main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[spoilers!] Indiana Jones IV

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by StarDude, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think the story should NOT revolve around politics of the 50's/60's because the Russians are just not that interesting as bad guys. I could be wrong, but let's face it: Nazi's are universally accepted as the guys you love to hate and it would be tough to capture the same dynamic in a different political advasary. I think instead it should be removed like Temple of Doom was.

And as far as Indy's kid, guy or girl, I think it would be a mistake. Do we really need more characters? Instead I think they should reintroduce Shorty and Willie Scott --

Now just hear me out...

Remember Wu Han in the beginning of Temple of Doom? Well, I feel like that's what Short Round should be -- like Sallah of sorts. And Willie I see as running a night club but now she's a woman with connections and can get certain information.

Just my $0.02 worth.

2. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I don't want to see Short Round, because he isn't that spunky little kid anymore. Kate Kapeshaw is just plain annoying so she shouldn't be in it either. I hope to God Calista Flockhart isn't in it.

Characters that should return are Sallah, Indy's Dad and Marcus Brody.

No little kids please. Ever since Spielberg and Lucas have had kids, they seem to throw them in every one of their damn movies. Forget the kids, let's have fun with the adults.

3. k-man

May 14, 2002
    I believe Denholm Elliot (Marcus Brody) died after Last Crusade.

I'd like to see those Temple of Doom characters, particularly Short Round (maybe by now he's Tall Slim), because I hate that the Indy movies introduced them and then left us hanging with no mention of what happens. Shorty in particular -- what would that say about Indy as a character, to have picked up this orphaned kid, taken care of him, then abandoned him? I'm not saying they should be featured, but just give me a little something -- show some evolution.

4. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Yes, I believe Denholm Elliot passed away in '91.

Speaking of which, a friend and I were discussing his passing and how it would affect Indy IV. That's why they went back to the first formula for LC.

Now, Speilberg, Darabont, and Lucas could go the Temple of Doom route. But Speilberg promised something Biblical and he was crushed with Temple of Doom.

However, another direction they could go is have Indiana Jones fill in Brody's shoes. He could have his job and live a peaceful life at the beginning of the movie. But then something comes up and he decides to go on one last adventure taking him around the globe (or China).

5. k-man

May 14, 2002
    Kinda like calling the old general out of retirement? Like Obi-Wan in ANH?

I like it. In the beginning of the movie he lives the simple life of a college professor, no more globe trotting then something pulls him out of "retirement."

Could definitely work.

6. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

I've recently been looking at this in my own mind as less a "Indiana Jones 4" but more as a sequel to the Indiana Jones saga. A Different Indy to what we saw before. An old, "retired" Indy. Having to pick up the fedora and whip one last time.

A sorta "Return of Indiana Jones" if you will, rather the trying to make it another in the sequence, ala a Bond film.

UKS

7. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Like an epilogue?

8. k-man

May 14, 2002
    Like a general being called out of retirement -- a more intelligent Indy (like in last crusade) as opposed to an all action Inday (like Temple of Doom).

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The Indiana Jones IV script is now completed.

Here's today's latest, from over at SCIFI.COM:

[color=blue][b]Indy IV Script Is Done[/b]

Harrison Ford told SCI FI Wire that Frank Darabont has completed his script for a proposed fourth [i]Indiana Jones[/i] movie. "Steven [Spielberg]'s quite happy with it," Ford said in an interview. "I'm expecting to see it in a couple of weeks."

Ford added that he worked closely with director Spielberg, Darabont and executive producer George Lucas on the story. "The way the process works is that George and Frank work together, then Steven gets the script, then I get the script, and we all work together. We all met together and talked about it before they started writing."

Ford said that he remains eager to reprise his most famous role because of fans' demands for a fourth installment in the franchise. "It pleases me to play a character that audiences want to see," he said. "I know that it's eagerly anticipated, and I want us to do a good job, make a film at least as good as the ones we've made before." The fourth as-yet-untitled Indy movie is slated to begin filming in the summer of 2004, with an eye to a July 2005 release.[hr][/blockquote][/color]He sounds much more upbeat and positive about this one than with the last potential ones that were penned by Jeffrey Boam and other writers. Too, they're probably all aware that -- if it doesn't happen soon -- it ain't gonna happen at all. Here's hoping that all three give the go-ahead on it, if it's worth doing.

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Here are a couple of spoliers I heard while being at a Indy film Charity Marathon afew weeks back:

1. Karen Allen will be in Indy 4

2. Indy will be Ford's age.

3. All the folks from the last one are supposed to be back for Indy 4. ( I have no idea as to who. That's all my Mayor said.) 8-}

That's all I know. ;)

11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well they could definately havew some of the politics of the late 50s. After all they were dealing, even if peripherally, with such settings in the first 3 films. And I don't think you can consider Temple of Doom removed as it dealt with the British imperialism in India and of course the Thugee and Kali cult were real.

No little kids please. Ever since Spielberg and Lucas have had kids, they seem to throw them in every one of their damn movies. Forget the kids, let's have fun with the adults.

Werll Spielberg has used kids long before he had any of his own, like Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET, Temple of Doom, and of course produced several others with kids in prominent roles like Poltergeist, Goonies, the Amazing Stories TV show (I believe one he directed focused on one child), and even the Color Purple had the first part of the film with mostly kids.

And yes Denholm Elliot passed away from AIDS complications.

12. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Who do you guys think would make a good villain?

I'm thinking Jet Li, Alan Rickman, or Garry Oldman.

13. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Nahhh I would rather have a character actor, or maybe an english one that is not well known in North America. I think Jet Li would be too out of place unless he didn't do martial arts. Rickman is probably too high profile after Potter, but Oldman sounds interesting. I still be rather suprised by seeing a solid but not instantly recognizable name.

14. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    There is a rumour going round the e-web that Spielberg will NOT be directing.

This is (allegedly) straight from Sean Connery's mouth.

UKS

15. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
  16. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Whatever happens for Indy IV I hope the Director and Producers keep a few things in mind:

1)Keep Douglas Slocombe behind the camera.He is the connective tissue of the Trilogy,visually speaking and seeing his work in the successive movies after "Raiders" was like seeing an old friend after a few years absence.

2)Likewise,keep Michael Kahn as the film editor.He and Slocombe fit together like two spoons.

3) Use the CG sparingly and only for practical applications.The past movies did well with this approach(even pre-CG) and it helped to "keep it real",much like Indy himself.Splatter on the CG and you risk becoming a parody of those "Mummy" movies.
    Don't "innovate" for innovations sake-keep it solid.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I once heard a rumor that Mark Hamill may play the villain in Indy 4; he'd play Belloq's brother.

18. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well Michael Kahn is a given since Spielberg has used him in all his films, he has been the longest running collaborator of Spielberg.

Slocombe would be tough. He is like 90 years old, probably retired and the last film he is credited with is The Last Crusade. A better bet would be Janusz Kaminski since he has been working with Spielberg in his last few movies. I would have my doubts for him for an Indy movie, but he did prove flexible after shooting Catch Me if You Can.

19. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Don't forget Dennis Muren as the Special FX Supervisor. ;)

20. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Interestingly enough each iof the Indy films has had a different VFX supervisor. Muren has been involved in the most important Spielberg films, though he is not the only one. Scott Farrar was the last one on Minority Report (Catch Me If You Can and apparently Terminal didn't use ILM). It'll be interesrting to see who will be, especially since Muren might also be involved in Episode 3 (he has already hinted in an interview this might be the case).

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I hope to God Calista Flockhart isn't in it.

Characters that should return are Sallah, Indy's Dad and Marcus Brody.

Amen, brother.

Who do you guys think would make a good villain?

I'm thinking Jet Li

Why don't we call DMX while we're at it too?

22. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    If Slocombe can't make it,then the only one I could suggest would be Dean("Dances With Wolves")Semler...

23. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Unfortunately, Denholm Elliot, who played Marcus Brody, has been dead for some time now.

24. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

SO WHAT if the man is dead?

That doesn't mean he couldn't be in the film!

He could be a CGI ghost!

Anything's possible nowadays. :)

OK, I hope most of you realize I'M KIDDING!

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    In filmmaking it isn't unheard of to use different actors to play the same character...

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.