a word! I still think that we have no idea when the story will even take place in the timeline.

It sounds like he doesn't know anything either. Those last two sentences are very gracious and unselfish of him. I'm sure he's REALLY like to play Luke again, especially as a Jedi Master.

Speaking of the new film, I'd love to see Luke Skywalker on the big screen again, but I'm so afraid that they will include him only to kill him, and I really am not at all eager to see that.

Darth_Foo:
    Hi, DF! It's great to see you again!

Yes! I really liked that portrayal of Luke in Mindor too! It seemed very Luke to not want to lead other people into dangerous situations too. And yes, Luke has never really wanted power, but, as you said, he uses it when he needs to in order to help or save others and the galaxy.

What did you think of the more recent Del Rey fiction, like FotJ?

I definitely understand how you feel!!! I'm actually kind of excited about the possibility of seeing a new SW film again and knowing nothing about it beforehand. However, like you, I very much do fear that Luke will be killed off, if not in the first film, then in VIII or IX, and I really don't want to see that. I really, really hope that they do something totally unexpected, and allow Luke to live and lead the Order, even as younger Jedi will probably take prominence and have the active roles.

I am also very concerned that George Lucas will get his way and that he won't allow Luke to marry and have children. As I've said on this thread before, I hope someone will over-rule him on this one. In the first place, I want Luke to be able to have personal happiness with a wife and children. But in the second place, I think it would be better for the franchise to have at least one character with the Skywalker surname going forward. So I'm hoping that Luke will have at least one child of his own.

I must say that I haven't been all that thrilled with most of the EU offerings given to us by Del Rey. I have not enjoyed the dark direction in which they have taken the SW galaxy and characters. I haven't liked much of what they've done to and with Luke. I will admit that I wouldn't be at all upset about having most of the EU that they've been responsible for, from the NJO onwards, overwritten by the sequel trilogy. However, I did enjoy most of the Bantam EU, particularly the Thrawn trilogy, Thrawn duology, TaB, and CoPL. I would like to see those stories continue to be part of the canon SW story.

Yes! I loved that and what occurred after Jabba DIDN'T release them! ;)

MasterSkywalker86:
    Definitely!

8. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I referred to the 'new look' at the official site. Can't remember exactly when it was, maybe a year ago, they removed everything from their databank that wasn't PT, OT of CW.

*sympathy vibes*

So that's where that nickname comes from!? So sweet!!! Who wrote that book?

Is this in the novelization?

Nothing yet. I doubt we'll know much anything before next summer. And as always, we'll be wise only in retrospect.

He really seems like such a nice guy! I feel a little bad for him, though - he's just made anotehr movie - and really one of his few live action in so long time - and all he's asked about is Star Wars, Star Wars...

Hi - and welcome back! Yes, this is such a truthful aspect of Luke that Stover has caught! He would really feel this, particularly at that point ot timeline - but the question of how he s´hould handle his powers continues to be a problem for him for years. Yet, he's never one who stands back when he's needed - he'd rather be damned that fail to help. But it's never for his own glory, always part shameful. Poor Luke! I would reallt HATE to see that novel become infinity too!!! It handles a Luke shortly after ROTJ so well !!!

OMG - I had forgotten that!!! Awesome!

And forgtten that too!!!! Unforgivable!!! :p

And as ROTJ is MS's - I'll take the middle one ;) I think it best showed Luke's incredible tenacy.

To be fair to George, I don't think we've ever seen (or heard) him say that is what he wanted - we've only heard him say that's how he saw the saga. Originally. He might have changed his mind since - or be open to other ideas.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Actually the story was published in 2002-2003 I believed, it's part of the short story series called Star Wars Tales. These short-stories contained little segments featuring either the main characters from the movies, minor characters, EU characters, or new characters. Like I mention earlier Luke meets a Force manisfestion of Anakin at 9(Luke doesn't know "Ani" was his dad); His actual dad doesn't meet him. It almost works as a what if story in a sense since both Luke and Anakin meet and are so alike as kids. The Force vision guides him to the safety of a cave during a sandstorm. Think of it as Luke's granddaddy(aka the Force) was keeping an eye on his grandson ;) I recommend reading it if you get a chance it's called "Sandstorm" written by Jason Hall found in volume 4 of Star Wars Tales.

also Luke at 10 kills a Krayt Dragon.. :eek:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sandstorm

ROTJ also had a happy ending ;)

yeh it seems they aren't certain just yet....at least to make any sort of announcement.

yeah I wouldn't mind a cameo in a sense but I do want another actor if Luke's supposed to be in his 30's-50's.

actually I believe the term was coined in Onslaught....^ but yeah read my reply to Child. I have a link to the story summary, author, and where to find it :)

actually I was quoting to what Luke said in ESB the movie. I believe it's more that Luke had a vision of Dagobah than anything else.

true.

lol, well he has dealt with that most of his adult life I think he has master on how to cope with it. Ironically he has played the greatest hero and the greatest villain.

it's an awesome description of Luke that ironically hasn't been used before, yet it should!!! I mean he destroyed the Death Star means he is the bigger fish in the sea :p

the great thing about the OT is that we all have our own favorites for different reasons. It's a testament to the films and how they're timeless in their way.

10. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    @MasterSkywalker86
    Luke is a great Jedi. He gives his enemies plenty of times to surrender to the point of almost begging. If not they get the snap-hiss

@ChildOfWinds
    I ignore anything that takes place after Survivors Quest (well technically Scourge I think). The Vong are just too much for my suspension of disbelief. When I found out that Anakin Solo died I was thankful I wasn't investing in that series. Not to sound like a hypocrite but I do read the reviews here for the new series for the heck of it and know whats going on. Again I'm glad I don't pay for the books because they seem to really like destroying Luke's character and everything the Rebellion/New Republic gained.

If the ST really will be 20 years post ROTJ, then so long as it has Luke married to Mara (don't care if Ben is there or not more would be better) and the 3 Solo Kids then I'm ok with wherever it goes from there. My problem is I don't think Disney will do this in the name of giving the writer "freedom to create"

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    your crazy CoW, The NJO was a masterpiece and the vong were the best villians in all of Star Wars.

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    double post

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    triple post... what is with the dragging all of a sudden on this site??

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it happens when several people are trying to post at once -- what I usually do, if it doesn't come up on the thread and cancel the reply box, is take a copy, refresh the thread with the Forums List link, then retry if my post isn't on the thread when I return.

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think the Emperor should also get a mention too

17. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Jeps - but he needed several films to develop - he never made sense to me in ROTJ - I had to see the PT first. But he's amazing in ROTS.
    Vader needed one scene - and he ruled!

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja :
    Ah!!! I didn't know that... Interesting.... Maybe that was the first clue that something big was going to happen?

Actually, I think the term "Skycrawler" was "coined" by someone in a post here on TFN after it was known that Luke and Mara were going to have a child. It was before Ben had a name, I think...

I would hate for that book to become an Infinities story too.

And, yes, Luke isn't one to stand back when he sees a need. As you said, he never uses his powers for his own glory or because he craves power. That's one of the reasons that I was so annoyed by Mara's lecture in VotF. She pretty much claimed that Luke overused or abused the Force and I vehemently disagree with her about that!

It definitely did!

I really, really, REALLY hope that George either *has* changed his mind about Luke having a family, or that he's open to others who try to convince him that it would be best for the character, the story, and the franchise for Luke to marry and have at least one child.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Then it most likely is an infinities or "what if?" story, yes.

Both Luke stories sound good!

It did, yes, but there were undercurrents of sadness, with Luke losing his father right after redeeming him, and with Luke pretty much alone while Han and Leia had one another.

ANH had a truly happy ending, complete with awards ceremony.

I would guess that those who are working on the film know, but I'm pretty sure that Del Rey doesn't. I think the announcement may have been as much of a shock for them as it was for us.

Good point!

Darth_Foo:
    Yep! That's our boy Luke! ;)

That's where my personal canon pretty much ends too. Yes, there were a few good books after that, but the dark and unsatisfying general direction that the stories took was very disappointing to me. I agree with you that many of the stories treated Luke very poorly. Sometimes his character was "thrown under the bus" just to push a plot in the way that an author wanted it to go. His characterizations were all over the map, and Denning, especially, wrote him in a dark and cold and wrong manner, in my opinion. Denning seemed to forget about the "Farmboy" part of Luke. The compassion and the belief that people could be saved/redeemed seemed non-existent in most of Denning's works.

And, yes, the books also destroyed everything the Rebellion/New Republic had gained. The authors seemed to want each succeeding conflict to be worse than the last one. And the addition of the YV AND thousands of Sith were too much for *MY* ability to suspend disbelief too. If two Sith (Vader and the Emperor) could cause so much death, destruction, and fear in the galaxy and were so hard to defeat, how can a small number of Jedi possibly deal with THOUSANDS of them???

So, I wouldn't be very disappointed to see the NJO and beyond over-written by the ST. However, I would really miss much of the Bantam stuff, particularly the Thrawn Trilogy and duology and Mara. I hope there's a way to save them in canon, but realistically, I'm afraid it's not going to happen...

JediMatteus:
    To each, his own, JM! As they say, one person's junk is another person's treasure. For me, most of the NJO fits the "junk" category, while it was a "treasure" for you.

20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I think so, yes.

Really? I've often wondered whether it was of fan origin? I saw it in a fic a loong time ago...

Second that. Though I think its possible to bend the meaning of that lecture slightly. If you see it that Mara's upset when Luke tries to save everybody because he thinksn its his duty because she wants him to take better care of himsefl, then it's becomes more edible, kinda sweet, actually. Yes, then she was all that about him being partly darkside, but maybe she means that if he looses focus of who he is and what he should and should not, he'll sooner or later fall too. Its' not exactly what she says, but if you bend and twist it a little, then it can look like it. And above all, it makes sense. Then it would just be her worry about the man she loves and worries about, but feels she's had no influence on.

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    yeah that's a very good point, most of the EU databank entries disappeared. That's not a good sign for us Mara fans......yet TCW used already established EU characters in their stories like Quinlin Vos and Alaya Secura. Perhaps the films will used Mara as well in a different yet similar way ?

it could have been before online but it was in an official text too, I'm pretty certain I heard the term in Dark Tide 1: Onslaught. I believe Mara and Leia were having a conversation after Luke "tired" out his wife, and they were chatting about children.

not necessarily, the Vader vs Maul story(Star Wars Tales) became canon. The story hasn't been announced as canon but it hasn't been coined as infinities either. I think it could work out pretty well though without disrupting anything.

oddly enough I feel DarkHorse is more in the know than Del-Rey, also DH will still be making Star Wars comics still. It was announced in a news headline when people expect Marvel to once again take over the rights.(Disney acquired Marvel)

22. kataja

May 4, 2007
    That was my first thought too. Then again, if I was in their shoes, I'd want my hands as free as possible. It's not a good sign - but not a necessarily a bad one either.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    and as I mention before, they probably can used the character in a similiar manner as TCW does with EU created characters.

-maybe they can give us the cliff notes version of her from HTTE.....ie(they give us a small exposition on her background without fully focusing on it).

-anyone think it's weird that we still don't know Mara's parents or Luke hasn't met his Naberrie relatives yet ?

24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    now i will say this: I would have no problem with them erasing Dark Nest on, even though i enjoyed some of Dark nest

25. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    Then maybe it was seen in a fic first. But yes, I do think it was of fan origin.

Well, if that's what Mara meant, I wouldn't mind it at all. Sadly, however, it seemed pretty clear from the text that Mara was chiding Luke and telling him that everything he had done for the previous ten years was tainted with darkness because of the events of DE, and I completely disagree with her about that.

MasterSkywalker86:
    We can hope! I definitely want Luke and Mara to be married.

When I have some time, I'll look it up. However, I was pretty sure that I had heard the term "Skycrawler" even before that.

Why would LFL clue in Dark Horse and not Del Rey? Del Rey is working on new EU too.

That's a good point. I don't know why they never did stories about their relatives. Maybe they wanted a little mystery in Mara's past and didn't know how they could make a story involving Luke and the Naberries exciting enough?

JediMatteus:
    I wouldn't either. But I still say that I'm not sure that the YV are really "star warsy" enough to make the cut either.
    Sadly, I'm afraid that maybe none of the EU will be included in the sequels. :(

26. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    or at least they have started a relationship by the time Episode 7 starts.

k, out of curiosity how many EU books do you have ?

I'm sure LFL has clued both DH and Del-Rey on what to prepare for, the problem for Del-Rey is much of their NJO/Legacy is at the mercy of the new films. DH on the other hand hasn't touch much Post ROTJ material aside of Legacy and Invasion.

I dunno Tatooine Ghost had Anakin's friend chat with Leia a bit, I don't think the Skywalkers meeting the Naberries officially would be boring in a capable writer's hands. I don't even think the immediate family knew about Anakin....as far as I know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.