main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit STAR TOURS canon, retcons official Blog entry!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That could be fun, although both Charal and "She" ended up on Endor and Shira respectively by sheer accident--in both cases, it was a crash. ;) As regards the Nightsister on an ice planet, I suppose you're talking about Kyrisa on Hoth?

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering where the mind witch S'ybll fits in- given that she's apparently mentioned in "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About The Nightsisters But Were Afraid To Ask".

3. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Ask, and thou shalt receive! S'ybll is only mentioned as one of the Star Wars characters who were described as "witches."

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    So, witch-themed as much as anything else?

Life-witches (Ambush at Corellia) are another example- but the Wookieepedia page for them doesn't cite that article anywhere.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Went digging in saxtons locker... found this:

[​IMG]

though it says DS1... got size and numbers off and a crosssection that is more fun than serious... this is what my Death Star 3 could look like. Not much interior aside tanks and empty space after all... only surface inhabited... etc.

but where the hell is this from originally?

Starkeiller likes this.
  6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    That artificial moon looks like it is made out of swiss-cheese.

Grey1 likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the same guy that did the undersized ISD diagrams- Geoffrey Mandel? I'm told he eventually said that those were not licenced, but his own fanwork.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    PS - How long until we can make scorpion Vader canon?
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sasori_Vader

Nice. Very nice.

...Still, I like to pretend that Willow took place on pre-spaceflight Coursicant.

I'ld say a golf-ball personally.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I made a thread that was basically this a year ago and I found one possible route through st2 that was appropriate to the era and wasn't contradictory to anything. People acted like I was crazy for even trying to make it for into canon. They said I was mad, well I'll show them!

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  10. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Can you dig it up, and summarize your key points?

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Just one word.

Mortis.

Heard it here first.

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That's simply because the life-witches were not mentioned in the Insider article, while the mind-witches were. ;-)

13. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    A trap?

Iron_lord, Gorefiend and Bib Fartuna like this.
  14. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    That's awesome! :)

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Abel from some years ago:

"We've been discussing a potential Star Tours article in the future at my author's thread. The thought of a third Death Star qua Death Star post-Endor has always made me a bit uncomfortable. The habitation sphere fix has long been in my mind as a first resort, though I would have to see how things would actually come together.

Plus, I've got one more ace up my sleeve."

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Habitation spheres around Coruscant are mentioned in The Old Republic: Annihilation.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    The one thing about any retcon -- even making it a habitation sphere -- it still would have to be one that someone made to look like a mock Death Star. We do never see its superlaser fire, or see inside it, but because of the trench run, it still must work like a Death Star, with an exhaust port, etc. But I still think something interesting can be done with the "true story."

18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Didn't some of the old Ralph McQuarrie artwork have multiple 'sphere's' featured, above Coruscant (which obviously wasn't called this at the time).

[​IMG]

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think it could still work as an actual Death Star, mothballed when the first was destroyed at Yavin. The John Hurt Death Star, if you will. But then again, after the extent of the anachronistic nature of Star Tours II became clear, I thought that trying to work the Death Star III into continuity wasn't quite as important. I like the article, but I'm curious why the description of Star Tours II was appropriately vague, but the equally anachronistic Death Star is acknowledged.

TC

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

especially since Star Tours 2 features a nearfinished death star in orbit of Geonosis in the background when Slave 1 hunts the Starspeeder!!! could be the same as DS3 then ;)

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

it would be too convoluted to have a mock DeathStar esque habitation sphere. except if the death star 3 was given up, turned into a habitation sphere and later restructured as actual death star again... or rather as lookalike only for scare-factor, which is nuts. so I prefer it to be a real one.

22. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Not so ridiculous a proposition.

During World War II, there were many examples of fake airfields and tanks, using plywood, etc. to try and fool the enemy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fortitude

Valin__Kenobi and CeiranHarmony like this.
  23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd prefer it to be an actual battlestation, just one more conventionally armed. Even an ISD could be armed with a proton beam cannon and another was converted to house a more powerful superlaser.
    The station also doesn't have to be the same size as the first one to be intimidating. Or like someone else said, it was the second Eye of Palpatine, with no asteroid camouflage. Not being built, just refitted, maybe?

24. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    For some reason, the edit option is not working for me...

Anyway...

Have always thought this was hilarious, still not sure if it is an Urban Legend or not:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20338_6-hilarious-pranks-pulled-by-soldiers-in-middle-war.html

#6. Sarcastically Bombing Fake Airfields With Fake Bombs
    With World War II raging in Europe, the Germans were fighting a losing battle. They needed to look more powerful than they actually were, so they came up with an ingenious solution: build a bunch of fake airfields out of wooden decoys. It's not as stupid as it sounds; a good fake can look just like the real thing from 30,000 feet.
    But in fact, the Allies soon realized that all of those airfields, complete with runways, fake aircraft, and buildings, were nothing more than elaborate props that could be defeated by an army of termites. The only thing left was to figure out the best way to let the Germans know that they weren't fooling anyone (in the most sarcastic way possible).
    So the Allies flew bombing raids over these fake wooden airfields, presumably sending the German fake (wooden?) ground crews scrambling for cover. After several intense minutes in which nothing happened, the Germans finally realized what the Allies were doing: They were dropping fake wooden bombs on them.

Just to make it absolutely clear to the Germans what was going on, many of these bombs had the phrase "Wood for Wood" painted on them. Yes, what the military calls "psychological warfare," the rest of us call "being a smartass."

25. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    For some reason I think this means we should have a Death Star IV that gets destroyed by Rookie One and an A-Wing in a genuine trench run, and finally something should be done about the Death Star (V?) I destroyed in the X-Wing game. In a trench run.

Other than that, you could argue that any huge structure with a reactor would need an exhaust port. And thinking about it, it would make sense that the military learned to cover their exhaust ports in future designs while no habitation sphere designer would feel the need to learn from the Battle of Yavin. And even if they did, trying to make habitation spheres more secure against malicious sabotage, maybe someone retrofitting an empty one as a fake Death Star wouldn't go all the way for the exhaust port safety retrofit.

And this is really putting a lot of thought into a fun fair ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.