main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" by R.A. Salvatore [Del Rey, 2002]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 7, 2004.

?

"Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" by R.A. Salvatore [Del Rey, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

41.1%
  2. 9

14.7%
  3. 8

14.7%
  4. 7

11.6%
  5. 6 (Average)

2.1%
  6. 5 (Average)

4.2%
  7. 4

2.1%
  8. 3

2.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

7.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROGUESQUAD

ROGUESQUAD Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    In gave it 9.
    It's a very good book, but at the end, the battle of Geonosis it's poor described.

2. DarthMorsus

DarthMorsus Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    I gave it a 9. It was better than the movie. It did seem a bit rushed, but it was good nonetheless.

3. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005
    It was so much better than the film. The film seemed so choppy with Anakin's and Padme's relationship. While the book give you a solid reason as to why Padme had fallen in love with Anakin, the film seemed to make one think that it was an ongoing pounding of a very strong Jedi mind trick. There were many scenes that I had wished were in the movie, particularly of Padme conversing with her mother and sister.
    So for the fans of the film, who felt there was something lacking. Read the book, you'll love it.

4. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    10, highly recommended even to those who dislike the film.

5. Corellian_Cutie

Corellian_Cutie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2005
    the book and the movie were equally awesome...

6. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    10/10, I love this book, I mean, sure it miss some things but but it dosn't make it bad. I did miss a lot from the last war scens and that is sad but it won't change haw I feel about the book in general;) .

7. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    The book was good and gave more in depth looks into Anakin and Padme's relationship. I give it a 9

8. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    7/10

This book was good, but not great. As is typical of a SW movie novelization, the book does a much better job of providing some important details and continuity to the plot which only serves to improve the overall story. Obviously, there is not alot of room for creativity within the constraints of the big picture, and this book did nothing extraordinary to improve upon that situation. I found Salvatore's style a bit bland, and I didn't think that the action of the movie was captured particularly well either. Still, worth a read if you want to fill in some small gaps and gain a bit more insight into some of the characters involved and find out what they were (or weren't) thinking as events unfolded around them.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    10. This novel, like the other two prequel novels work superbly with the film-the books give us all the extra stuff that wouldn't make sense/fit especially well with the storyline in the film.

Like obviously, the scenes with Cliegg & the farmers trying to rescue Shmi would bloat AOTC to LOTR endlessness. But since it's in a book, it's easy to imagine it all going on behind the scenes during the film.

10. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    It sucked lol![face_laugh]

Seriously, it started out interesting enough but it was like the author gave up half way through.He went from getting inside the characters heads to just describing what happened on screen.
    The wedding scene is better described in the children?s novelisation.

11. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I give it a solid 7.

There's nothing wrong with it per se...but nothing outstanding either.

12. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    I gave it a 8. The book was much better then the movie. I really enjoyed the back story it gave on shmi. This book really captured anakin's emtions.

13. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I gave it a 10. I liked the A/P scenes in the book, which I thought were a little corny in the movie.

Being introduced to Padmes' family was a nice addition, and I really hate that those scenes were cut in the film. [face_frustrated]

The Anakin and Obi-Wan dialogue in the book was much more played out than it was in the film.

Anakin's thoughts on Padme's comment: you'll always be the little boy I knew on Tattooine....was very well written. :D

But what sold the book for me was the description of what was going on in Skywalkers mind when he slaughtered the Tuskens. Salvatore nailed it. =D=

~Piper :)

14. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    This is the review I wrote for my website, http://www.g-pop.net:

" I am a self-proclaimed Star Wars nut. No, I?m not as crazy as some of the folks who dress up in the outfits, though I have been known to have a lightsaber (aka: wiffle bat) duel with my brother-in-law on occasion. And, granted, I haven?t stood on line for days, weeks, even months for a ticket to see one of the movies. But I have seen every one of the movies in the theaters, often times more than once. I also own them all in various versions and formats. I own various other Star Wars items, such as comic books, cards, figures, etc, but my collection is small, compared to most?mostly due to lack of money and space. The pride of my collection is my Star Wars book collection. I even purchased a special bookcase to display them in. My collection is modest ? I only buy what I can afford. Plus, I don?t just leave these things on a shelf either. They serve a dual purpose, as I am an avid reader.

Having read almost the entire series prior to Vector Prime (minus the Young Jedi books, of which I am missing a couple), and completing the New Jedi Order series plus a couple of the new ?older? fill-in adventures, I was now ready to continue reading the events of the Clone Wars series. Next stop ? Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones by R. A. Salvatore. On the very first day of reading the novel, I completed 119 pages. Now, some of you are probably saying ? so what?! You?re a Star Wars nut and loved the movie. Of course you?re breezing through the book. Well, let me tell you ? this novel is not just a retelling of the movie! Often times, reading the novelization of a movie is disappointing. Either scenes are left out of the book that were in the movie, or scenes are added that don?t truly fit, having been copied from the original screen play without the edits. But this novelization is on a whole different level than most.

Throughout this segment of the Star Wars adventure, we begin to see the path toward darkness that inevitably claims Anakin Skywalker. We begin to see how tragedy, as well as his inner passions, lead him perilously close to the Dark Side of the Force. Episode II illustrates the beginning of Skywalker?s path toward that ominous end which will culminate in his becoming Darth Vader, a Dark Lord of the Sith.

R. A. Salvatore is one of the most gifted storytellers of the day. In creating the novelization of Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones, R. A. Salvatore set about doing it the only way he knows how. He recreated the story. Not to say he changed any of George Lucas? vision. The scenes that take place in the movie are perfectly described in the novel. Action scenes, such as the fight between Dooku and Yoda are made even more energetic and exciting due to the amazing detail with which they are described by Salvatore. Lucas? entire movie is written within the pages of this novel, but with a twist. Movies don?t often have a great deal of time for character building. We can only guess what is going on in the minds of the characters. What Salvatore does for this novelization only serves to make George Lucas? movie more enjoyable.

Throughout the beginning of Attack of the Clones, Anakin?s mother Shmi Skywalker is only discussed. We never actually see her until Anakin attempts to rescue her from the Sand People. R. A. Salvatore tells us about Shmi?s life just prior to being captured by the Tusken Raiders. We also are given glimpses as to what it was like for Shmi in captivity. More attention is given to Padmé?s life outside the Senate. We are shown glimpses of her home life and the reasons that Padmé is more vulnerable to Anakin?s presence than she would like to be. We learn that Anakin is not such a spoiled teenager as he appears to be in the movie, as we are given more insight into his thoughts, hopes, and horrifying dreams. Much more attention is paid to Obi Wan and his misgivings for his beloved Padawan?s future. We see Yoda more clearly throug

15. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    In the novel we get more about the Tusken Raider slaughter and the Dooku/Skywalker duel so for those moments alone I gave the book a 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.