main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Special Collectors Message - silver R2

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I know that a lot of people don't check the collectors board because of its size, or for other reasons, so I put this message separate to draw attention to it.

In honor of Star Wars' 25th anniversary, there will be a Toys R Us giveaway silver R2D2. The figure is free with a $20 purchase. Though it has been announced for a while, it looks like this weekend may be the start date from what I've read on the Collectors Board, and based on the figure being mentioned in the TRU catalog I got in the mail this week. The offer is also apparently available online at toysrus.com or amazon.com (same site). I checked the site the other day and it wasn't around, but if the offer starts this weekend, it might not have been listed. I would check with stores though before making a purchase, if the R2 is the main reason you're buying something that day.

Dwayne

2. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    You can find more information on the Silver R2 if you go to Rebel Scum.

(Edit done to make sure link works...2nd edit done to let Bobafemme know I did the edit in the first place. ;) *laughs at self*)

3. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Link works fine. I find it funny that he's the most popular item to buy at the moment, when he's free with purchase (maybe the ranking includes free not just bought). Anywa, Chicken Dance Elmo is second. *shudders*

4. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    I'm sure some people are shelling out the $9.99 just to purchase R2 instead of getting him free with the $19.99 Hasbro purchase. Why spend more than you have to?

I'll admit the Chicken Dance Elmo scares me.

5. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Okay, so here's the scoop on the silver R2, straight from Toys R Us and my experience today. You can only purchase the R2 by itself online (no other Hasbro purchase required) for $9.99 plus shipping, etc. (even though on the figure it says "For promotional use only. Not for retail sale."). If you want to get it at the store (or online) for free, you have to make a minimum $19.99 (before tax) Hasbro SW purchase (the clerk hassled me because my purchase only came up $19.98...her manager eventually came over and showed her that yes, I could still get the R2 for free even if I missed the required purchase by $.01). Northride TRU had it (they are at the cashier's stands when you check out), so I'm sure that all the area TRU's probably do.

Now, I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed with the silver R2 that I have it:
    1) If they are selling it online, are they acutally limiting the number that is being sold/given away, or is it going to be like every other SW figure that there's a million and 5 of and ultimately not be worth anything?
    2) For being a giveaway to celebrate the 25 anniversary of the movie (and being a $10 "value") I would have thought that it would be at least be metal with all the hype surrounding it (and no, I wasn't expecting real silver) It's as plastic as any other action figure.

6. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I ordered mine online. Because if I purchased anything for $20.00 bucks at this time it would be something I've been turning down everytime I hit the TRU. So, I saved myself the 20 and got it online. Space is a limited thing so..I did it the easy way. I'm glad because if I'd have bought the dagobah xwing and got a crappy R2 I'd have been most irritated.

m

7. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    I saw the Dagobah Xwing when I was at TRU and would have liked to have bought that (instead getting the MicroMachines Action Fleet Xwing and Falcon) except for the fact that it was $40 (and I didn't want to go past the $20 necessary for the "free" R2 since there's Filmcon and the AoTC DVD costs coming up). I could of just ordered the R2 online (and ate the shipping and all), but it gave me the excuse to finally break down and buy the above MMAF stuff.

8. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Don't forget, you can always buy the $40 X-wing and return it in a week, yet hang on to the R2. I'm buying 1 R2 for me and 1 for my sister online, and 1 clone trooper--that'll put me at $24.97, and with the "free silver R2 code" that apparently exists, I'm hoping I'll score a 3rd one free. If not, I'm just going to spend the cash--there's nothing I really want from TRU at the moment, anyway.

Jason

9. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I never thought of returning whatever I purchased and keeping the R2. I must be slipping. Hopefully it'll be at least a little cool, I'm on some weird Robotech/Spawn jag right now. And I'm waiting not so patiently for my Gargoyles to come out (Stan Winston Studios). I love gargoyles so this is right up my alley. I just know we're still waiting for Ephant Man but we haven't seen him ...anywhere....

m
    :(

10. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    I don't think TRU will let you do a return without the R2 as their receipt marks in several places that the purchase was made at the time of the R2 giveaway, otherwise, I'd've done that myself.

11. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Pretty crafty move on their part (I figured they might do something like that)--you could return the other stuff without a receipt for an in-store credit, though, claiming it was a gift or that you lost the receipt. I see that happen at my store sometimes, and though its obvious what's going on, there's no legal way for a store to refuse.

12. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    I went to TRU Brookfield and spent 24 bucks on a 12" clone trooper and a Darth Maul Sith training figure. I had to ask the clerk if they still had any of the silver anniversary R2's...I don't think she would have known to check otherwise. Its really a cool little figure. Be sure to ask the clerks if you go the TRU route to get one of these things, they may not know or care to check for it themselves.

It also looks like they're trying to clear out some of the old merchandise with a buck off per collection 1 action figure.

I still haven"t spotted any clone pilot figures anywhere. I'm looking for one, and I know a lot of you are looking for some too.

Happy hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.