main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Star Wars Day at Paul A. Biane Libray--May 29, 2009

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Symina, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Thought I'd get a thread started to keep all the info in one spot.

Event: 2nd Star Wars Day at the Paul A. Biane Library
    Location: 12505 Cultural Center Dr., Rancho Cucamonga at Victoria Gardens
    Date/Time: Friday, May 29th, time TBD, but the evening after the library officially closes. We'll have run of the library!
    Why We're There: To help the library bring the fun of Star Wars to the community!
    Who's invited: Everyone! I'm sure we'll need volunteers to help wrangle, perhaps run an IEFF table, and share your love of Star Wars!

Bill and Sandy, if you'd like to bring the Falcon again that would be great! If we do have an IEFF table it would be nice to have a few collectibles displayed along with the banner, and we do have a photo album, don't we?

Allen contacted me and said we should be getting that cool teaser artwork by the end of the week, and also that one of the rehearsal halls has been requested for our use to dress in. Good news also, GameStop is aboard to come out that night and do some SW game demos, AND the director of Fanboys is scheduled to come out! The director also asked if we would post something urging members to go out and see the movie when it's released. Wikipedia says it's supposed to come out on 10 screens in LA, but Rottentomatoes says it's not playing in LA, so we'll have to figure where it exactly is playing. I can't access the movie's website at work so that would probably be the best place to go for info.

Allen has contacted the OC saber group, and asked that we put in a request as well. Kari, I think you have more of a rapport with them. Can you please take care of cross-posting to the OCSWS boards?

I'll keep on updating this post as we get more info. I'd like to hold off on posting on the RL and 501st boards until about a month out so we don't beat the drum on it too much and keep if fresh, also so we'll have more concrete details as the day approaches.

This is gonna be great!!!

2. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I sent a PM to the OC Prez just to make sure it was okay. Once he gets back to me, I'll post it over there.

Is there going to be a special place for the Falcon? If so, what about asking Shawn to bring the H-Wing, too. He'd also be a GREAT one to read out loud!

Thanks for doing this, Sonya! [:D]

3. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I asked Allen and he said he'd get the Falcon (and the H-Wing, should she appear) a spot again. :)

4. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    I'd like to go to this, but I won't know until we get closer to the date.
    I'll probably be a wrangler or something like.

5. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Kari and I had an opportunity to have a quick word with the director of Fanboys, Kyle Newman, Tuesday night. We mentioned the upcoming SW Day, and he actually knew the date! I hope that our presence there at the premiere of his film gives him a bigger motivation to come out and support our event!

6. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Here an advertisement for this event. Sonya had the brilliant idea of adding it to her signature bar... so I copied her. Please feel free to post it anywhere that it might be seen.

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jedifan/PaulBianeLibrarySWDay.jpg]

7. librarywalker

librarywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    The banner was designed by one of our staff fans, Richard. Allen and I have a meeting this wednesday with the big guns to get a better idea about what we can do. Currently all our plans are filed under: "Biane Library, Blowing the roof off of." You have no idea how excited we are and the kids are already getting into it, based solely upon sly innuendo and rumors. We'll probably end up calling it Star Wars Night since it's from 7-9 (tentative). But that gives us more options regarding the space. But it'll be awesome. I'll give you more updates and thoughts as they develop.

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I love the banner. Sonya had the great idea of using it in her signature line on the 501st and RL boards. I had to copy her.

If this year's event is anything like last years, it will be great fun for everyone!

9. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    What about one of your Padmes?

10. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Cool, i added it to our website!

11. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    thanks for adding it. Allen and I are hoping for somewhere between 800 and a gazillion people. Now that the telethon is over, you can guess where my attention is going.

12. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    To a galaxy far, far away!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

13. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Good question. I don't know. I'll have to think on it.
    I've been wanting to re do the old jedi costume.

14. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    BTW, Allen and i weren't able to reserve the theatre lobby for that night because there will be a production of Steel Magnolias in the theatre. I for one find this to be a hilarious contrast. I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of all those Steel Magnolias fans when they bump into a group of stormtroopers. Priceless.

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    The theater lobby? Which area is that? Do we need to threaten somebody with the wrath of Lord Vader and his minions? Would that help? :D

16. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    the lobby is the area between the library and the big conference rooms. So we have to walk through the courtyard outside. A hassle, but we're planning on having stuff out there also, so it won't affect the imagery of the whole thing. But a lot of the theatre staff is upset that they'll probably have to work instead of see SW Day/Night, so you guys have the last laugh. Allen and I had hoped to have a good meeting with you guys to start planning, but the telethon was a lot of craziness in a small droid (I'm getting the hang of this forum), but we'll set up a meeting or a conference call and figure things out. The nice thing about having the event after the library is closed is that we get to take over the library. You have no idea how excited, Allen, myself and a ton of the staff are.

One of the theatre supervisors said to me on Saturday that the best picture would have been not of the stormtroopers hanging with the kids (which are amazing photos), but of me skipping behind the check out desk.

Last year i had no idea what to expect. I thought it would be small and mild. But when i saw Allen and you and the others walk out of the story theatre surrounded by stormtroopers I was sold. Everyone said that they had never seen me smile so much. It was really an amazing experience. I wasn't even scheduled to work that day i just showed up to see what was up. It blew my mind. And amongst staff and patrons it became legendary.

I do training presentations for school tours to show them how to use the computer catalog to look up books and i've started inserting slides from Star Wars day. Sure it's pandering but the kids love it. One of the other library staff will mention the programs that we do and then i'll mention Star Wars Day and she gets mad because i steal her thunder. Then again she's never seen Star Wars (i know, i scold her constantly) so she deserves no sympathy. We've already had people start asking about tickets.

Crap, i just remembered i wanted to get you a CD of the pics and vids from last year. Ok, another thing to remind me to get to you.

Last month we had our Black History Month Cultural Arts Night and had 575 people show up. Everyone was very pleased. I expect SWD to blow that number away.

I cannot fully express how great you guys are. And i promise that this year will be so much better.

17. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    Just confirmed that we've got the studio hall for Star Wars Night. If you were at the telethon it's the room that you got dressed up in. Allen and i decided that we'll market it as Star Wars Night, a new promotional graphic is soon to come reflecting the change.

We've also received some interest in some official Lucusarts artists to attend and show off some of their work.

Tomorrow is our meeting with the powers that be about the event, so after that Allen and i will have some good concrete info, or at least the green light to move forward.

18. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006

Adam, that's great news for all of us! Thank you!!

Per Allen, I can post this now:

Ok you can go ahead and post that we've added official Star Wars artists Denise Vasquez and Randy Martinez to our guest list for Star Wars Night 09. They have done art for various Topps Star Wars cards series, cover art for some of the Star Wars novels, and art for Star Wars Insider magazine. Denise and Randy will be displaying their art as well as conducting an interactive panel on how to draw your favorite Star Wars characters.

This SW evening is going to be amazing!

19. benct7

benct7 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2009
    Hey Sonya or Madame President, Ben here. I meet all of you at last weeks meeting. Thank you again for the hospitality. Can one of you PM me on what exactly is Star Wars night at the library. I was wondering if the IEFF is setting up a booth, if kids can come, is it a "meet and greet"? If you can, give me just a basic run down as to what it's all about. I would like to help, and maybe bring the kids, but I could use a little info so I can plan the date as I am the newbie. Thanks.

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Adam or Allen, would one of you like to field this question?

21. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    First and foremost the library is all about kids. The more the merrier and the happier the powers that be will be. If you don't have children handy, find some to bring. The night is geared as a storytime but with a Star Wars theme, but we'll also have stuff for adults and teens. There's some concern that it won't be kid friendly enough. But that comes from a higher up who wasn't there last year. Clearly it's not the case.

So we're thinking of jedi storytimes, darth reading lullabies, i would love to hear him do "itsy bitsy spider", there will be a costume contest for different age groups. some crafts for kids. We've gotten some tentative agreements from a professor to speak about the mythology, and some film director agreements. There might be a local school marching band participating. a local video game vendor setting up some game booths, a light saber duel.

But the core is that it's a kids event, but obviously Star Wars attracts all ages.

We'd also like to do a display of SW collectibles. We'll have some SW modded vehicles.

Plus a bunch of other tentative stuff and stuff i can't remember.

Some library people don't realize the power of the force when it comes to kids. Allen and I are going to prove them greatly wrong. We all know that.

Don't know if we'll be able to do the balloon light sabers this year. The stormtroopers are too outnumbered.

Think of it as a SW convention that's designed for kids. A kids introduction to SW fandom.

That's not to say that adults aren't going to have a great time also.

22. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    Looking forward to this event as I see this being a really good PR event for the IEFF and ofcourse the reactions on the kids faces is priceless![face_dancing] :)

By the way, here's a pic of yours truely with Randy Martinez

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/SW30104.jpg]

23. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    I remember looking through a lot of the pictures from the 1st SWD and wondering, "who is that guy", turns out it was Han Shot First. Cool.

The worst part of being on both sides of this is that i want to share so many tentative plans and tentative agreements, while also recognizing that it wouldn't be fair or right to the parties involved. But expect some cool news to start leaking soon.

For those of you interested in what SWD (Night) is all about, here are some pictures from last year.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchopl/sets/72157605653594761/

Allen & I have every intention to allow the IEFF to have an official presence. My disclaimer is that on this board i speak as a fan and an insider, i can always be overruled by the powers that be, but you have my word that the contribution of IEFF and all parties involved will never be denigrated or not fully recognized. Give me a bit to ascertain the specifics of how we can accomodate the IEFF to promote the group.

I've felt a strange amount of scrutiny surrounding SWN, and i've come to the conclusion that they're just jealous. It's going to be so awesome that it makes all other programs look bad. I've got stories from our meetings that would make your brain hurt.

BTW i watched one of the children's librarians helping a kid find one of those big SW books and she asked if he knew when Star Wars Day was, and he of course did. We have yet to start our marketing blitz (think '85 Bears).

Bottom line is that it's going to be fun and worth everyone's while, and if it's not i give you permission to personally seek me out and yell at me. So you've got my personal guarantee.

24. benct7

benct7 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2009
    Hey folks. I have passed along the info about Star Wars nite to some guys at work and they were blown away with the photos on the IEFF website. They can't wait until may. Everyone has said their kids keep bugging them for more info, so as soon as it's posted I will forward it. I have 4 families plus mine that are confirmed, and a few more that are interested.

25. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    If i may act the part of a shill for a moment. The hope is that when people come, if they get a chance, they sign up for a library card. Our funding is directly related to the number of card holders we have, the funding of course directly affects the size of the programs that we can do (such as SWN). And, if Allen and I can show that events like SWN increases membership and interest in the library, it means we can do bigger and better events each time. Cards are absolutely free and it doesn't matter where you live. You can find applications here http://rcpl.lib.ca.us/card.htm, or at the check out desk. It only takes a couple of minutes to enter the info into the computer, and you can check out books, DVDS, and video games that same day. So it makes the library directorial group look good, which convinces them to give Allen and I more freedom, so it's really just a self serving way to allow Allen and I do do bigger events every year.

Sorry for the sales pitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.