main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Star Wars Battlefront

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Those nerfherders at Star Wars Shop finally gave me an arrival date for my PC copy of "Battlefront": Monday morning.

Good thing I had the foresight to pick up the RTS computer game "Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War" to tide me over as I wait. Orks, Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Eldar...talk about the dark side! :)

Tim - what's your take on this vile but oh-so-intriguing little alternate universe? :)

- Johnny

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    A long time ago, in a galaxy that we are both sitting in right now, I loved Warhammer as a concept - as an alternative to Dungeons & Dragons and LOTR, it was a worthy setting - but, the (odd) thing with me is, I am much more a reader than a player, so I bought the books but never played lol. And from Warhammer, Warhammer 40k was a good evolution, real interesting. You see at the time, the people of Games Workshop were also doing things like "Fighting Fantasy" books which I was really big into - I didn't want anything too complex (MERP was fairly complex). I think this idea as a world fighting ugly chaos was very much the "in thing" in the 80s when I was growing up - there was so much stuff like that, Games Workshop brought out loads of cool stuff - Dragon Quest boardgame (I think this is the right one) was cool, and Hero Quest was a good children's alternative. All of these drew from a similar source - the Warhammer universe which was like a warped Medieval Europe. I still have a lot of the old books and boxes, even a smallish collection of White Dwarf magazine which I may eventually get to selling on eBay. But overall, I think Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K were a good alternative to the mainstream D&D and MERP, though it was definitely a dark and more twisted take on the fantasy stuff.
    I don't think now I would go back into it, there is so much SW literature coming out that I don't have enough Republic credits to bribe a Toydarian, or even purchase a Clone Army with lol. Maybe the Galactic Lotto will point its celestial finger at me someday, then I can buy buy buy lol.

3. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    Truth be told, I wouldn't invest in all the elements that go into a game because, like you(when it comes to Warhammer 40K, at least), I'm more of a reader than a buyer.

Although I'm also a game-player, and that's why the new "Dawn of War" computer game was a must-have: why invest in a million-and-one miniatures and books when you can have the whole kit-and-kaboodle in one flippin' computer game, and for one price? :)

But I've digressed this thread. My copy of "Battlefront" arrives today, so I expect to have a server up for all you PC users by the end of the week! :)

- Johnny

4. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I've been having an awesome time playing this online(X-Box). I've hooked up with alot of cool people out to have fun. Snipers rule!
    Nothing like picking of a Clone trooper from across the Bespin Platforms, or nailing a Wookie in the back as he tries to run, not knowing where the shots came from. hehehe.
    Oh, and don't get me started on how fun it is to blow up rebels on tauntauns with an AT-AT.
    And picking off Tuskens with a TIE fighter. :D

Then we have the part of rolling off a Kamino platform as a Droideka. Or exiting a ship, with its back to the edge of a platform....its a long way down to the Bespin surface.

(40K was fun to play, I still have most of my armies. I miss it. :( )

5. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Just a shot in the dark here...

If wants a Playstation2 version of this game, and is willing to pay/trade for Xbox version, please let me know. I reserved the wrong format, they sold out of the Xbox version, and now my PS2 is shot!

dumb luck.

PM me with any help.

Thanks,
    ~DG~

6. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    And now I cannot play Vice City either. Aw, shucks.

7. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I've played online with Venom and Mayhem on Xbox Live. This game is a blast online! I [face_love] it.

8. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Mike, bring that over here!

9. Mayhem

Oct 28, 2001
    Its was cool playing with ya Xeno. Join up anytime you see me on. If I plan on staying up late, I usually host since I have a good connection.

10. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    Yeah, whenever you're playing send me an invite. We've had some good games so far. [face_love]

11. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    The other day I finally installed it, when I tried to play, it was in slow motion. No idea why. If I can support SWG, I should not have a problem with Battlefront. :(

12. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    I think I'm gonna try running a server TONIGHT(10/1)...

I'll do the following order of maps: Kamino, Naboo, Geonosis, Hoth, and Endor.

The server will be password-protected, however. Those of you interested in taking part, PM me to request the password. If you want to make map requests, I'll add one more map to the group.

I'll have it up and running around 7 p.m. My handle, of course, is johnny_nod. :)

Die well! [face_devil]

- Johnny

13. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I wont know till later if I am gonna be home tonight or not..i might be going out with my friend Chris. If not.. Send me the password.

Anyone know if any of the Jedi Outcasters have battlefront yet? Like Kopacz, Bennett or Dion? We could get them involved too. Meri.. you have battle front?

14. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I still need to get a copy

15. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    *peels eyes from the Xbox*

........game good............

*focuses on the defense of Kamino*

~DG~

16. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Alrighty Johnny i wont be there tonight, im going out :)

17. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    *focuses on the defense of Kamino*
    I liked that campaign. I tore up the Kashyyk campaign. I stood on the platform and sniped everything in site. I'm stuck on Endor right now. I'm playing the historic campaigns and I can't blow up the shield generator. Any hints or tips? Anybody? Has anyone beaten this level?

18. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    Oh well...

Due to lack of response, I'll use the time to sharpen up my own Battlefront skills.

I'm postponing the planned online session tonight, but I will try again at a later date.

Would anyone be interested in a game tomorrow evening? PM me if you want in and I'll reveal the password. Samantha, since you already know it, just lemme know if you can or not.

- Johnny

19. Mayhem

Oct 28, 2001
    Destroy the shiled bunker=use wookiee and set a time bomb on it. I think it takes 4 or 5 bombs, so you'll have to run outside to refill(watch out for snipers)

20. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Aah! [face_thinking]

I was using a rebel trooper. I will try that. Thanks!

21. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Uhh no idea if i'll be around tomorrow either lol. I am kinda seeing a guy here (omg Sam's seeing someone in this state whats evev better is hes only 10 minutes away) so if he wants me to come over tomorrow, im obviously going. If not, i promised my friend Jessica id hang out with her before she goes back to school Sunday night.

22. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    I'm up for a game late tonight. Johnny can set up a server or I offer my own.

23. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    I am setting up a server at 10:00 called Mos Eisley Port Authority. Anyone is welcome to join.

24. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    My game was REALLY laggy. Wish i could have stayed longer

25. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    My RoadRunner connection is not entirely stable... Hope everyone had a blast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.