main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #3: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think this actually goes along with my idea that there was a first evacuation, and then they returned and there was a second evacuation. At least for now, assuming this was post-first-evacuation. It it goes on forever and they never get back to Yavin, that theory would be in trouble.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Wasn't Executor the first one they built?

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I haven't read issue 3 yet but what do you guys think so far?

I hear its selling quite a lot...which makes me wonder....why?

Its been a great read, but it doesn't seem utterly amazing. It *IS* interesting in that it deals with the ramifications of the events of ANH that have been glossed over it seems.

But I don't see what makes this different from say "Rebellion".

4. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Exactly. There is so much more to Leia than just being a diplomat. Her political side was barely even acknowledged in the Original Trilogy.

I'm seriously wondering where this misconception of Leia being some kind of pacifist polititian who is only useful for peace negotiations and speeches came from.

5. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    So Squints with shields, hyperdrives and torps .... Maybe this was Zaarin's first attempt and then he decided to make the Avenger and Defender (because for some reason the Squint frame wasn't as good as he would have wanted or something)?

Also seeing Leia in the field is soo much fun. I also really like how the artist drew her (Luke seems a bit off to me but Leia looks great).

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Maybe fans really love this era.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, we know the Lucy was built at the same time. And though the Ex has to be the first put into construction since the class is named after it- maybe a 3rd SSD finished earlier due to wanting to protect the DS2 construction site?

The Brawl/Iron Fist is the earliest one we know about beyond the Ex and Lucy. Otherwise Vengeance or Terror (pre-cloaking device) would be the next likely potential candidates.

8. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    So what do you guys love about this new series then?

Cad Bane likes this.
  9. General Stele

General Stele Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, he even looks quite like Stele, but according to current continuity, he's just technician onboard ISD Vengeance around that time. Retcons, please stay away from at least him. :p

It has wrong proportions. For shure it's first canonical image of Mandy mk III. :D

That sounds exactly like moded Interceptors from first few missions of XvsT. Nothing special about them. Just another way to turn excellent fighter into sluggish piece of junk, like TIE/x1.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    We're not regular fans, we're Lit. Whole different animal. [face_mischief]

11. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Is it possible that they left equipment, materials, and forces behind after the initial evacuation and these forces laid low while the Imperials went through the obvious wreaks and remains of the DS1? Then when the Imperial Starfleet thinned out they came back to get the stuff they left behind out after the six months mark?

The Wook states that there were several battles around Yavin during the six months, so I think they have some rope to say that the important persons were evacuated early, so Leia and company are doing their thing, which is one of the reasons the Empire never brings forces in to crush the base or the forces on the planet (and a planet is a large place to hide on if they went to ground), and then six months in they finally get tired of dealing with them and send in overwhelming force that means they have to get out completely.

It may not be the neatest fit, but it fits better than many things in the SW EU. And this could just be an early shake-down for the Executor.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thing is the Ex's shakedown was shown in CSW.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The issue is that the first issue stated that it was set only two months after Yavin, not six, which is too early for the Executor to be making appearances. :( Otherwise, yes, we'd assume that it was after those first six months.

Hmmm....I like this fix. We do know the class has been in the works for quite some time. And if it was always needed to protect the Endor construction site, Vader wouldn't be able to take it to smash the Rebels on Yavin. So it wasn't identified as the Executor in the comic?

We've had to deal with a similar two evacuation theory for awhile now, to fit in the Star Wars Kids comics, Star Wars Missions, and Rebel Strike. My concern here is what Havac expressed:

This comic seems to be assuming that both the final evacuation of Yavin and the Executor's launch occurred prior to the two month mark, which is completely at odds with all the sources we've seen since 2000 or so. Given that the six-month time period was itself a compression of what was previously almost three years worth of stories, it's possible that we're looking at yet another version of the post-Yavin timeline, depending on how long running and influential this comic ends up being. By my count, this is the seventh or eighth version of the timeline. :p

TC

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't named, no.

15. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Just finished reading it, I was surprised at seeing the Executor, and then the progress made on the DSII. Odd to see it seemingly so far along in construction, but then again I never understood the "problem" in building such things relatively fast in the SW Galaxy.;)

As mentioned above, I don't know if anything directly contradicts it, but it did seem early for the Executor as well. I would hope its a different, but similar looking dreadnought of Imperial or a local planetary naval design.:)

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Good word of mouth plus it has a title that is just STAR WARS. Which can appeal to ANYONE who has watched the movie or just likes comic books. All the other comics have the dreaded Sub-Title, Dawn of the Jedi, Dark Time, etc. Which scares people, because that means it's gonna throw them into something that they think will probably be way over their head in an era they might not even care about. In other words they're not good jumping on points. Doesn't matter that they are good, it doesn't matter if those titles offer more than the story in STAR WARS, and it doesn't matter they aren't to complicated to get into. Fact is your casual fan just isn't gonna jump into something that they only have a small interest in. No fan of comic books who likes BATMAN, X-Men, Saga, is gonna jump on "STAR WARS: Boba Fett's sister gets married." You people will buy it, but they won't. Most Star Wars fans won't.

Now put the big 3 on the cover and just call it STAR WARS, and you've just appealed to everybody. That being super fan, fan, movie lover, and simple comic book fan. Imagine your casual comic book reader who strolls into his comic book shop buying his Batman comic of the week. He looks through the isles, sees his comic, picks it up, and then decides to check if there is anything else that might interest him. He walks past Dawn of the Jedi, Dark Times, Invasion, but wouldn't you know it, he stops when he sees STAR WARS. He's intrigued, he didn't know there were Star Wars comics. He's a fan of the original movies, and it looks like he might be about those characters. He gives it a try, and guess what? SALE.

So to sum up, and answer the question: Good Reviews, Big 3, and simple title that appeals to everyone makes for a top selling Star Wars comic. And one that did 46,000 with issue 2. As opposed to their other titles that may be anywhere from 10 to 25 thousand. Thie was a brilliant move by Strad. Now the question is will the title continuie to appeal to these new comers. I feel Brian is going to have to hit people with something big in the next arc to keep them buying the book.

themetresgained likes this.
  17. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Well, this seems to be it for me. I gave this series a fair shot, but three issues in it hasn't wowed me. It's not bad, mind you, but it's become immensely clear that this series simply has nothing new to bring to the table. It may be fine for those horrid "casual fans" I've heard so much about, but for a veteran litizen, a new series set at this point in time and featuring this set of characters has to have more going for it than simply "the continuing adventures of Luke & Co." I'll still be keeping an eye on the general goings-on of this comic just in case something crazy and awesome unexpectedly happens, but until then I won't be picking this book up anymore.

P.S. Is anyone else immensely annoyed at all the reviews and such for this series touting it as being set in the "barely explored" time between episodes IV and V? I keep seeing that and I keep wanting to reach through the internet to just punch that person in the eye and tell them to shut up about things they clearly have no idea of. I saw someone on a forum recently wondering if they were finally going to go back and tell the story of Han's bounty hunter encounter on Ord Mantell, and I nearly screamed.

P.P.S. That big splash page of the Death Star II was terribly drawn.

18. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I wasn't trying to be a downer. It is a good series from what I have read, and I like the art. I was just curious as to why it was getting mainstream media coverage and sales. I guess it was just because of its simple name.

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I can see your point, but I hope it also shows that not everyone is EU knowledgeable as many here seem to think. Most people don't care or know who Han and Leias children are. So it's only logical that a fan who just likes the movies will wonder if there is any story dealing with Han and the bounty hunter of Ord Mantell. If there's anything good to come from it, it's that that fan is interested in knowing. Therefore he might pick up the story that tells it. The reviews for the comic reflect the writing and storytelling of the series. All which are great. However it's from the stand point of people who haven't tread that ground before. We have.

And like you this is my last issue as well. Love what they are doing here, but this story doesn't grab me. I'm not against the secret spy story, but for me personally it has no appeal. I hope fore great things from this series, and I'd like it to be one that is worthy of recommendation to new readers. Right now it's just a Star Wars series telling a simple story in an era already smashed full of other material that has already covered anything worthy of note.

That is why when it was announced I was hoping it would say to hell with continuity and tell it's own version of events. That way who's knows what awesome stuff Brian could have come up with when he has no restrictions. I'd have liked to seen his version of the escape from Yavin,etc. Unfortunatly it's a series ingrained in the EU, and Brian has to follow the rules. So I don't look for great memorable stories to come from this series.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Try though we may, I don't see why Dark Horse would force Brian Wood to edit his story around old Marvel issues that only fans like us really remember. Let's not forget guys that we knew that the new series set post-ANH would be tough to reconcile within the continuity, as 0-1 ABY is a VERY full year. One of the most crowded years in of that period.

I haven't been able to pick up my issue at my LCS yet, but I plan on grabbing it this Saturday. From what I have heard, the issue was quite good. And now that we know it has been booked through at least issue #20, it is safe to say that the next story arc will in fact have some big twist or reveal, as Wood has time to flesh things out.

--Adm. Nick

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You say that like those are two mutually exclusive things. Was Shadows of Mindor a miserable story because Stover had the audacity to adapt an existing event? It's completely ridiculous to assume Brian Wood is incapable of writing good stories without stepping on something else. I'd certainly much rather see something original than another depiction of the Yavin escape. We've been there; let's see something else.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    We are seeing something else

23. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Ahh...I apologize. People had been throwing around "six months" and I forgot that the first issue was specific with two months post Yavin.

To be honest, it seems like the post-Yavin period is pretty confusing by itself, as those six months are jammed to the gills with things needing to happen, and the main characters having to get past the blockage multiple times, and that's before the Executor shows up there for the main evacuation at the six month mark.

As much as I know people love to make everything fit...this was always going to be a tough fit, and I'm happy with mentally fudging the specifics if it means we get as solid a comic as SW under Wood has been.

I only picked up the third issue today, but there's no specific mention of it being the Executor, so if people wanted a way to retcon out it being the Ex, there's thus far no specific mention of the ship's name.

As I understand it, the Ex should still be at Fondor, but I could see it being sent on an early shake-down to Endor, and then back to Fondor for the sabotage and commando attacks on it, if one really needed to squeeze things in for it.

My gut tells me that at the end of the day, making things fit 100% with every detail in that timeline isn't possible, and honestly, that period seems so packed that it doesn't really seem possible those six months post destruction of the DS1 could contain everything that has been jammed in already.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    One option is that 4 months could have passed in between ;)

Or they first moved her to Endor for finishing works and just figured, lets better stick to using Fondor, after all like the Death Star, the Executor had been under construction and revision for ages at this point. Or it could really just be one of the other SuperStars being built at the time.

25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Navigator 1: "Where did Admiral Ozzel say we were going again?"
    Navigator 2: "I dunno, something-dor? Shador, Fondor, Endor, something like that."
    Navigator 1: "Well, just pick one!"
    Navigator 2: "What if it's wrong?"
    Navigator 2: "He won't care; he loves surprises. Just make sure you come in real close to the system..."